* Wring case when using org-insert-structure-template
@ 2020-07-08 13:04 Guillaume MULLER
From: Guillaume MULLER @ 2020-07-08 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for Org-mode. This is really THE software I needed! I LOVE everything about it! This is the only piece of software I know of that really designed by users for users, with users & efficiency in mind!

I'm using GNU Emacs 26.3, with built-in org 9.1.9.

When I try to automatically insert Structure Templates (e.g. by typing C-c C-, s), I get everything inserted in lowercase (e.g. #+begin_src).

In ALL the documentation pages I read, the snippets are written in uppercase (i.e. #+BEGIN_SRC, like in the main documentation for this feature: https://orgmode.org/org.html#Structure-Templates). I would myself prefer to have the templates inserted in uppercase, as it allows to clearly & visually differentiate between my main document text and the specific instructions for Org.

First question: why isn't the default as in the docs?

Second question: I couldn't find any configuration variable or function to change the default behaviour. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks!

--
Guillaume MULLER
Data Scientist, PhD

* Re: Wring case when using org-insert-structure-template
@ 2020-07-09  8:55 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-07-09  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MULLER; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Guillaume MULLER <guillaume.muller@univ-st-etienne.fr> writes:

> In ALL the documentation pages I read, the snippets are written in
> uppercase (i.e. #+BEGIN_SRC, like in the main documentation for this
> feature: https://orgmode.org/org.html#Structure-Templates). I would
> myself prefer to have the templates inserted in uppercase, as it
> allows to clearly & visually differentiate between my main document
> text and the specific instructions for Org.
>
> First question: why isn't the default as in the docs?

Because it is ugly for the majority of expressed opinion, and
fontification is a more appropriate way to distinguish between contents
and syntax.

The reason why the manual still uses uppercase is explained at (info
"(org) Conventions").

> Second question: I couldn't find any configuration variable or
> function to change the default behaviour. Is there a way to do so?

You can customize `org-structure-template-alist'. I don't remember if
that's possible in Org 9.1.9, tho.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Wring case when using org-insert-structure-template
@ 2020-07-09  9:20 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-07-09  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 03:04:38PM +0200, Guillaume MULLER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for Org-mode. This is really THE software I needed! I LOVE everything about it! This is the only piece of software I know of that really designed by users for users, with users & efficiency in mind!
>
> I'm using GNU Emacs 26.3, with built-in org 9.1.9.
>
> When I try to automatically insert Structure Templates (e.g. by typing C-c C-, s), I get everything inserted in lowercase (e.g. #+begin_src).
>
> In ALL the documentation pages I read, the snippets are written in uppercase (i.e. #+BEGIN_SRC, like in the main documentation for this feature: https://orgmode.org/org.html#Structure-Templates). I would myself prefer to have the templates inserted in uppercase, as it allows to clearly & visually differentiate between my main document text and the specific instructions for Org.
>
> First question: why isn't the default as in the docs?

I think the default moved slowly to lower case. The docs
have stayed as-is. Guessing by the mailing lists, this does
confuse people from time to time.

> Second question: I couldn't find any configuration variable or function to change the default behaviour. Is there a way to do so?

See the (customizable) variable `org-structure-template-alist'.

Cheers
-- t

* Re: Wring case when using org-insert-structure-template
@ 2020-07-10 16:42   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-07-10 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Second question: I couldn't find any configuration variable or
>> function to change the default behaviour. Is there a way to do so?
>
> You can customize `org-structure-template-alist'. I don't remember if
> that's possible in Org 9.1.9, tho.

But you cannot change the case of the begin/end that way, so it would be entered
in mixed case:

#+begin_SRC ...
..
#+end_SRC

(I think - but I have not tested.)
--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler