* electric-pair-mode
@ 2013-12-05 19:16 Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2013-12-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am a new user of org-mode. But I have used electric-pair-mode for
quite a long time, and marking some text and hitting left parenthesis
to parenthesize the marked text has become second nature.

However, if I try this in an org-mode buffer, it erases the marked
text and replaces it with the backwards pair )( instead. Not useful!

So is there a way to make org-self-insert-command compatible with
electric-pair-mode?

– Harald

* Re: electric-pair-mode
@ 2013-12-06 13:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-12-06 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hanche-Olsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Harald,

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> I am a new user of org-mode. But I have used electric-pair-mode for
> quite a long time, and marking some text and hitting left parenthesis
> to parenthesize the marked text has become second nature.
>
> However, if I try this in an org-mode buffer, it erases the marked
> text and replaces it with the backwards pair )( instead. Not useful!
>
> So is there a way to make org-self-insert-command compatible with
> electric-pair-mode?

it works fine for me.  What version of Org are you using?

--
 Bastien

* Re: electric-pair-mode
@ 2013-12-06 17:12   ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2013-12-06 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bzg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> (2013-12-06 13:50:58 UTC)]

> > So is there a way to make org-self-insert-command compatible with
> > electric-pair-mode?
>
> it works fine for me.

I have been told (off list) that delete-selection-mode could be the
culprit. And indeed, turning it off fixes the problem. But I don't
want to du that, as I have gotten quite fond of it. But it could
explain why it works for you. The same person told me that autopair
might be a good alternativ to electric-pair-mode. So I will give that
a shot.

> What version of Org are you using?

It's version 7.9.3f, bundled with the GNU emacs development sources
(as of a month or so ago). That appears to be quite old? I would like
a newer one anyhow, if only for the improved orgstruct-mode.

– Harald

* Re: electric-pair-mode
@ 2013-12-07  7:18     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-12-07  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hanche-Olsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Harald,

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> [Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> (2013-12-06 13:50:58 UTC)]
>
>> > So is there a way to make org-self-insert-command compatible with
>> > electric-pair-mode?
>>
>> it works fine for me.
>
> I have been told (off list) that delete-selection-mode could be the
> culprit. And indeed, turning it off fixes the problem. But I don't
> want to du that, as I have gotten quite fond of it. But it could
> explain why it works for you. The same person told me that autopair
> might be a good alternativ to electric-pair-mode. So I will give that
> a shot.
>
>> What version of Org are you using?
>
> It's version 7.9.3f, bundled with the GNU emacs development sources
> (as of a month or so ago). That appears to be quite old? I would like
> a newer one anyhow, if only for the improved orgstruct-mode.

The bug was present in recent versions of Org too (including 8.2.4),
I just fixed it.

Thanks a lot for reporting this!

--
 Bastien