* agenda display of scheduled sub-tasks
@ 2008-06-16  0:08 knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-16  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I find it helps if I can block out certain portions of my calendar to complete
certain sub-tasks. In other words, I like to look at my agenda for the day and
know that I should complete, say, sub-task A between 10-12.

I have tried the following:

** TODO Main Task [0/2]
   DEADLINE: <2008-06-17 Tue>
   - [ ] Sub-task A SCHEDULED: <2008-06-16 Mon 08:00-10:00>
   - [ ] Sub-task B SCHEDULED: <2008-06-17 Tue 10:00-12:00>

The result is close to the desired behavior, but the agenda view displays the
title for the MAIN task:

Monday    16 June 2008
  todo:       8:00-10:00 Scheduled:  TODO Main Task [0/2]
Tuesday    17 June 2008
  todo:      10:00-12:00 Scheduled:  TODO Main Task [0/2]

I would prefer to see the title of the specific SUB-TASK in the agenda view.
Like so:

Monday    16 June 2008
  todo:       8:00-10:00 Scheduled:  TODO Sub-task A [0/2]
Tuesday    17 June 2008
  todo:      10:00-12:00 Scheduled:  TODO Sub-task B [0/2]

Is there a way to achieve this?

thanks.

* Re: agenda display of scheduled sub-tasks
@ 2008-06-16  3:04 ` broek
From: broek @ 2008-06-16  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I find it helps if I can block out certain portions of my calendar
> to complete
> certain sub-tasks. In other words, I like to look at my agenda for
> the day and
> know that I should complete, say, sub-task A between 10-12.
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> ** TODO Main Task [0/2]
>    DEADLINE: <2008-06-17 Tue>
>    - [ ] Sub-task A SCHEDULED: <2008-06-16 Mon 08:00-10:00>
>    - [ ] Sub-task B SCHEDULED: <2008-06-17 Tue 10:00-12:00>
>
> The result is close to the desired behavior, but the agenda view displays the
> title for the MAIN task:
>
> Monday    16 June 2008
>   todo:       8:00-10:00 Scheduled:  TODO Main Task [0/2]
> Tuesday    17 June 2008
>   todo:      10:00-12:00 Scheduled:  TODO Main Task [0/2]
>
> I would prefer to see the title of the specific SUB-TASK in the agenda view.
> Like so:
>
> Monday    16 June 2008
>   todo:       8:00-10:00 Scheduled:  TODO Sub-task A [0/2]
> Tuesday    17 June 2008
>   todo:      10:00-12:00 Scheduled:  TODO Sub-task B [0/2]
>
> Is there a way to achieve this?
>
> thanks.

Try making Sub-tasks A and B TODO items. Doesn't that do more or less
what you want? (It won't show the sub-tasks as [0/2], but then that
wouldn't be accurate---neither sub-task has 2 components.)

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: agenda display of scheduled sub-tasks
@ 2008-06-16  7:51   ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-16  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Try making Sub-tasks A and B TODO items. Doesn't that do more or less
> what you want?

oh, that sounds promising -- if you mean "create the sub-tasks as sub-TODO
items." (i do want the sub-tasks grouped as sub-tasks under the tasks).

if this is what you mean, how to accomplish this? my attempts to create TODO
items as sub-tasks under an existing task result in things like: changing state
of main task to "done", etc.

> (It won't show the sub-tasks as [0/2], but then that
> wouldn't be accurate---neither sub-task has 2 components.)

that's ok. i am actually not too concerned about whether the solution provides
an indicator of number/percentage of sub-tasks completed.

thanks.

* Re: Re: agenda display of scheduled sub-tasks
@ 2008-06-16 13:41     ` broek
From: broek @ 2008-06-16 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Try making Sub-tasks A and B TODO items. Doesn't that do more or less
>> what you want?
>
> oh, that sounds promising -- if you mean "create the sub-tasks as sub-TODO
> items." (i do want the sub-tasks grouped as sub-tasks under the tasks).
>
> if this is what you mean, how to accomplish this? my attempts to create TODO
> items as sub-tasks under an existing task result in things like:
> changing state
> of main task to "done", etc.
>
>> (It won't show the sub-tasks as [0/2], but then that
>> wouldn't be accurate---neither sub-task has 2 components.)
>
> that's ok. i am actually not too concerned about whether the
> solution provides
> an indicator of number/percentage of sub-tasks completed.

Hi,

*Any* headline can become a TODO. Just put the point somewhere in the
headline (actually, anywhere from the headline up to the next
headline) and invoke C-c C-t.

What are you doing such that you end up ``changing state of main task''?

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: agenda display of scheduled sub-tasks
@ 2008-06-17  1:19       ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-17  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> *Any* headline can become a TODO. Just put the point somewhere in the
> headline (actually, anywhere from the headline up to the next
> headline) and invoke C-c C-t.
>
> What are you doing such that you end up ``changing state of main task''?

my bad. i believe i was having problems because i still had some remnants of the
sub-task markup in the task. thus, attempts to transform sub-tasks into separate
TODO items were simply updating the state of the main TODO (task).

it all seems to be working now -- and it does give me the agenda view that i
wanted. thanks for the tip!