* Rescheduling timestamps on a headline (not the next line)
@ 2015-09-19 20:48 Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2015-09-19 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am using org-mode 8.2.10. I often like to keep SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
timestamps on the headline so they are more compact and show up even
when I have collapsed that tree. Unfortunately, in this case,
(org-schedule) and (org-deadline) add a new timestamp on the second line
instead of replacing the previous schedule.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Visit new file `test.org`
2. Enter `* Task SCHEDULED: <2015-09-19>` in the buffer
3. C-c C-s for (org-schedule)
4. S-right to select 2015-09-20
5. RET

Output:

* Task SCHEDULED: <2015-09-19>
   SCHEDULED: <2015-09-20 Sun>

What I expected:

* Task SCHEDULED: <2015-09-20 Sun>

Is there a way to get my expected output? (org-add-planning-info) seems
to go to the end of the headline:

	    (org-back-to-heading t)
	    (looking-at (concat org-outline-regexp "\\( *\\)[^\r\n]*"))
	    (goto-char (match-end 1))
	    (setq col (current-column))
	    (goto-char (match-end 0))

Before it starts looking for text to replace.

Many thanks,
Michael

* Re: Rescheduling timestamps on a headline (not the next line)
@ 2015-10-21 19:51 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2015-10-21 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Hoffman <gmane3-hoffman@sneakemail.com> writes:

> I am using org-mode 8.2.10. I often like to keep SCHEDULED and
> DEADLINE timestamps on the headline so they are more compact and show
> up even when I have collapsed that tree. Unfortunately, in this case,
> (org-schedule) and (org-deadline) add a new timestamp on the second
> line instead of replacing the previous schedule.

Org-syntax requires planning info (SCHEDULED, DEADLINE) to be on its own
line. Anything can be arbitrarily entered into an org file, but only
certain syntax will work properly.

See http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html

Best,
Matt

* Re: Rescheduling timestamps on a headline (not the next line)
@ 2015-10-22 13:07   ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2015-10-22 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 10/21/2015 3:51 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
> Michael Hoffman <gmane3-hoffman@sneakemail.com> writes:
>> I am using org-mode 8.2.10. I often like to keep SCHEDULED and
>> DEADLINE timestamps on the headline so they are more compact and show
>> up even when I have collapsed that tree. Unfortunately, in this case,
>> (org-schedule) and (org-deadline) add a new timestamp on the second
>> line instead of replacing the previous schedule.
>
> Org-syntax requires planning info (SCHEDULED, DEADLINE) to be on its own
> line. Anything can be arbitrarily entered into an org file, but only
> certain syntax will work properly.

Thanks Matt. Is there a supported way to have planning info show up on
the same line as the headline in the org file itself (rather than in an
agenda)? This can be very handy when organizing a lot of items to have
them all show up on the screen.

Or at least to have only the planning info show up and not other
information stored under the headline?

@ 2015-10-22 13:33     ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2015-10-22 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Hoffman <gmane3-hoffman@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Thanks Matt. Is there a supported way to have planning info show up on
> the same line as the headline in the org file itself (rather than in
> an agenda)? This can be very handy when organizing a lot of items to
> have them all show up on the screen.

One option is column view.

For overview of relevant info, try (info "(org) Properties and Columns").

Can get there with C-h i d m org RET 7.

The section (info "(org) Column view") you'll find information on column view, and (info "(org) Special properties") you'll find a list of properties available.

TLDR version:

C-c C-x C-v to enable column view. S-M-<right> to insert a column. Press TAB after S-M-<right> to get autocompletion list, where you'll see items like TIMESTAMP, SCHEDULED and DEADLINE.

You can still TAB on headlines to cycle visibility and edit section bodies.

HTH :)

--
Brady