* export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 10:50 Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-08-21 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

How can I make my toy sample file below export properly to github
flavoured markdown (using ox-gfm)?

(Of course including the file local variables in exported *.md file...)

If I try I get
,----
| hack-local-variables: Malformed local variable line: ""
`----

Thanks,
Andreas

PS: the sample file
#+md: <!-- Some Comment -->

* Test File

With text.

#+md: <!--
#+md: Local Variables:
#+md:  mode: gfm
#+md:  markdown-command: "marked"
#+md: End:
#+md: -->

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 10:52 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-08-21 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I forgot...

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> How can I make my toy sample file below export properly to github
> flavoured markdown (using ox-gfm)?
>
> (Of course including the file local variables in exported *.md file...)

... and without having them apply to the current *.org file.

> If I try I get
> ,----
> | hack-local-variables: Malformed local variable line: ""
> `----
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas
>

> PS: the sample file
>
> #+md: <!-- Some Comment -->
>
> * Test File
>
> With text.
>

> #+md: <!--
> #+md: Local Variables:
> #+md:  mode: gfm
> #+md:  markdown-command: "marked"
> #+md: End:
> #+md: -->

Thanks,
Andreas

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 14:39   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-08-21 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> I forgot...
>
> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> How can I make my toy sample file below export properly to github
>> flavoured markdown (using ox-gfm)?
>>
>> (Of course including the file local variables in exported *.md file...)
>
> ... and without having them apply to the current *.org file.
>

>> If I try I get
>> ,----
>> | hack-local-variables: Malformed local variable line: ""
>> `----
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andreas
>>

>> PS: the sample file
>>
>> #+md: <!-- Some Comment -->
>>
>> * Test File
>>
>> With text.
>>

>> #+md: <!--
>> #+md: Local Variables:
>> #+md:  mode: gfm
>> #+md:  markdown-command: "marked"
>> #+md: End:
>> #+md: -->

Add a noexport section with a control-L as contents at the end.
Emacs only looks at the last "page" of the file for local variables
so the control-L will stop it.

Nick

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 19:20     ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-08-21 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
>> I forgot...
>>
>> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> How can I make my toy sample file below export properly to github
>>> flavoured markdown (using ox-gfm)?
>>>
>>> (Of course including the file local variables in exported *.md file...)
>>
>> ... and without having them apply to the current *.org file.
>>

>>> If I try I get
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andreas
>>>

>>> PS: the sample file
>>>
>>> #+md: <!-- Some Comment -->
>>>
>>> * Test File
>>>
>>> With text.
>>>

>>> #+md: <!--
>>> #+md: Local Variables:
>>> #+md:  mode: gfm
>>> #+md:  markdown-command: "marked"
>>> #+md: End:
>>> #+md: -->
>>

> Add a noexport section with a control-L as contents at the end.
> Emacs only looks at the last "page" of the file for local variables
> so the control-L will stop it.

Thanks!  That is amazing!  That solves my second problem.  So, the
original *.org file is indeed opened in Org mode.  Nice.

Now I still need to know how to export to github flavoured markdown
(gfm) with the file local variables set.  This still fails with
,----
| hack-local-variables: Malformed local variable line: ""
`----

Any help with that?

For reference, here is my test org file again:
#+md: <!-- Some Comment -->

* Test File

With text.

#+md: <!--
#+md: Local Variables:
#+md:  mode: gfm
#+md:  markdown-command: "marked"
#+md: End:
#+md: -->

Andreas

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 20:17       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-08-21 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>>
>>> I forgot...

>>> ... and without having them apply to the current *.org file.

>> Add a noexport section with a control-L as contents at the end.
>> Emacs only looks at the last "page" of the file for local variables
>> so the control-L will stop it.
>>

> Thanks!  That is amazing!  That solves my second problem.  So, the
> original *.org file is indeed opened in Org mode.  Nice.
>

> Now I still need to know how to export to github flavoured markdown
> (gfm) with the file local variables set.  This still fails with
> ,----
> | hack-local-variables: Malformed local variable line: ""
> `----
>
> Any help with that?

That seems to be caused by the empty lines in the Local Variables:
section of the md file:

<h2>Table of Contents</h2>
<ul>
</ul>

<!-- Some Comment -->

# Test File<a id="orgheadline1"></a>

With text.

<!--

Local Variables:

mode: gfm

markdown-command: "marked"

End:

-->

If I get rid of them manually, I think it goes away (although I don't
have gfm installed, so it complains about gfm-mode).

That seems to be an ox-md (or perhaps ox-html) issue however and I'm not
equipped to wade into those waters. Assuming this is correct, maybe you
can add a filter to get rid of the empty lines?

Nick

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 20:30         ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-08-21 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Add a noexport section with a control-L as contents at the end.
>>> Emacs only looks at the last "page" of the file for local variables
>>> so the control-L will stop it.
>>>

>> Thanks!  That is amazing!  That solves my second problem.  So, the
>> original *.org file is indeed opened in Org mode.  Nice.
>>

>> Now I still need to know how to export to github flavoured markdown
>> (gfm) with the file local variables set.  This still fails with
>> ,----
>> | hack-local-variables: Malformed local variable line: ""
>> `----
>>
>> Any help with that?
>>

> That seems to be caused by the empty lines in the Local Variables:
> section of the md file:

> <h2>Table of Contents</h2>
> <ul>
> </ul>
>
> <!-- Some Comment -->
>
> # Test File<a id="orgheadline1"></a>
>
> With text.
>
> <!--
>
> Local Variables:
>
> mode: gfm
>
> markdown-command: "marked"
>
> End:
>
> -->
>
> If I get rid of them manually, I think it goes away (although I don't
> have gfm installed, so it complains about gfm-mode).
>
> That seems to be an ox-md (or perhaps ox-html) issue however and I'm not
> equipped to wade into those waters. Assuming this is correct, maybe you
> can add a filter to get rid of the empty lines?

Thanks for following that up!  That is interesting.  How did you see
that file with the empty lines?  I do not get anything exported --
neither md nor gfm.

- Andreas

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 20:36         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-21 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> That seems to be caused by the empty lines in the Local Variables:
> section of the md file:

> <h2>Table of Contents</h2>
> <ul>
> </ul>
>
> <!-- Some Comment -->
>
> # Test File<a id="orgheadline1"></a>
>
> With text.
>
> <!--
>
> Local Variables:
>
> mode: gfm
>
> markdown-command: "marked"
>
> End:
>
> -->
>
> If I get rid of them manually, I think it goes away (although I don't
> have gfm installed, so it complains about gfm-mode).
>
> That seems to be an ox-md (or perhaps ox-html) issue however and I'm not
> equipped to wade into those waters. Assuming this is correct, maybe you
> can add a filter to get rid of the empty lines?

AFAIR, Markdown requires a blank line between elements (e.g.,
paragraphs). I haven't followed the thread, but can't you use

  #+begin_markdown
  #+end_markdown

instead?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 21:36           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-08-21 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Thanks for following that up!  That is interesting.  How did you see
> that file with the empty lines?  I do not get anything exported --
> neither md nor gfm.

I looked in the " *temp*" buffer (which is normally hidden - note the
initial space), saved it as foo.md and tried to open it: I got the local
variables error.

Nick

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 22:42             ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-08-21 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>

>> Thanks for following that up!  That is interesting.  How did you see
>> that file with the empty lines?  I do not get anything exported --
>> neither md nor gfm.
>>

> I looked in the " *temp*" buffer (which is normally hidden - note the
> initial space), saved it as foo.md and tried to open it: I got the local
> variables error.

Thanks a lot.  Something new to learn every day!  That is really useful
to know.

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: export (to gfm) with file local variables
@ 2015-08-21 22:43           ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-08-21 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

> Hello,
>
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> That seems to be caused by the empty lines in the Local Variables:
>> section of the md file:

>> <h2>Table of Contents</h2>
>> <ul>
>> </ul>
>>
>> <!-- Some Comment -->
>>
>> # Test File<a id="orgheadline1"></a>
>>
>> With text.
>>
>> <!--
>>
>> Local Variables:
>>
>> mode: gfm
>>
>> markdown-command: "marked"
>>
>> End:
>>
>> -->
>>
>> If I get rid of them manually, I think it goes away (although I don't
>> have gfm installed, so it complains about gfm-mode).
>>
>> That seems to be an ox-md (or perhaps ox-html) issue however and I'm not
>> equipped to wade into those waters. Assuming this is correct, maybe you
>> can add a filter to get rid of the empty lines?
>
> AFAIR, Markdown requires a blank line between elements (e.g.,
> paragraphs). I haven't followed the thread, but can't you use
>
>   #+begin_markdown
>   #+end_markdown
>
> instead?

I can.  Thanks a lot.  That works as expected.

Regards,
Andreas