* GitHub
@ 2010-05-22  6:24 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-22  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Hi,

since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode to
be hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.

Could someone spell out for me what steps I would have to take to do
this?
In particular:

- How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?
- Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
   automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
   pulling?
- Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
   new clone from the new location, right?

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-22  7:34 ` Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-22  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Arrgh, typo, I *am* considering!  :-)
On May 22, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode
> to be hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.
>
> Could someone spell out for me what steps I would have to take to do
> this?
> In particular:
>
> - How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?
> - Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
>  automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
>  pulling?
> - Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
>  new clone from the new location, right?
>
> Anything else I need to consider?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-22 10:45   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-05-22 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu, Carsten Dominik

On 22/05/10 08:34, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Arrgh, typo, I *am* considering!  :-)
> On May 22, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode to
>> be hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.
>>
>> Could someone spell out for me what steps I would have to take to do
>> this?
>> In particular:
>>
>> - How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?
>> - Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
>> automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
>> pulling?
>> - Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
>> new clone from the new location, right?
>>
>> Anything else I need to consider?

You just need to create an account on github and follow their
instructions on how create a new repo. When you create your account
github gives some easy to follow steps to get you up and running.

For creating a mirror you basically need to create another remote
branch, or use an existing one, then push to it. The following url gives
some examples on how to create a mirror repo on github, but should work
if you want to use repo.or.cz as the mirror:
https://wincent.com/wiki/Setting_up_backup_(mirror)_repositories_on_GitHub

Ian.

* Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-22 12:52 ` Matt Lundin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-05-22 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Hi Carsten,

> since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode to
> be hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.
>
> Could someone spell out for me what steps I would have to take to do
> this?
> In particular:
>
> - How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?
> - Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
>   automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
>   pulling?

+1 for keeping a mirror on repo.or.cz. I prefer its simple, no-nonsense
web interface.

Does this mean that Worg will also switch to github or will it stay on
repo.or.cz?

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-22 12:54 ` tycho garen
From: tycho garen @ 2010-05-22 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

As a brief prelude, I'd like to say that while I think github is a
great service, for development communities, and provides a number of
very enticing features, there are some aspects that make it less than
ideal:

Projects are owned by individual developer's "personal" accounts and
it's sometimes less than intuitive to figure out which fork of the
repository is the "right" one for users not involved in the community.

There's some degree of lock-in, particularly with the features that
repo.or.cz doesn't have. Having said that, git's distributed nature
makes this much less relevant than it would be otherwise.

Having said that the "killer" feature of github is the ease of
creating forks. Repo.or.cz has that, so at least from my perspective,
it's not as big of a draw, but I'm not an active org-mode-code
contributor so I think my opinion here isn't terribly relevant.

But specific questions and answers.

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 08:24:30AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> - How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?

This is the easiest. Get a github account. Create a project, and begin
pushing to this repository. Fundamentally github exists for people who
don't want to manage the infrastructure for hosting remote git
repositories.

> - Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
>   automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
>   pulling?

Yes. I'd need to talk to pasky to make sure there's not another way,
but I think the thing to do is get a repo.or.cz admin (like me) to
re/move the existing org-mode repo out of the way, and then recreate a
new project that clones the git-hub repository.

> - Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
>   new clone from the new location, right?

Almost certainly but I'll defer here.

Cheers!

--
tycho(ish) @
garen@tychoish.com

* Re: Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-22 14:22   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu, Carsten Dominik

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

[...]
> +1 for keeping a mirror on repo.or.cz. I prefer its simple, no-nonsense
> web interface.

+1 for repo.or.cz, while github has many bells and whistles I have come
to prefer the simplicity and more open model at repo.or.cz -- Eric

* Re: GitHub
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-22 17:14 ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-05-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

In the Administration panel for projects on Github there is a section for
Service Hooks which looks like it could be used to mirror the changes to
another repository.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode to be
> hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.
>
> Could someone spell out for me what steps I would have to take to do this?
> In particular:
>
> - How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?
> - Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
>  automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
>  pulling?
> - Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
>  new clone from the new location, right?
>
> Anything else I need to consider?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-22 19:22   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-22 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org-mode-help gnu, Carsten Dominik

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> wrote:

> Arrgh, typo, I *am* considering!  :-)
> On May 22, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode
> > to be hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.

I may not have seen the whole discussion (I'd appreciate a whack on the
head plus a pointer to the relevant post(s) in that case), but it seemed
to me there was no real point in moving to github. The only advantage
might be the issues feature that github apparently provides, but I
thought that things were moving in a different direction anyway. So what
did I miss?

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-23  5:14     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-23  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

On May 22, 2010, at 9:22 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> wrote:
>
>> Arrgh, typo, I *am* considering!  :-)
>> On May 22, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode
>>> to be hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.
>>>

> I may not have seen the whole discussion (I'd appreciate a whack on
> the
> head plus a pointer to the relevant post(s) in that case), but it
> seemed
> to me there was no real point in moving to github. The only advantage
> might be the issues feature that github apparently provides, but I
> thought that things were moving in a different direction anyway. So
> what
> did I miss?

Hi Nick,

I think you are right.  While GitHub has some nice features, I see
relatively little that really would benefit the way we do Org
development a lot.

So lets not fix something that is working (Bastien put it like this...)

- Carsten

* Re: GitHub
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-24 16:24 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-05-24 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

(Sorry for the late and probably outdated answer.)

> - Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
>   new clone from the new location, right?

Right :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: GitHub
@ 2010-05-31  7:20   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-31  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Hi Matt,

you might want to consider adding support for the Dropbox API to
MobileOrg Android.  I am currently testing this setup with Richard's
beta.  It is vastly superior compared to the webdav stuff, at least in
terms of user setup required and hickups that can cause problems.  In
the future, I see webdav as the backup solution for people who cannot
use dropbox for some reason.

I think the implementation is not hard - you might want to ask Richard
about it.

Thanks for making MobileOrg Android a reality - I see the chatter
about it picking up!

Cheers

On May 22, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Matthew Jones wrote:

> In the Administration panel for projects on Github there is a
> section for Service Hooks which looks like it could be used to
> mirror the changes to another repository.
>
> 73,
> Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
> http://matburt.net
>

> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode
> to be hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.
>
> Could someone spell out for me what steps I would have to take to do
> this?
> In particular:
>
> - How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?
> - Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
>  automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
>  pulling?
> - Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
>  new clone from the new location, right?
>
> Anything else I need to consider?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: GitHub
@ 2010-06-02 19:46     ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-06-02 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Maybe this is a silly question but

Is it possible to use UbuntuOne as an alternative to DropBox?

https://one.ubuntu.com

Daniel

2010/5/31 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>

> Hi Matt,
>
> you might want to consider adding support for the Dropbox API to MobileOrg
> Android.  I am currently testing this setup with Richard's beta.  It is
> vastly superior compared to the webdav stuff, at least in terms of user
> setup required and hickups that can cause problems.  In the future, I see
> webdav as the backup solution for people who cannot use dropbox for some
> reason.
>
> I think the implementation is not hard - you might want to ask Richard
> about it.
>
> Thanks for making MobileOrg Android a reality - I see the chatter about it
> picking up!
>
> Cheers
>

> On May 22, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Matthew Jones wrote:
>
>  In the Administration panel for projects on Github there is a section for
>> Service Hooks which looks like it could be used to mirror the changes to
>> another repository.
>>
>> 73,
>> Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
>> http://matburt.net
>>

>> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Carsten Dominik <
>> carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> since a number of you have voiced a strong preference for Org-mode to be
>> hosted on GitHub, I am not considering such a step.
>>
>> Could someone spell out for me what steps I would have to take to do this?
>> In particular:
>>
>> - How do I get the entire current repo onto GitHub?
>> - Can I set up repo.or.cz in a way that it will become an
>>  automatic mirror, so that old clones will continue to be updated when
>>  pulling?
>> - Bastien - I guess on the web server, we would simply make a
>>  new clone from the new location, right?
>>
>> Anything else I need to consider?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Carsten

> - Carsten

* Re: GitHub
@ 2010-06-03 10:29       ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-06-03 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

On 02/06/10 20:46, Daniel Martins wrote:
> Maybe this is a silly question but
>
> Is it possible to use UbuntuOne as an alternative to DropBox?
>
> https://one.ubuntu.com

Not silly at all. Yes you can. There a couple of differences:

Ubuntu One handles symlinks differently to Dropbox.
Ubuntu One is not cross platform.

There may be differences in the default free data allowance, but I can't
check this at the moment.

Ian.