* Choosing external app at runtime?
@ 2010-04-16  5:35 Simon Guest
From: Simon Guest @ 2010-04-16  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi all,

When I follow a link, Org mode knows what application to use.  Except
that sometimes I want to override that choice.

For example, I have a collection of PDF files.  Mostly I want to open
them in my statically configured PDF viewer, which is fine.  But
sometimes I want to open one in Xournal, say, to annotate it.

My mail client Wanderlust will ask me in cases like this: if multiple
mailcap entries match, I get to choose when opening the attachment.

Any chance we could do a similar thing in Org mode?

cheers,
Simon

* Re: Choosing external app at runtime?
@ 2010-04-18  6:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-18  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Guest; +Cc: Org Mode

On Apr 16, 2010, at 7:35 AM, Simon Guest wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I follow a link, Org mode knows what application to use.  Except
> that sometimes I want to override that choice.
>
> For example, I have a collection of PDF files.  Mostly I want to open
> them in my statically configured PDF viewer, which is fine.  But
> sometimes I want to open one in Xournal, say, to annotate it.
>
> My mail client Wanderlust will ask me in cases like this: if multiple
> mailcap entries match, I get to choose when opening the attachment.
>
> Any chance we could do a similar thing in Org mode?

Currently we do not have this.  I can see that this could be both
useful and annoying, if you have to answer a prompt each time.

- Carsten

* Re: Choosing external app at runtime?
@ 2010-04-18  8:18   ` Simon Guest
From: Simon Guest @ 2010-04-18  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

At Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:24:41 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2010, at 7:35 AM, Simon Guest wrote:
> > When I follow a link, Org mode knows what application to use.  Except
> > that sometimes I want to override that choice.
>
> Currently we do not have this.  I can see that this could be both
> useful and annoying, if you have to answer a prompt each time.

If the choice was only offered when a C-u prefix was given, it
wouldn't be annoying.

What do you think?

@ 2010-04-19 17:53     ` Ali Tofigh
From: Ali Tofigh @ 2010-04-19 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Guest; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 04:18, Simon Guest <simon.guest@tesujimath.org> wrote:
> At Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:24:41 +0200,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 16, 2010, at 7:35 AM, Simon Guest wrote:
>> > When I follow a link, Org mode knows what application to use.  Except
>> > that sometimes I want to override that choice.
>>
>> Currently we do not have this.  I can see that this could be both
>> useful and annoying, if you have to answer a prompt each time.
>
> If the choice was only offered when a C-u prefix was given, it
> wouldn't be annoying.

I would find this useful as well. just my 2 cents....

Cheers,
/Ali

@ 2010-04-19 18:51     ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Simon Guest <simon.guest@tesujimath.org> writes:

> At Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:24:41 +0200,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 16, 2010, at 7:35 AM, Simon Guest wrote:
>> > When I follow a link, Org mode knows what application to use.  Except
>> > that sometimes I want to override that choice.
>>
>> Currently we do not have this.  I can see that this could be both
>> useful and annoying, if you have to answer a prompt each time.
>
> If the choice was only offered when a C-u prefix was given, it
> wouldn't be annoying.
>
> What do you think?
>
> cheers,
> Simon

That's what _I_ was going to say!

* Re: Choosing external app at runtime?
@ 2010-04-27  9:19       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-27  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Tofigh; +Cc: Org Mode

On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Ali Tofigh wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 04:18, Simon Guest
> <simon.guest@tesujimath.org> wrote:
>> At Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:24:41 +0200,
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> Currently we do not have this.  I can see that this could be both
>>> useful and annoying, if you have to answer a prompt each time.
>>
>> If the choice was only offered when a C-u prefix was given, it
>> wouldn't be annoying.

This is a reasonable approach - but I don't know how the Emacs mailcap
interface treats multiple matches.  Who does?

Currently we use the C-u prefix to force opening a link in Emacs, but
we can find a solution here.

A patch implementing the ability to select an application in this way
would be seriously considered.

- Carsten