* question concerning table mode / vsum / automatic adjustments of indices
@ 2008-08-27 11:35 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-08-27 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Benedikt Pfülb

I mostly have the same application of using org tables.
I have (many) columns with numbers and want to see the sum in the last row.

See this little example:

        |-------+--------|
        | items | amount |
        |-------+--------|
        | a     |    0.5 |
        | b     |    0.0 |
        | c     |    0.5 |
        |-------+--------|
        | sum   |     1. |
        |-------+--------|
#+TBLFM:    @5$2=vsum(@2..4)

Having the cursor on the row with "c"
and pressing <M-S-DOWN> I get this:

        |-------+--------|
        | items | amount |
        |-------+--------|
        | a     |    0.5 |
        | b     |    0.0 |
        |       |        |
        | c     |    0.5 |
        |-------+--------|
        | sum   |     1. |
        |-------+--------|
#+TBLFM:    @6$2=vsum(@2..@5)

everything is adjusted correctly!

Now I want to add a row after "c". Being on the row below "c"
when I press <M-S-DOWN> I get this:

        |-------+--------|
        | items | amount |
        |-------+--------|
        | a     |    0.5 |
        | b     |    0.0 |
        | c     |    0.5 |
        |       |        |
        |-------+--------|
        | sum   |     1. |
        |-------+--------|
#+TBLFM:    @6$2=vsum(@2..@4)

which is not what I want. I want "@5" as in the case before.
Is this a bug or a feature? How can I get what I need?

Thanks!

Rainer

* Re: question concerning table mode / vsum / automatic adjustments of indices
@ 2008-08-29 11:27 ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2008-08-29 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: Benedikt Pfülb, emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Rainer Stengele
<rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
> Now I want to add a row after "c". Being on the row below "c"
> when I press <M-S-DOWN> I get this:
>
>       |-------+--------|
>       | items | amount |
>       |-------+--------|
>       | a     |    0.5 |
>       | b     |    0.0 |
>       | c     |    0.5 |
>       |       |        |
>       |-------+--------|
>       | sum   |     1. |
>       |-------+--------|
> #+TBLFM:    @6$2=vsum(@2..@4)
>
> which is not what I want. I want "@5" as in the case before.
> Is this a bug or a feature? How can I get what I need?

The way you have written the vsum, org has no way of knowing that you
really want to sum all the rows between the previous two horizontal
lines. Instead, you should put vsum(@-II..@-I) to tell it this
explicitly. That way, you can even add/delete rows "by hand" and it
will still work.

Hope this helps

Will

--

 Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
 Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia