* Org-mode 4.39
@ 2006-06-23 19:05 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-23 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am releasing org-mode 4.39, through Emacs CVS and also on

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/

This is another big release with two exciting (I think...) new features.
This is also the last big release before the summer, I expect to have
one more bugfix release early in July.

Version 4.39

    - Special tag ARCHIVE keeps a subtree closed and away from agenda
      lists and sparse trees.

      Thanks to Daniel Sinder for suggesting and extensively testing
      this feature.

    - LaTeX code in Org-mode files can be converted to images for HTML.

    - CDLaTeX-mode features can be used in Org-mode to help inserting
      LaTeX environment and math.

      Basically plain LaTeX code will be recognized and converted into
      images for HTML export.
      There is also the possibility to preview the processed fragment.
      Please read the new chapter in the manual about embedded LaTeX.

      Thanks to Leon (what is your last name????) for suggesting
      this feature and checking a preliminary version of it.

Enjoy

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Org-mode 4.39
@ 2006-06-23 19:51 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-06-23 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi,
>
> I am releasing org-mode 4.39, through Emacs CVS and also on
>
> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/
>
> This is another big release with two exciting (I think...) new features.
> This is also the last big release before the summer, I expect to have
> one more bugfix release early in July.
>
> Version 4.39
>
>    - Special tag ARCHIVE keeps a subtree closed and away from agenda
>      lists and sparse trees.
>
>      Thanks to Daniel Sinder for suggesting and extensively testing
>      this feature.
>
>    - LaTeX code in Org-mode files can be converted to images for HTML.
>
>    - CDLaTeX-mode features can be used in Org-mode to help inserting
>      LaTeX environment and math.
>
>      Basically plain LaTeX code will be recognized and converted into
>      images for HTML export.
>      There is also the possibility to preview the processed fragment.
>      Please read the new chapter in the manual about embedded LaTeX.
>
>      Thanks to Leon (what is your last name????) for suggesting
>      this feature and checking a preliminary version of it.

My last name is Liu. I'm most grateful for this feature. I use it a
lot for managing my study notes. Thanks for the effort.

--
Leon

* Re: Org-mode 4.39
@ 2006-06-23 22:55 ` mtheo
From: mtheo @ 2006-06-23 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> This is another big release with two exciting (I think...) new features.
> This is also the last big release before the summer, I expect to have
> one more bugfix release early in July.

On seeing this new release appear (and after undertaking a little exercise I'll
describe in a moment) I feel impelled to offer a public word of gratitude to
Carsten Dominik for the creation of org-mode, and by extension to all those who
have contributed in any way to this remarkable software.

After over 25 years as a contented and loyal vi user, I finally took the plunge
into emacs entirely because of org-mode's arrival on the scene. Better late than
never -- I've never been so delighted with a major change of tools.

The little exercise I mentioned only takes a moment, and I heartily recommend it
to anyone who hasn't tried it in a while. I simply opened up my TODO.org in an
"ordinary" text editor. When I realized how seamlessly org-mode takes this
tangled forest of stars and brackets and raw text, and transforms it into a
supple and effortlessly navigable tool for keeping on top of so much -- so many
things that would otherwise be lost or forgotten in the maelstrom of daily life
-- I had to make some public offering of thanks in addition to the private one I
expressed to him a couple of months ago (and a dozen and a half releases ago).
Carsten could quite justifiably have replied "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" and
it would have been a major understatement.

But he's way too modest for that; so once again, many thanks, Carsten!

Mark Theodoropoulos
Berkeley, California

--
<mtheo>
producer / classics without walls

* Org-mode 4.39
@ 2006-06-24  3:05 ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-06-24  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carsten.dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

for html export from latex, I recommend tex4ht -- exporting
images is a bad thing since someone who cannot see wont be able
to read something that should be perfectly readable.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Org-mode 4.39
@ 2006-06-24  9:51   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-06-24  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> for html export from latex, I recommend tex4ht -- exporting
> images is a bad thing since someone who cannot see wont be able
> to read something that should be perfectly readable.

The introduction of latex fragment in org is mainly to handle
mathematical formulas. Does tex4ht export formulas as image or mathml?
Exporting to image might still be the best solution, but the option to
choose to export to image or mathml will be appealing.

--
Leon

* Re: Org-mode 4.39
@ 2006-06-24 17:09     ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-06-24 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sdl.web; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

tex4ht  can export to MathML. It can also export drawings to svg.

@ 2006-06-25 11:30   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-25 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, carsten.dominik

> for html export from latex, I recommend tex4ht -- exporting
> images is a bad thing since someone who cannot see wont be able
> to read something that should be perfectly readable.

To be honest, I did not know about tex4ht and similar programs
before your mail, so that is the main reason why there is no
option to choose it.

Looking at a few examples on the web, I must say that
with all respect for the people who implemented such a
difficult conversion, the results look really terrible
for my taste, even much worse than the equation editor
that comes with Microsoft office.  So I am definitely
going to keep the image option (also because I need
the images anyway for the preview).

However, the tex4ht output is definitely much better than
plain text representations, and yes, you can have them
read to you by a program.

I will make this configurable and allow something like
tex4ht.  Thanks for pointing me to it.

- Carsten

@ 2006-06-29  9:30     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-29  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 25, 2006, at 13:30, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> However, the tex4ht output is definitely much better than
> plain text representations, and yes, you can have them
> read to you by a program.
>
> I will make this configurable and allow something like
> tex4ht.  Thanks for pointing me to it.

I have lowered the priority on this item.  After playing with MathML
and tex4ht, and lot of trouble with getting MathML displayed in
browsers, I don't think this route is viable for the moment.  And since
displaying equations was the main (even the only) driver for embedded
LaTeX in org-mode, I am sticking with images for the time being.

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode 4.39
@ 2006-06-29 13:04       ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-06-29 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carsten.dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

in that case, could you pass the LaTeX through into the HTML as
an HTML comment?

It "future proofs" things, and also creates HTML files that have
better information than black and white dots ---