* ranges of rows in other columns
@ 2006-06-26 20:39 Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2006-06-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* ranges of rows in other columns
@ 2006-06-28  4:13 ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-06-28  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: austin.frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

calc may be your friend here.

We should create a couple recipes for passing a row or column
from org to calc and getting it back -- then we can do all the
computes on the calc side.

Calc has an "embed" mode that works very well out of the box
inside text LaTeX and consequently org files; would be nice to
take org's table minor mode and couple it with calc's vector
capabilities

    Austin> Hello all--
    Austin>
    Austin> I'm looking for help in setting up a calculation in a
    Austin> table in org mode.  I'd like to keep a running
    Austin> average of my past three days worth of measurements.
    Austin> Something like
    Austin>
    Austin> |------------------+-----------------+-----------------|
    Austin> | Date | TV Time (hours) | Running Average |
    Austin> |------------------+-----------------+-----------------|
    Austin> | <2006-06-24 Sat> | 1 | | | <2006-06-25 Sun> | 1.5 |
    Austin> | | <2006-06-26 Mon> | .5 | 1 | | <2006-06-27 Tue> |
    Austin> 3 | 1.66 | | <2006-06-28 Wed> | 2.5 | 2 |
    Austin> |------------------+-----------------+-----------------|
    Austin>
    Austin> I just did the numbers for running average in my
    Austin> head-- I'm hoping for help with a formula that will
    Austin> get the mean for the last three rows of the `TV Time'
    Austin> column.  I tried using $3=vsum($2&3-1), but this
    Austin> didn't work.
    Austin>
    Austin> Is there a syntax for accessing row ranges of other
    Austin> columns for a calculation?  If not, can anyone
    Austin> suggest an elisp formula that will accomplish this?
    Austin>
    Austin> If a helpful soul is feeling especially generous, is
    Austin> there also a way to set this table up that will
    Austin> calculate the new running average every time I enter
    Austin> a new date's measurement?  Extra credit if you use
    Austin> Carsten's constants.el to provide units in the
    Austin> measurment column and the calculated column ;)
    Austin>
    Austin> Thanks for any help, /au -----BEGIN PGP
    Austin> SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (Darwin)
    Austin> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -
    Austin> http://enigmail.mozdev.org
    Austin>
    Austin> iD8DBQFEoEX8lHMl2/XbR4ERAgQMAKDb48ZGq4JlA8NU4g6jBtV/BG3DBwCfb5at
    Austin> OHz4gmF2ONOcPhOUPGWbXow= =zkAf -----END PGP
    Austin> SIGNATURE-----

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: ranges of rows in other columns
@ 2006-06-28  9:20 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-28  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Unfortunately, this is beyond the current syntax
envelope for table equations in org-mode.

I could widen that envelope, but not soon.

- Carsten

On Jun 26, 2006, at 22:39, Austin Frank wrote:

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam