* How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 13:52 Robert Inder
From: Robert Inder @ 2011-04-19 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've recently started using Org mode in earnest, and in particular using the
time logging stuff.

It's brilliant.

But I have a problem.  I sometimes (well, OK, fairly often, actually!)
forget to clock in/out of jobs.  That's OK, org is "my life in plain text", and
I can simply edit the relevant clock lines to create a correct record
of the day.

BUT....

I worry about messing things up --- getting the times wrong, and either
leaving gaps or creating overlapping activities, or both.

So I'd like a way to review the time-line for a day: a way to see all the
clock-in/clock-out pairs in order, so I can see any gaps or overlaps.

Ideally with the relevant task title as well, to speed up fixing the mistake....

I can't believe I'm the only person to have wanted this, but I can't see an
obvious way to get it.

Is there a way to get this?

Robert

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 13:59 ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-04-19 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> wrote:
> I've recently started using Org mode in earnest, and in particular using the
> time logging stuff.
>
> It's brilliant.
>
> But I have a problem.  I sometimes (well, OK, fairly often, actually!)
> forget to clock in/out of jobs.  That's OK, org is "my life in plain text", and
> I can simply edit the relevant clock lines to create a correct record
> of the day.
>
> BUT....
>
> I worry about messing things up --- getting the times wrong, and either
> leaving gaps or creating overlapping activities, or both.
>
> So I'd like a way to review the time-line for a day: a way to see all the
> clock-in/clock-out pairs in order, so I can see any gaps or overlaps.

Hit l in agenda mode to enable the log mode. Is this what you need?

--
Puneeth

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 15:06   ` Robert Inder
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Robert Inder @ 2011-04-19 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 19 April 2011 14:59, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So I'd like a way to review the time-line for a day: a way to see all the
>> clock-in/clock-out pairs in order, so I can see any gaps or overlaps.
>
> Hit l in agenda mode to enable the log mode. Is this what you need?

Whoa!  Close, but not touching.

I nearly mis-read/understood you.  I initially thought you just meant
"^C-a-L" -- Timeline for current buffer. Which doesn't show any clock-related
information.

But I realise you actually meant that after I've done that, I should type "l"
to get "Log" mode, it DOES show clock-related information.

That's a really neat feature, and it's very close to what I want.  But
not quite right.

It shows me the sequence of activities I logged time to, and how much
time I logged.  But it doesn't show me WHAT  time I logged   I want to
check that (after I have manually edited one or more CLOCK lines) I
haven't missed some time or "double-logged" any.

And I can't see how to get that information.

Robert.

--
Robert Inder,                                    0131 229 1052 / 07808 492 213
Interactive Information Ltd,   3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 15:24     ` Puneeth Chaganti
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-04-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19 April 2011 14:59, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> So I'd like a way to review the time-line for a day: a way to see all the
>>> clock-in/clock-out pairs in order, so I can see any gaps or overlaps.
>>
>> Hit l in agenda mode to enable the log mode. Is this what you need?
>
> Whoa!  Close, but not touching.
>
> I nearly mis-read/understood you.  I initially thought you just meant
> "^C-a-L" -- Timeline for current buffer. Which doesn't show any clock-related
> information.
>
> But I realise you actually meant that after I've done that, I should type "l"
> to get "Log" mode, it DOES show clock-related information.
>
> That's a really neat feature, and it's very close to what I want.  But
> not quite right.
>
> It shows me the sequence of activities I logged time to, and how much
> time I logged.  But it doesn't show me WHAT  time I logged   I want to
> check that (after I have manually edited one or more CLOCK lines) I
> haven't missed some time or "double-logged" any.

What version of org-mode are you using? Org-mode does show me WHAT
time I logged. For instance,

  org-scratch: 20:21-20:51 Clocked:   (0:30) World
  org-scratch: 20:49-20:49 Clocked:   (0:00) Hello

Also, I tried this with out my emacs config. So this is the default
behaviour with the latest version of org-mode. (I don't know if this
was added recently)

HTH,
Puneeth

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 15:33       ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-04-19 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hit l in agenda mode to enable the log mode. Is this what you need?
>>
>> Whoa!  Close, but not touching.
>>
>> I nearly mis-read/understood you.  I initially thought you just meant
>> "^C-a-L" -- Timeline for current buffer. Which doesn't show any clock-related
>> information.
>>
>> But I realise you actually meant that after I've done that, I should type "l"
>> to get "Log" mode, it DOES show clock-related information.
>>
>> That's a really neat feature, and it's very close to what I want.  But
>> not quite right.
>>
>> It shows me the sequence of activities I logged time to, and how much
>> time I logged.  But it doesn't show me WHAT  time I logged   I want to
>> check that (after I have manually edited one or more CLOCK lines) I
>> haven't missed some time or "double-logged" any.
>
> What version of org-mode are you using? Org-mode does show me WHAT
> time I logged. For instance,

>  org-scratch: 20:21-20:51 Clocked:   (0:30) World
>  org-scratch: 20:49-20:49 Clocked:   (0:00) Hello
>
> Also, I tried this with out my emacs config. So this is the default
> behaviour with the latest version of org-mode. (I don't know if this
> was added recently)
>
> HTH,
> Puneeth

Sorry, for replying to myself.  I just realized there has been a
similar thread very recently [0]. Discussion is on, to automate the
checks for overlapping/missing times.

[0] - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00437.html

--
Puneeth

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 15:40     ` MidLifeXis at PerlMonks
From: MidLifeXis at PerlMonks @ 2011-04-19 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

#+BEGIN: clocktable :block today :scope agenda :maxlevel 4 :link 2
#+END: clocktable

You can also use agenda-with-archives for the scope if needed.

@ 2011-04-19 15:41       ` Brian Wightman
From: Brian Wightman @ 2011-04-19 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Never mind - lack of coffee.

@ 2011-04-19 16:11     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-04-19 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> writes:

> On 19 April 2011 14:59, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> So I'd like a way to review the time-line for a day: a way to see all the
>>> clock-in/clock-out pairs in order, so I can see any gaps or overlaps.
>>
>> Hit l in agenda mode to enable the log mode. Is this what you need?
>
> Whoa!  Close, but not touching.
>
> I nearly mis-read/understood you.  I initially thought you just meant
> "^C-a-L" -- Timeline for current buffer. Which doesn't show any clock-related
> information.
>
> But I realise you actually meant that after I've done that, I should type "l"
> to get "Log" mode, it DOES show clock-related information.

You want the regular agenda not the timeline view probably.
Just try this:

 | Key     | Details                         |
 |---------+---------------------------------|
 | C-c a a | Show today's agenda             |
 | l       | Enable display of clock details |

This should show all details of when you clocked in, what etc, and you
can visit the clock line directly by hitting TAB on the clock detail
line in the agenda.

Something like this should be the result:

Day-agenda (W16):
Tuesday    19 April 2011
  todo:        7:31- 8:01 Clocked:   (0:30) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
               8:00...... ----------------
  git:         8:01- 8:03 Clocked:   (0:02) TODO Upgrade git - State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-14 Thu 07:57] :GIT:WORK::@office:
  todo:        8:03- 8:06 Clocked:   (0:03) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::

-Bernt

> That's a really neat feature, and it's very close to what I want.  But
> not quite right.
>
> It shows me the sequence of activities I logged time to, and how much
> time I logged.  But it doesn't show me WHAT  time I logged   I want to
> check that (after I have manually edited one or more CLOCK lines) I
> haven't missed some time or "double-logged" any.
>
> And I can't see how to get that information.
>
> Robert.

* Re: How can I review a day?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-04-19 16:44     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2011-04-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 04:06:12PM +0100, Robert Inder wrote:
> On 19 April 2011 14:59, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> So I'd like a way to review the time-line for a day: a way to see all the
> >> clock-in/clock-out pairs in order, so I can see any gaps or overlaps.
> >
> > Hit l in agenda mode to enable the log mode. Is this what you need?
>
> Whoa!  Close, but not touching.
>
> I nearly mis-read/understood you.  I initially thought you just meant
> "^C-a-L" -- Timeline for current buffer. Which doesn't show any clock-related
> information.
>
> But I realise you actually meant that after I've done that, I should type "l"
> to get "Log" mode, it DOES show clock-related information.
>
> That's a really neat feature, and it's very close to what I want.  But
> not quite right.
>
> It shows me the sequence of activities I logged time to, and how much
> time I logged.  But it doesn't show me WHAT  time I logged   I want to
> check that (after I have manually edited one or more CLOCK lines) I
> haven't missed some time or "double-logged" any.
>
> And I can't see how to get that information.
>
> Robert.
>

> --
> Robert Inder, ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?0131 229 1052 / 07808 492 213
> Interactive Information Ltd, ? 3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH
> Registered in Scotland, Company no. SC 150689
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Interactions speak louder than words

I do this with inactive timestamps. I've trained myself to insert an
inactive time stamp (via single keypress) every time I change tasks or
leave my computer and come back. This isn't explicitly for time
tracking, its more for logging what I did when and is freeform as
opposed to clock in/out.

Then when I want to see my timeline, I pull up an agenda with log mode
and then hit '[' to turn on display of inactive timestamps. It's
super!

Good luck.

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 16:49       ` Robert Inder
From: Robert Inder @ 2011-04-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 19 April 2011 17:11, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> You want the regular agenda not the timeline view probably.
> Just try this:
>
>  | Key     | Details                         |
>  |---------+---------------------------------|
>  | C-c a a | Show today's agenda             |
>  | l       | Enable display of clock details |

Oooooh!  YES!

That's just what I wanted.  Only better!

It needs to be documented, though...

Robert.

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-19 17:12         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-04-19 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> writes:

> On 19 April 2011 17:11, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>>
>> You want the regular agenda not the timeline view probably.
>> Just try this:
>>
>>  | Key     | Details                         |
>>  |---------+---------------------------------|
>>  | C-c a a | Show today's agenda             |
>>  | l       | Enable display of clock details |
>
> Oooooh!  YES!
>
> That's just what I wanted.  Only better!
>
> It needs to be documented, though...

Hi Robert,

From section 10.5 of the org-mode manual

`v l  or short  l     (`org-agenda-log-mode')'
     Toggle Logbook mode.  In Logbook mode, entries that were marked
     DONE while logging was on (variable `org-log-done') are shown in
     the agenda, as are entries that have been clocked on that day.
     You can configure the entry types that should be included in log
     mode using the variable `org-agenda-log-mode-items'.  When called
     with a `C-u' prefix, show all possible logbook entries, including
     state changes.  When called with two prefix args `C-u C-u', show
     only logging information, nothing else.  `v L' is equivalent to
     `C-u v l'.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve this please let us know.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-20  6:52       ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-04-20  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Robert Inder, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> writes:

>>> Hit l in agenda mode to enable the log mode. Is this what you need?
>>
>> Whoa!  Close, but not touching.
>>
>> I nearly mis-read/understood you.  I initially thought you just meant
>> "^C-a-L" -- Timeline for current buffer. Which doesn't show any clock-related
>> information.
>>
>> But I realise you actually meant that after I've done that, I should type "l"
>> to get "Log" mode, it DOES show clock-related information.
>
> You want the regular agenda not the timeline view probably.
> Just try this:
>
>  | Key     | Details                         |
>  |---------+---------------------------------|
>  | C-c a a | Show today's agenda             |
>  | l       | Enable display of clock details |
>
> This should show all details of when you clocked in, what etc, and you
> can visit the clock line directly by hitting TAB on the clock detail
> line in the agenda.

Sorry for being unclear with my help. I had actually meant the same thing.

--
Puneeth

* Re: How can I review a day?
@ 2011-04-20  8:47           ` Robert Inder
From: Robert Inder @ 2011-04-20  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 19 April 2011 18:12, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> From section 10.5 of the org-mode manual

> `v l  or short  l     (`org-agenda-log-mode')'
>     Toggle Logbook mode.  In Logbook mode, entries that were marked
>     DONE while logging was on (variable `org-log-done') are shown in
>     the agenda, as are entries that have been clocked on that day.
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     You can configure the entry types that should be included in log
>     mode using the variable `org-agenda-log-mode-items'.  When called
>     with a `C-u' prefix, show all possible logbook entries, including
>     state changes.  When called with two prefix args `C-u C-u', show
>     only logging information, nothing else.  `v L' is equivalent to
>     `C-u v l'.
>
> If you have any suggestions on how to improve this please let us know.

Well, I would have said "a pointer/cross-reference from
the "Clocking work time" section".

But actually, I see there *is* a link, at the foot of 8.4.1.
But I didn't see it (or its significance did not register).

Trying to re-construct my previous mental state, I think I
believed that the "Agenda" seemed to be about TODOs and
the like, and I'm not currently using that.  So I didn't
look/see the options that it offers, and nothing cued me
to the fact that it could/would display clocked time.

SO, two suggestions that would have maybe helped me:

The "full monty" solution would be to create a new sub-section
on "Correcting clocked time", and actually spell out what
you can do to fix up your clocked time when the you
realise you've done it wrong.

And add a sentence or two at the end of the first para of 8.4, saying that
clocked working time can be shown in some Agenda displays, and
mentioning the "l" option.

((Good grief!  While writing this, I've just tried the command again,
  and noticed that all previous activity on the current task is
  highlighted.  NEAT!  ))

Anyway, I'm a happy camper.  Thanks for all your help.

> Regards,
> Bernt

Robert.