* Sparse-tree at cursor point
@ 2009-11-10  0:03 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-10  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello list,

The sparse-tree feature is very useful when you want to follow tasks of a
specific project, and want to filter the whole org file to show only the
relevant project tree. However, I did not find a way to apply this function
to a specific tree at the cursor point. Sometimes, I want to act by project,
and I know exactly where it is in the file, and I want to apply the sparse
tree at this item, instead of searching by regexp, todo, etc. Is it
possible?

Thanks!

Marcelo.

* Re: Sparse-tree at cursor point
@ 2009-11-10  0:14 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-11-10  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> The sparse-tree feature is very useful when you want to follow tasks
> of a specific project, and want to filter the whole org file to show
> only the relevant project tree. However, I did not find a way to apply
> this function to a specific tree at the cursor point. Sometimes, I
> want to act by project, and I know exactly where it is in the file,
> and I want to apply the sparse tree at this item, instead of searching
> by regexp, todo, etc. Is it possible?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is you're looking for.  If you
want to limit the sparse tree function to a subtree you can narrow to
subtree first (C-x n s), run the spare tree function, and then widen
again (C-x n w).

You can hide the rest of your document with M-x hide-other.

Does any of that help?

-Bernt

* Re: Sparse-tree at cursor point
@ 2009-11-10  0:26 ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-11-10  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello Marcelo,

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:03:58 -0600
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> The sparse-tree feature is very useful when you want to follow tasks of a
> specific project, and want to filter the whole org file to show only the
> relevant project tree. However, I did not find a way to apply this function
> to a specific tree at the cursor point. Sometimes, I want to act by project,
> and I know exactly where it is in the file, and I want to apply the sparse
> tree at this item, instead of searching by regexp, todo, etc. Is it
> possible?

Yes, that is possible by narrowing to the subtree.
While on the heading for the subtree you want to apply the sparse tree
function on press:
C-x n s     (to narrow to the subtree)
C-c /
C-x n w     (to widen the view to the whole file)

HTH

Andreas

* Re: Sparse-tree at cursor point
@ 2009-11-10  4:36   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa