* Final Question: Usage
@ 2010-04-28 17:57 David Frascone
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-28 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm still using a monolithic file to inplement my DGTD (Dave's GTD).  I'm
not as anal as TOD (The other Dave, Dave Allen), and I don't run a strict
inbox.

What I do want is:
1)  a place to keep track of live projects, bugs, conversations, etc.
2) A place for notes
3) A place to track TODO's
4) A way to archive off done stuff.

So far, orgmode does the above with ease.  But, I am starting to run into
walls.

know about it till I add it.  Should I be using agenda mode to track todos?
(This goes with my calendar questions a bit in the other mail).  If I do use
agenda mode, how do I add multiple files?

How do I work with multiple files?  Is there an easy way to jump back and
forth from them, if I start making one file for Bugs, one for Escalations,
one for projects, one for notes, etc?

Finally -- and this is my biggest stumbling block:  Status reporting
I'm looking for some way to generate a status report of what I've been
working on.  So, this report should contain anything that has been modified
in the last week.  (I drop date stamps a lot).  Also, the report should
include extra flagged items, even if they did not get work.  (i.e.
Background tasks that are starving should be noted -- but, since not all
tasks / entries are background tasks, I'd make some custom tag, like,
"reportme" that should be reported, regardless)

I'm trying to generate a status view like that, export to HTML, and e-mail
it to my pointy haired boss . . . . any way to do that?

-Dave

* Re: Final Question: Usage
@ 2010-04-28 20:01 ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2010-04-28 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> wrote:

> I'm still using a monolithic file to inplement my DGTD (Dave's GTD).  I'm
> not as anal as TOD (The other Dave, Dave Allen), and I don't run a strict
> inbox.
>
> What I do want is:
> 1)  a place to keep track of live projects, bugs, conversations, etc.
> 2) A place for notes
> 3) A place to track TODO's
> 4) A way to archive off done stuff.
>
> So far, orgmode does the above with ease.  But, I am starting to run into
> walls.

> know about it till I add it.  Should I be using agenda mode to track todos?
> (This goes with my calendar questions a bit in the other mail).  If I do use
> agenda mode, how do I add multiple files?
>
> How do I work with multiple files?  Is there an easy way to jump back and
> forth from them, if I start making one file for Bugs, one for Escalations,
> one for projects, one for notes, etc?
>
> Finally -- and this is my biggest stumbling block:  Status reporting
> I'm looking for some way to generate a status report of what I've been
> working on.  So, this report should contain anything that has been modified
> in the last week.  (I drop date stamps a lot).  Also, the report should
> include extra flagged items, even if they did not get work.  (i.e.
> Background tasks that are starving should be noted -- but, since not all
> tasks / entries are background tasks, I'd make some custom tag, like,
> "reportme" that should be reported, regardless)
>
> I'm trying to generate a status view like that, export to HTML, and e-mail
> it to my pointy haired boss . . . . any way to do that?

David, this is a good opportunity to point you towards some of the
things that have
helped me the most w/org mode.

First, before I posted a question to the list, I would search the mailing
list archive on gmane.  There's a Search box right on the main org-mode page
http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-5_2

Second, Bernt's org-mode website is awesome -- he goes through every detail
about how he uses org-mode, /and/ he shows you the settings and keyboard
shortcuts that he uses:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Third, Worg has some awesome tutorials by misc. people:
http://orgmode.org/worg/

And finally, I would recommend that you split up e-mails like this into specific
questions.  For example, this e-mail contained at least 2 big
questions -- how to
store your org files, and how to create pointy-haired status reports
:-)  Both of those
subjects are very broad, so in the future I suggest breaking your
e-mail into at least
two or more e-mails.

HTH,

--Nate

> -Dave

* Re: Final Question: Usage
@ 2010-04-28 21:31 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-28 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

> I'm still using a monolithic file to inplement my DGTD (Dave's GTD).
> I'm not as anal as TOD (The other Dave, Dave Allen), and I don't run a
> strict inbox.
>
> What I do want is:
> 1)  a place to keep track of live projects, bugs, conversations, etc.
> 2) A place for notes
> 3) A place to track TODO's
> 4) A way to archive off done stuff.
>
> So far, orgmode does the above with ease.  But, I am starting to run
> into walls.

> doesn't know about it till I add it.  Should I be using agenda mode to
> track todos?  (This goes with my calendar questions a bit in the other
> mail).  If I do use agenda mode, how do I add multiple files?
>
> How do I work with multiple files?  Is there an easy way to jump back
> and forth from them, if I start making one file for Bugs, one for
> Escalations, one for projects, one for notes, etc?
>
> Finally -- and this is my biggest stumbling block:  Status reporting
> I'm looking for some way to generate a status report of what I've been
> working on.  So, this report should contain anything that has been
> modified in the last week.  (I drop date stamps a lot).  Also, the
> report should include extra flagged items, even if they did not get
> work.  (i.e. Background tasks that are starving should be noted --
> but, since not all tasks / entries are background tasks, I'd make some
> custom tag, like, "reportme" that should be reported, regardless)
>
> I'm trying to generate a status view like that, export to HTML, and
> e-mail it to my pointy haired boss . . . . any way to do that?

The agenda is your friend.  You can have multiple files in the agenda
all contributing to views of your todo lists in agenda views.

C-c [ adds the current file to org-agenda-files so just visit multiple
files you want in your agenda and C-c [ once in each.

Now C-c a t will show all todos in all your files.  C-c a a shows a
calendar view (day/week).

I navigate to things only from the agenda.

You'll want log view in the agenda or something similar for status
reporting.  You can export agenda views but I've never done it :)

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Final Question: Usage
@ 2010-04-29  8:43 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-04-29  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

> doesn't know about it till I add it.  Should I be using agenda mode to
> track todos?  (This goes with my calendar questions a bit in the other
> mail).  If I do use agenda mode, how do I add multiple files?

You can define a variable for this.

(defvar org-gtd-file "~/aktuell/mygtd.org")
(defvar org-gtd-other-files)

(setq org-gtd-file "~/aktuell/mygtd.org")
(setf org-gtd-other-files (list "~/aktuell/notes.org"))
(setf org-agenda-files (cons org-gtd-file org-gtd-other-files))

The fourth line can contain as many files as you want to be evaluated by
the agenda-view, separated by space.

> How do I work with multiple files?  Is there an easy way to jump back
> and forth from them, if I start making one file for Bugs, one for
> Escalations, one for projects, one for notes, etc?

You can use bookmarks, buffer-cycling, links or just define keys to find
the files.

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: Final Question: Usage
@ 2010-04-29 21:23   ` Stephan Schmitt
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2010-04-29 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
>
>> How do I work with multiple files?  Is there an easy way to jump back
>> and forth from them, if I start making one file for Bugs, one for
>> Escalations, one for projects, one for notes, etc?
>
> You can use bookmarks, buffer-cycling, links or just define keys to find
> the files.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sven

You can also bind the function org-iswitchb to a key of your choice.

Greetings,
	Stephan