* Persistent clocks
@ 2008-07-30  1:08 Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2008-07-30  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm a reticent poster, but long time subscriber, of this mailing list.
 Recently I've started using org-mode more seriously, and for various
reasons which are not important, I find the current clock
implementation of limited usefulness.  Basically, I may restart Emacs
multiple times each day, and what I'm wondering is whether persistent
clocks would be easy or even useful to implement.  If it's easier to
change my habits than org-mode, I'm open to that.

The behavior I'm thinking seems simple:
  - keep the clock information in drawers (as it already seems to be)
  - when a new org-mode file is opened and there's no clock running,
scan the file for any unfinished clocks.  If there is one, restart a
clock from the appropriate start time.  If there is more than one,
signal an error.

That implementation wouldn't require serialising the clock state to a
different location --- just restarting the clock that was active when
Emacs was killed.

Does this idea make sense, and would it be useful to anyone?  Or
should I think about adapting my workflow to pay attention to the
clock more?

--
 Denis