* Displaying images inline
@ 2008-08-22 21:52 Lindsay Todd
From: Lindsay Todd @ 2008-08-22 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to link to a file containing an image, and have the
image display inline in org-mode?  I know that if the org file is
exported to HTML, it can be done so that the HTML file displays the
image inline -- but I'd kind of like to be able to see the linked
images from the org file itself, much like I can do with a muse file.
(Although if there were a file-wide property to control whether or not
that happens, it would be nice -- I could see maybe wanting to never
inline in some files.)

Thanks.

* Re: Displaying images inline
@ 2008-08-22 23:00 ` James TD Smith
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: James TD Smith @ 2008-08-22 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-08-22 17:52:46(-0400), Lindsay Todd wrote:
> Is there a way to link to a file containing an image, and have the
> image display inline in org-mode?  I know that if the org file is
> exported to HTML, it can be done so that the HTML file displays the
> image inline -- but I'd kind of like to be able to see the linked
> images from the org file itself, much like I can do with a muse file.
> (Although if there were a file-wide property to control whether or not
> that happens, it would be nice -- I could see maybe wanting to never
> inline in some files.)

You can do this using iimage; add the following to your .emacs:

;;iimage
(require 'iimage)
(setq iimage-mode-image-search-path (expand-file-name "~/"))
;;Match org file: links
(add-to-list 'iimage-mode-image-regex-alist
	     (cons (concat "\\[\\[file:\\(~?" iimage-mode-image-filename-regex
			   "\\)\\]")  1))
(define-key org-mode-map [(control c) ?i] 'iimage-mode)

You can then toggle inline display of images in an org buffer using C-c i.

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc>-|

* Re: Displaying images inline
@ 2008-08-23  2:46   ` Sebastian Rose
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-08-23  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [emacs-orgmode]

WOW!!

Thanks for this one!!!

:)

@ 2008-08-23 23:55   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-08-23 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James TD Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Awesome!  Many thanks.

I used to toggle so much between an image (charts/graphs) and Emacs
while writing about it but now.. wow!

Thanks again.
-- Manish

@ 2008-08-24  9:32   ` Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2008-08-24  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James TD Smith wrote:

> On 2008-08-22 17:52:46(-0400), Lindsay Todd wrote:
>> Is there a way to link to a file containing an image, and have the
>> image display inline in org-mode?

> You can do this using iimage; add the following to your .emacs: <snip>

Every time I've tried to follow the instructions for getting inline
images to work, I've had no luck. The iimage mode is shown, but links
just stay as links.

I think that my setup is capable of displaying graphics because I can
see the GNU Emacs logo at Emacs startup.

In principle, should iimage-mode work with Org-mode 6.06b, GNU Emacs
22.1.1 on Windows XP Pro SP3? If so, I'll take a closer look for where I
may be going wrong.

--
Chris Randle

* Re: Displaying images inline
@ 2008-08-24 12:49     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-08-24 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Chris Randle wrote:
  > James TD Smith wrote:
  >
  >> On 2008-08-22 17:52:46(-0400), Lindsay Todd wrote:
  >>> Is there a way to link to a file containing an image, and have the
  >>> image display inline in org-mode?
  >
  >> You can do this using iimage; add the following to your .emacs: <snip>
  >
  > Every time I've tried to follow the instructions for getting inline
  > images to work, I've had no luck. The iimage mode is shown, but links
  > just stay as links.
  >
  > I think that my setup is capable of displaying graphics because I can
  > see the GNU Emacs logo at Emacs startup.
  >
  > In principle, should iimage-mode work with Org-mode 6.06b, GNU Emacs
  > 22.1.1 on Windows XP Pro SP3? If so, I'll take a closer look for where I
  > may be going wrong.

I think you need some libraries in emacs\bin directory.  I have
libpng3.dll, libpng12.dll, libungif4.dll, libXpm.dll, xpm4.dll,
zlib1.dll there.  You should be able to download them from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html You may want to download
for jpeg as well (though it hasn't worked for me yet.)

HTH,
-- Manish

* Re: Displaying images inline
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-24 13:21   ` Lindsay Todd
From: Lindsay Todd @ 2008-08-24 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James TD Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM, James TD Smith <ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc> wrote:
> You can do this using iimage; add the following to your .emacs:

Thank you!  I get the "underline" running right through the image, but
that is tolerable.  This helps me.

* Re: Displaying images inline
@ 2008-08-24 15:54     ` Taru Karttunen
From: Taru Karttunen @ 2008-08-24 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lindsay Todd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 24.08 09:21, Lindsay Todd wrote:
> Thank you!  I get the "underline" running right through the image, but
> that is tolerable.  This helps me.

That comes from the org link. It can be removed by customizing the
link face used by org-mode.

- Taru Karttunen

* Re: Displaying images inline
@ 2008-08-24 17:30       ` James TD Smith
From: James TD Smith @ 2008-08-24 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-08-24 18:54:37(+0300), Taru Karttunen wrote:
> On 24.08 09:21, Lindsay Todd wrote:
> > Thank you!  I get the "underline" running right through the image, but
> > that is tolerable.  This helps me.
>
> That comes from the org link. It can be removed by customizing the
> link face used by org-mode.

This will get rid of the underline whilst using iimage:.

(defun ahkt-toggle-iimage-in-org ()
  (interactive)
  (if (face-underline-p 'org-link)
      (set-face-underline-p 'org-link nil)
      (set-face-underline-p 'org-link t))
  (iimage-mode))

(define-key org-mode-map [(control c) ?i] 'ahkt-toggle-iimage-in-org)

--

@ 2008-08-24 18:07       ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2008-08-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode