* New structure GIT repository
@ 2008-03-28  9:30 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-03-28  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just pushed a major change into the GIT repository.
I would appreciate very much if as many people as possible quickly
switch to the new setup, so that we can find any remaining hick-ups.

Here is what has changed:

   - Org-mode is now a collection of 19 Lisp files.
   - These Lisp files are located in a new directory "lisp".
   - The documentation files have been moved to the new "doc"
     subdirectory.

If you are running Org-mode from the GIT repository, here are the
mandatory changes you need to make after the next pull:

   - Run make to compile all the lisp files.  If you do not want to
     work with compiled files, run at the very least
     "make autoloads" to create the file org-install.el with the
     autoload definitions.

   - Change the setup for load-path in .emacs.  Previously you
     were told to point it to the GIT repository main directory,
     now you need to point it to the "lisp" subdirectory.

   - Use

       (require 'org-install)

     in .emacs, which is the correct way to install the Org package.
     When this file has been loaded, you are in the same state as an
Emacs
     that comes with Org-mode pre-installed.  org.el and all the other
files
     will now be loaded on demand, when they are actually needed.

     Using (require 'org) instead may also work, but I am not entirely
     sure.  I have tried to make it work because, for example, the Org-
mode
     tutorial still lists this as the method to load the package.

ONLY IF YOU ARE USING THE INFO DOCUMENTATION:

The info file "org" will now be locate in the "doc" subdirectory,
so you may need to change your info setup to make sure it finds
the file.  Also the "dir" file which contains the info directory entry
for Org is now in that directory.

- Carsten

* Re: New structure GIT repository
@ 2008-03-28 12:20 ` Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2008-03-28 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Here's my first feedback:

+ tables ok.
+ orgtbl-mode ok.
+ agenda ok
+ links (bbdb, mhe, files) ok

wouldn't it be appropriate to install org into site-lisp/org?

Thanks
Thomas

* Re: Re: New structure GIT repository
@ 2008-03-28 12:32   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-03-28 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Baumann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Excellent, thanks a lot!

Installing into site-lisp/org would definitely make sense, I have not
yet
worked on the installation code, this is next.....

- Carsten

@ 2008-03-29 16:47 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-29 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi,

[...]

> If you are running Org-mode from the GIT repository, here are the
> mandatory changes you need to make after the next pull:

All I have to do is make a git pull and follow the instructions
below, right?

[sivaram@/cygdrive/c/gnu/elisp/org-mode]
$ git pull
Updating e16c143..828352a
Makefile: needs update
Fast forward
 ChangeLog                                       |   51 +-
 create mode 100644 lisp/org.el
 delete mode 100644 org.el

The makefile was edited to make EMACS var point to the Win32 Emacs,
that's all.

@ 2008-03-29 16:52     ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-29 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Excellent, thanks a lot!
>

> Installing into site-lisp/org would definitely make sense, I have
> not yet worked on the installation code, this is next.....

Presumably, one can also use the git downloaded lisp/ directory as-is
(after calling make of course) to activate and use org mode?

I prefer to use the git working copy (if it can be called that) folder
as the location of the package instead of installing it before use.

One minor bug report;

Makefile does not generate the info file upon calling make.  One has
to run

make info

to generate it.  Can this default behaviour be changed to generate the
info file upon calling make?

[...]

 sivaram

* Re: Re: New structure GIT repository
@ 2008-03-29 17:27       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-03-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 29, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Excellent, thanks a lot!
>>

>> Installing into site-lisp/org would definitely make sense, I have
>> not yet worked on the installation code, this is next.....
>>

> Presumably, one can also use the git downloaded lisp/ directory as-is
> (after calling make of course) to activate and use org mode?

Yes, if you are a single user who wants to stay up-to-date with the
bleeding edge development, this is a very good method.

Still, the makefile has an "install" target, and that should
do something useful for people who want to install the package,
maybe for a group of users.

> I prefer to use the git working copy (if it can be called that) folder
> as the location of the package instead of installing it before use.
>

> One minor bug report;
>
> Makefile does not generate the info file upon calling make.  One has
> to run
>
> make info
>
> to generate it.  Can this default behaviour be changed to generate the
> info file upon calling make?

No, because the danger is too high that systems do not have the tools
in place
to correctly create the info file.  And the same Makefile is used in the
distribution (zip and tar) files, which contain the ready info file.

I think from a git user I can ask this extra step.  I will make is so
that

make all

will also make the info file, ok?

@ 2008-03-29 17:38         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-29 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

[...]

> No, because the danger is too high that systems do not have the
> tools in place to correctly create the info file.  And the same
> Makefile is used in the distribution (zip and tar) files, which
> contain the ready info file.
>
> I think from a git user I can ask this extra step.  I will make is so
> that
>
> make all
>
> will also make the info file, ok?

[...]