* emacs for the mac -- best distribution/version
@ 2009-11-12 18:44 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-12 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello fellows orgers,

After almost 5 years in a love-hate relationship with Linux and lately,
Ubuntu (which I acknowledge, is a marvelous OS, and that has been getting
greater with each release), I decided to go to the next level (read: Focus
on web development/graphics design and forget about tweaking my OS for some
time) and buy a Mac. There's no way I will ever use Windows again, except
for selected games or eventual entertainment software that I'm not able to
run on Mac or Linux, so, the logical decision was a Mac.

Philosophies aside, orgmode and emacs have become keys pieces of my life, I
have almost every aspect of my life recorded in text-files managed by
orgmode. This won't change whatever OS I use. So I politely ask, what is the
best emacs distribution for the Mac? I've heard carbon emacs is the logical
choice, but some say Aquamacs is better. What I want is an emacs that
up-to-date with current releases and that is as close as possible to the one
I use on my Ubuntu box right now (emacs-snapshot-gtk 23.1.50.1), so, any
suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: emacs for the mac -- best distribution/version
@ 2009-11-12 21:33 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-11-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello fellows orgers,
>
> After almost 5 years in a love-hate relationship with Linux and lately, Ubuntu (which I acknowledge, is a
> marvelous OS, and that has been getting greater with each release), I decided to go to the next level
> (read: Focus on web development/graphics design and forget about tweaking my OS for some time) and buy a
> Mac. There's no way I will ever use Windows again, except for selected games or eventual entertainment
> software that I'm not able to run on Mac or Linux, so, the logical decision was a Mac.
>
> Philosophies aside, orgmode and emacs have become keys pieces of my life, I have almost every aspect of my
> life recorded in text-files managed by orgmode. This won't change whatever OS I use. So I politely ask,
> what is the best emacs distribution for the Mac? I've heard carbon emacs is the logical choice, but some
> say Aquamacs is better. What I want is an emacs that up-to-date with current releases and that is as close
> as possible to the one I use on my Ubuntu box right now (emacs-snapshot-gtk 23.1.50.1), so, any
> suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated :)

Hi Marcelo,

I've been building emacs from source on my Mac for years; when running
configure pass the "--with-ns" option and then after running "make
install" you will find an Emacs.app Mac application in your nextstep
directory.

I think this to be the best approach as (like you) I was coming to Mac
from linux and wanted an Emacs that was as similar as possible to *true*
linux Emacs.

also you might find the following helpful.
;; on mac apple is meta
(setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
(setq mac-option-modifier 'super)

Best -- Eric

@ 2009-11-12 21:49   ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-11-12 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

I too have been building but lately after the 23 betas I started grabbing
the builds from http://emacsformacosx.com

@ 2009-11-13  7:19     ` Pierre de Buyl
From: Pierre de Buyl @ 2009-11-13  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello,

I am using the carbon version from http://homepage.mac.com/zenitani/
emacs-e.html with much happiness. The keyboard setup is the normal
one, where the cmd (apple) key serves as meta, except a few exception
(I need to do esc-< to go to the beginning of the buffer for
instance). I has a full-screen mode which is very useful.

Pierre