* ox-odt roundtrip editing?
@ 2015-06-26 11:45 joakim
From: joakim @ 2015-06-26 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm writing a manuscript for a publisher. The process looks like:

- I write a chapter in org mode, export it to odt

- I apply the styles the publisher wants to use with a libreoffice
  macro. This isn't particularily efficient, but I failed at modifying
  ox-odt to use custom templates.

- I get back comments on the chapter from the publisher, that use the
  libreoffice annotation feature. Here I basically can't use org-mode
  anymore.

Has someone attempted doing roundtrip editing ith libreoffice and org?
That is, convert the odt file back to org, including the annotations,
and edit fro there?

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: ox-odt roundtrip editing?
@ 2015-06-27 11:54 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-27 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

joakim@verona.se writes:

> I'm writing a manuscript for a publisher. The process looks like:
>
> - I write a chapter in org mode, export it to odt
>
> - I apply the styles the publisher wants to use with a libreoffice
>   macro. This isn't particularily efficient, but I failed at modifying
>   ox-odt to use custom templates.
>
> - I get back comments on the chapter from the publisher, that use the
>   libreoffice annotation feature. Here I basically can't use org-mode
>   anymore.
>
> Has someone attempted doing roundtrip editing ith libreoffice and org?
> That is, convert the odt file back to org, including the annotations,
> and edit fro there?

There is no such functionality in Org.

Why not send ox-ascii output whilst editing.  Tell them to just edit and
use ediff when you get it back.  It would still require manual work to
adapt the notes.  But I'd guess that's always the case.

Presumably, you could also use ox-org to get a cleaner version of your
file that you could send.

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
Vote for proprietary math!

* Re: ox-odt roundtrip editing?
@ 2015-06-27 13:08 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-06-27 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Joakim,

On 2015-06-26 at 07:45, joakim@verona.se wrote:
> I'm writing a manuscript for a publisher. The process looks like:
>
> - I write a chapter in org mode, export it to odt
>
> - I apply the styles the publisher wants to use with a libreoffice
>   macro. This isn't particularily efficient, but I failed at modifying
>   ox-odt to use custom templates.
>
> - I get back comments on the chapter from the publisher, that use the
>   libreoffice annotation feature. Here I basically can't use org-mode
>   anymore.
>
> Has someone attempted doing roundtrip editing ith libreoffice and org?
> That is, convert the odt file back to org, including the annotations,
> and edit fro there?

Does this workflow describe what you want to do (but change DOCX to ODT)?

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-06/msg00246.html

  -k.

* Re: ox-odt roundtrip editing?
@ 2015-06-27 13:34   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2015-06-27 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Joakim,
>
> On 2015-06-26 at 07:45, joakim@verona.se wrote:
>> I'm writing a manuscript for a publisher. The process looks like:
>>
>> - I write a chapter in org mode, export it to odt
>>
>> - I apply the styles the publisher wants to use with a libreoffice
>>   macro. This isn't particularily efficient, but I failed at modifying
>>   ox-odt to use custom templates.
>>
>> - I get back comments on the chapter from the publisher, that use the
>>   libreoffice annotation feature. Here I basically can't use org-mode
>>   anymore.
>>
>> Has someone attempted doing roundtrip editing ith libreoffice and org?
>> That is, convert the odt file back to org, including the annotations,
>> and edit fro there?
>
> Does this workflow describe what you want to do (but change DOCX to ODT)?
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-06/msg00246.html

It seems so. I'm not quite sure, I will have a close look. Thanks!

--
Joakim Verona