* font-locking TODO in agenda view
@ 2006-04-18 18:55 David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2006-04-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi again Org folks!

1. I'm wondering about the font-locking in the Agenda view when TODO
   items are scheduled for a particular day (or even when TODO items are
   included via ...include-all-todo variable.)

   I can't get them to font-lock, which means I have no color-coding
   of which tasks are completed and which still remain to be done. Of
   course I can see the red and green just fine when in the actual
   .org file, but it's important for me to see the colors in the
   agenda view (otherwise the agenda doesn't have that at-a-glance
   feeling.)

   I've got org-fontify-done-headline set to "t" as well. No effect.

   When a TODO entry has "SCHEDULED:" in front of the timestamp, then
   it shows up with face org-scheduled-today. But so do DONE entries,
   so they look the same and once again I'm without the at-a-glance
   feel.

2. I would like to browse through all open todo's and "pluck" items
   for today by hitting > (which should move timestamp to today.) But
   it says this isn't allowed in "todo-type agenda view". Is there
   another way I can do this?

3. When should I use "SCHEDULED:" for a TODO entry?

Sorry for my horrible newbie questions. But I find this a quite
fascinating piece of software.

--
Dave O'Toole
dto@gnu.org

* Re: font-locking TODO in agenda view
@ 2006-04-18 22:22 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-04-18 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Lets start with the basic stuff.

> Hi again Org folks!
>
> 1. I'm wondering about the font-locking in the Agenda view when TODO
>    items are scheduled for a particular day (or even when TODO items
> are
>    included via ...include-all-todo variable.)

TODO items are not fontified currently in the agenda buffer, that is
correct.  Maybe they should?  Mayb I should make the TODO red....

The entire entry does get green if you switch an item from TODO to
DONE, using the "t" key.

>    I can't get them to font-lock, which means I have no color-coding
>    of which tasks are completed and which still remain to be done. Of
>    course I can see the red and green just fine when in the actual
>    .org file, but it's important for me to see the colors in the
>    agenda view (otherwise the agenda doesn't have that at-a-glance
>    feeling.)
>
>    I've got org-fontify-done-headline set to "t" as well. No effect.

This is something different.  It governs if, in an org-mode buffer,
changing TODO to DONE should only change the coloring of the keyword,
or the coloring of the entire line.

>    When a TODO entry has "SCHEDULED:" in front of the timestamp, then
>    it shows up with face org-scheduled-today. But so do DONE entries,
>    so they look the same and once again I'm without the at-a-glance
>    feel.

Yes, I see what you mean.  The green color on the entire entry just
means "this is scheduled for today".  Other entries show up in the
agenda for today for other reasons, for example because there was a
missed deadline some days ago. So the color in the agenda view mostly
shows *why* an entry is here.  but I can see that it would be useful to
keep the TODO keywords highlighted.

> 2. I would like to browse through all open todo's and "pluck" items
>    for today by hitting > (which should move timestamp to today.) But
>    it says this isn't allowed in "todo-type agenda view". Is there
>    another way I can do this?

This would indeed be useful.  It is not possible right now because you
can only change a timestamo from the agenda view if the timestamp was
the reason for it to be pulled into the agenda buffer.  In the TODO
list (C-c a t), items are linked into the agenda buffer because of
their keywords.

But I will put this on the things I will change:  Make it possible to
schedule a TODO item for today by pressing > on it.

> 3. When should I use "SCHEDULED:" for a TODO entry?

SCHEDULED is about planning work.  Use it when you plan to work on this
item on a specific date, some time in the future.  This will make this
entry show up in the agenda for this day, and, if you fail to mark it
DONE, it will keep showing up in the agenda for TODAY until you do.

- Carsten

* Re: font-locking TODO in agenda view
@ 2006-04-18 22:45   ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2006-04-18 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> TODO items are not fontified currently in the agenda buffer, that is
> correct.  Maybe they should?  Mayb I should make the TODO red....

This would be perfect!

> The entire entry does get green if you switch an item from TODO to
> DONE, using the "t" key.

Maybe there's something wrong, but this doesn't happen for me. Just
tested it again. Text properties show there is no face on that line.

When I press "l" to get time grid for today, it does show completed
tasks in green when log mode is on, but only for the "Closed:" lines
in the time grid.

> This is something different.  It governs if, in an org-mode buffer,
> changing TODO to DONE should only change the coloring of the keyword,
> or the coloring of the entire line.

Ok, gotcha.

> But I will put this on the things I will change:  Make it possible to
> schedule a TODO item for today by pressing > on it.

Thank you!

--

@ 2006-04-19  6:50     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-04-19  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 19, 2006, at 0:45, David O'Toole wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> TODO items are not fontified currently in the agenda buffer, that is
>> correct.  Maybe they should?  Maybe I should make the TODO red....
>
> This would be perfect!

This works now in the new test version 4.24b

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip

>> But I will put this on the things I will change:  Make it possible to
>> schedule a TODO item for today by pressing > on it.

I am not so sure anymore how exactly this should work, because the TODO
entry may already have one or more timestamps associated with it.
Hmmm. Needs more thinking, so not implemented yet.

- Carsten

* Re: font-locking TODO in agenda view
@ 2006-04-19 17:05       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-04-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Apr 19, 2006, at 0:45, David O'Toole wrote:
>

>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> TODO items are not fontified currently in the agenda buffer, that is
>>> correct.  Maybe they should?  Maybe I should make the TODO red....
>>
>> This would be perfect!
>
> This works now in the new test version 4.24b
>
> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip

I can't download the update anymore.

I usually do

wget http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip

and it has always worked, but now I am getting:

--13:03:38--  http://www.astro.uva.nl/%7Edominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip
           => `org-testfaces.zip'
Resolving www.astro.uva.nl... 146.50.4.44
Connecting to www.astro.uva.nl[146.50.4.44]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip [following]
--13:03:38--  http://staff.science.uva.nl/%7Edominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip
           => `org-testfaces.zip'
Resolving staff.science.uva.nl... 146.50.4.55
Connecting to staff.science.uva.nl[146.50.4.55]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404
13:03:42 ERROR 404: (no description).

Any ideas, please?

Dave

* Re: Re: font-locking TODO in agenda view
@ 2006-04-19 21:57         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-04-19 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 19, 2006, at 19:05, J. David Boyd wrote:

>> This works now in the new test version 4.24b
>>
>> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip
>>

> I can't download the update anymore.

There is a typo in the address, my apologies.

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/Tools/org/org-testfaces.zip

- Carsten

* Re: Re: font-locking TODO in agenda view
@ 2006-04-19 22:21           ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2006-04-19 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bizarrely enough, it fails with wget, but works when pasted in
Mozilla...

wget http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/Tools/org/org-testfaces.zip
--18:19:57--  http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/Tools/org/org-testfaces.zip
Location: http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/Tools/org/org-testfaces.zip [following]
--18:19:57--  http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/Tools/org/org-testfaces.zip
           => `org-testfaces.zip'
Resolving staff.science.uva.nl... 146.50.4.55
Connecting to staff.science.uva.nl|146.50.4.55|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404
18:19:58 ERROR 404: (no description).

@ 2006-04-19 22:44       ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2006-04-19 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> This works now in the new test version 4.24b
>
> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/public_html/org/org-testfaces.zip

Works great! Thanks so much.

I should note, that it only font-locks TODO/DONE entries that are
SCHEDULED: . Maybe this is intentional, I don't know. I take it that
SCHEDULED is the appropriate way to schedule a task for a given day,

i.e. this:

** TODO Shave
SCHEDULED: <2006-04-19 Wed>

Instead of this:

** TODO Make coffee
<2006-04-19 Tue>

which just puts a timestamp in, but no SCHEDULED.

--
Dave O'Toole
dto@gnu.org