* Only Clock in Top-Level Task
@ 2009-11-10 23:39 Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-11-10 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

This is what my project.org looks like:

* STARTED My Project 			       :NEXT:
   :LOGBOOK:...

** TODO Task 1 [0/2]
*** TODO Sub-Task 1
*** TODO Sub-Task 2

This is what I'd like to do:

I'd like to be able to clock in from Task 1, Sub-Task 1, or Sub-Task 2,
but make org-mode add the clock entries into the :LOGBOOK: of My
Project, i.e. the top-level task/project.  In other words, I'm not
interested in keeping track of how much time I spent on Task 1, or any
of the sub-tasks, I'm only interested in the time I've spent on working
on My Project.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks and Cheers
Markus

* Re: Only Clock in Top-Level Task
@ 2009-11-11  1:42 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-11-11  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This is what my project.org looks like:
>
> * STARTED My Project 			       :NEXT:
>   :LOGBOOK:...
>
> ** TODO Task 1 [0/2]
> *** TODO Sub-Task 1
> *** TODO Sub-Task 2
>
> This is what I'd like to do:
>
> I'd like to be able to clock in from Task 1, Sub-Task 1, or Sub-Task
> 2, but make org-mode add the clock entries into the :LOGBOOK: of My
> Project, i.e. the top-level task/project.  In other words, I'm not
> interested in keeping track of how much time I spent on Task 1, or any
> of the sub-tasks, I'm only interested in the time I've spent on
> working on My Project.
>
> Is there anyway to do this?

C-c C-x C-d will total time for a task including times on a subtask.

-Bernt

* Re: Only Clock in Top-Level Task
@ 2009-11-12 18:48   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-11-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is what my project.org looks like:
>>
>> * STARTED My Project 			       :NEXT:
>>   :LOGBOOK:...
>>
>> ** TODO Task 1 [0/2]
>> *** TODO Sub-Task 1
>> *** TODO Sub-Task 2
>>
>> This is what I'd like to do:
>>
>> I'd like to be able to clock in from Task 1, Sub-Task 1, or Sub-Task
>> 2, but make org-mode add the clock entries into the :LOGBOOK: of My
>> Project, i.e. the top-level task/project.  In other words, I'm not
>> interested in keeping track of how much time I spent on Task 1, or any
>> of the sub-tasks, I'm only interested in the time I've spent on
>> working on My Project.
>>
>> Is there anyway to do this?
>
> C-c C-x C-d will total time for a task including times on a subtask.
>
> -Bernt

Hi Bernt,

I saw this option in the manual, but this is not quite what I want.
What I'd like to be able to is clock in from any sub-task and be clocked
into the *top-level* task, not the task I'm clocking in from.

Is that feasible?  Or am I too confusing?

Thanks

@ 2009-11-12 20:00     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-11-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

Q> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This is what my project.org looks like:
>>>
>>> * STARTED My Project 			       :NEXT:
>>>   :LOGBOOK:...
>>>
>>> ** TODO Task 1 [0/2]
>>> *** TODO Sub-Task 1
>>> *** TODO Sub-Task 2
>>>
>>> This is what I'd like to do:
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to clock in from Task 1, Sub-Task 1, or Sub-Task
>>> 2, but make org-mode add the clock entries into the :LOGBOOK: of My
>>> Project, i.e. the top-level task/project.  In other words, I'm not
>>> interested in keeping track of how much time I spent on Task 1, or any
>>> of the sub-tasks, I'm only interested in the time I've spent on
>>> working on My Project.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to do this?
>>
>> C-c C-x C-d will total time for a task including times on a subtask.
>>
>> -Bernt
>
> Hi Bernt,
>
> I saw this option in the manual, but this is not quite what I
> want. What I'd like to be able to is clock in from any sub-task and be
> clocked into the *top-level* task, not the task I'm clocking in from.
>
> Is that feasible?  Or am I too confusing?

There is nothing I'm aware of that is built in which will accomplish
what you want.  You might be able to use the org-clock-in-hook and
custom lisp code to clock in the top-most parent task.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Only Clock in Top-Level Task
@ 2009-11-12 23:51       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-12 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Markus Heller, emacs-orgmode

On Nov 12, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Q> Bernt Hansen wrote:

>>> C-c C-x C-d will total time for a task including times on a subtask.
>>>
>>> -Bernt
>>
>> Hi Bernt,
>>
>> I saw this option in the manual, but this is not quite what I
>> want. What I'd like to be able to is clock in from any sub-task and
>> be
>> clocked into the *top-level* task, not the task I'm clocking in from.
>>
>> Is that feasible?  Or am I too confusing?
>
> There is nothing I'm aware of that is built in which will accomplish
> what you want.  You might be able to use the org-clock-in-hook and
> custom lisp code to clock in the top-most parent task.

Indeed, this is not implemented, and I have a hard time seeing why
this would be desirable?  Summing i always hierarchical, so the time
will be shown in the parent time anyway.

- Carsten

* Re: Only Clock in Top-Level Task
@ 2009-11-13  0:19         ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-11-13  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Bernt,
>>>
>>> I saw this option in the manual, but this is not quite what I
>>> want. What I'd like to be able to is clock in from any sub-task and be
>>> clocked into the *top-level* task, not the task I'm clocking in from.
>>>
>>> Is that feasible?  Or am I too confusing?
>>
>> There is nothing I'm aware of that is built in which will accomplish
>> what you want.  You might be able to use the org-clock-in-hook and
>> custom lisp code to clock in the top-most parent task.
>
> Indeed, this is not implemented, and I have a hard time seeing why this
> would be desirable?  Summing i always hierarchical, so the time will be
> shown in the parent time anyway.

Thanks for the reply, Carsten (and Bernt of course).

The reason why I'm asking is I started out with clocking tasks using a
really simple setup (I consider myself a bloody org newbie) where I only
had level 1 tasks.  Now, I've added level 2 and level 3 tasks, and I
wondered if my sudden clocking of level 2 tasks would screw up the clock
summary.

Good to know that it won't, this'll help me in using org more effciently.

Thanks for org-mode, btw, it's a really great thing!

Markus