* eval code snippet before tangling config file
@ 2016-05-11 12:34 Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2016-05-11 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate a line of shell code and put its output into a
snippet that will be tangled to a file. My best attempt so far:

  #+NAME: hostname
  #+BEGIN_SRC sh
    hostname -s
  #+END_SRC

  #+BEGIN_SRC conf :tangle /usr/local/etc/leafnode/config :noweb tangle
    expire = 20
    server = news.gmane.org
    initialfetch = 100
    hostname = <<hostname>>.superloopy.io
  #+END_SRC

However the result of that tangle includes the shell snippet in
verbatim:

  #+RESULTS:
  : expire = 20
  : server = news.gmane.org
  : initialfetch = 100
  : hostname = hostname -s.superloopy.io

I suspect this is because it will be executed in the context of "conf"
mode, which does not really have an execution mode. Syntax highlighting
etc works fine, however. I could change to make a shell script to write
the config, but it's not as nice really.

PS: this is an improvement to my existing setup of Leafnode on OS X, if
anybody's interested:
http://github.com/stig/dot-files/tree/master/Leafnode.org

Stig

* Re: eval code snippet before tangling config file
@ 2016-05-11 15:24 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-05-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stig Brautaset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 11 May 2016, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to evaluate a line of shell code and put its output into a
> snippet that will be tangled to a file. My best attempt so far:
>
>  #+NAME: hostname
>  #+BEGIN_SRC sh
>    hostname -s
>  #+END_SRC
>
>  #+BEGIN_SRC conf :tangle /usr/local/etc/leafnode/config :noweb tangle
>    expire = 20
>    server = news.gmane.org
>    initialfetch = 100
>    hostname = <<hostname>>.superloopy.io
>  #+END_SRC

Try `<<hostname()>>'.

See (info "(org) Noweb reference syntax")

...     <<code-block-name(optional arguments)>> ...

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: eval code snippet before tangling config file
@ 2016-05-11 16:58   ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2016-05-11 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:
> On Wed, 11 May 2016, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to evaluate a line of shell code and put its output into a
>> snippet that will be tangled to a file. My best attempt so far:

[...]

> Try `<<hostname()>>'.
>
> See (info "(org) Noweb reference syntax")
>
> ...     <<code-block-name(optional arguments)>> ...
>
> HTH,

It does indeed! Thank you. I clearly missed that section of the manual.

Stig