From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: make error when making org fro git
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:14:23 +0200	[thread overview]

On Apr 12, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> yes, that made it work.
> I did not choose to use emacs 21 - it is debian 4 default version.
>
> Actually I misused my debain system to try to get a "make" for my
> windows xp where I cannot get anything to work natively from git.
> Doing a "make autoloads" I try to use the lisp directory under
> windows.
> Hope that will work.

That should work.

> With the old org "system" I could simply use the lisp files as given
> but with the new structure I have to create the org-install.el file
> which is not working under windows.

Well, this is not fully correct.

First of all, by the "old" system, I guess you mean the distribution
files in the form of zip or tar archives?  These will still contain
the org-install.el file and in this way this is not changed at all
from the old system.  The git repo is the bleeding edge development
version.  For technical reasons I cannot distribute a derived file
like org-install.el with this repository.  And to fully use the git
repo you will indeed need a system that can run a few basic
development tools, like make - not asking too much in my opinion.

We have not had a release now for a while because the splitting
operation is a major undertaking.  Once that is done, I will have more
regular releases again, and then you can use the release files to stay
close to the development version.

Furthermore, I do have a plan B for using the git repo, and that is
simply doing (require 'org) instead of (require org-install).  This is
not the preferred method because it does load the rather large Org
system into Emacs each time you start emacs.  The preferred method is
to use (require 'org-install) for a distribution, and *nothing* when
Org is distributed with Emacs, because there it is fully autoloaded.

However, there are enough people who have never read the installation
instructions close enough to know that in a downloaed version (require
org-install) is the correct method to activate Org.  Also,
unfortunately, the excellent tutorial by David O'Toole, for many
people the entry gate into Org, explains to use (require 'org).
Therefore I am trying to set things up in a way that also this will
work.  If it does not, you can report this as a bug and I will fix it.

- Carsten