* How to add custom markup elements and to define custom backends?
@ 2013-09-04  7:06 Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2013-09-04  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: General discussions about Org-mode

Hello,
sometimes I need markup elements than missing in Org mode, for example
combination of both bold and italic. Some backends, for instance html
and latex (with minor exception) support such combinations. So I wonder
1) how to define custom or new markup elements that can be used in
   backends, if it is possible
2) and how to extend or customize (write a custom backend) to take into
   accout these new elements.

Thanks in advance, Vladimir Lomov

--
You will triumph over your enemy.

* Re: How to add custom markup elements and to define custom backends?
@ 2013-09-04  7:15 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-04  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: General discussions about Org-mode

On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:06 AM, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> sometimes I need markup elements than missing in Org mode, for example
> combination of both bold and italic. Some backends, for instance html
> and latex (with minor exception) support such combinations. So I wonder
> 1) how to define custom or new markup elements that can be used in
>   backends, if it is possible
> 2) and how to extend or customize (write a custom backend) to take into
>   accout these new elements.

Hi Vladimir,

Org mode does not support this directly (and to be honest, I know very few applications
where combining different attributes makes a lot of sense).

You could probably play with org-emphasis-alist and org-latex-text-markup-alist to cook something up.
but first I would think very hard about the question if this is really needed and does not create too much visual clutter.

Regards

- Carsten

* Re: How to add custom markup elements and to define custom backends?
@ 2013-09-04  7:33   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-04  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 09:15:56AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:06 AM, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > sometimes I need markup elements than missing in Org mode, for example
> > combination of both bold and italic. Some backends, for instance html
> > and latex (with minor exception) support such combinations. So I wonder
> > 1) how to define custom or new markup elements that can be used in
> >   backends, if it is possible
> > 2) and how to extend or customize (write a custom backend) to take into
> >   accout these new elements.
> >

> Hi Vladimir,
>
> Org mode does not support this directly (and to be honest, I know very few applications
> where combining different attributes makes a lot of sense).
>
> You could probably play with org-emphasis-alist and org-latex-text-markup-alist to cook something up.
> but first I would think very hard about the question if this is really needed and does not create too much visual clutter.

I agree with Carsten on the last point about visual clutter.  That said,
if the OP rarely uses one of the standard mark-ups, say +strikethrough+,
then an export filter overriding the default would do just fine.  For an
example, see here:

<http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#export-filters>

Hope this helps,

--