* funny emacs-lisp macro behavior in org-babel related to lexical-binding
@ 2016-04-14 18:36 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-14 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I was playing around with elisp macros in an org-file and came across a
behavior I didn't expect that is due to lexical binding.

Here is the code:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results output :prologue
;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

;; you need this to make the binding.
(setq lexical-binding t)

;; Graham's alambda
(defmacro alambda (parms &rest body)
  `(cl-labels ((self ,parms ,@body))
     #'self))

(setq
 (alambda (n)
          (if (> n 0)
              (cons
               (self (- n 1))))))

(funcall N 3)
#+END_SRC

The last line should return (3 2 1), and it does if I use C-x C-e on
each form. If I try to run the block though, I get an error:

cons: Symbol’s value as variable is void: --cl-self--

I can see where that comes from. The macro expands to:
(lambda (n) (if (> n 0) (cons n (funcall --cl-self-- (- n 1)))))

This doesn't work because babel simply evals the body of the code. It
turns out you can use eval with lexical scoping:

(eval FORM &optional LEXICAL)

Evaluate FORM and return its value.
If LEXICAL is t, evaluate using lexical scoping.

So, I would like to propose adding the third argument to the eval
statement that reads

(assoc :lexical params)

to turn on lexical eval if you want it.

What do you think?

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: funny emacs-lisp macro behavior in org-babel related to lexical-binding
@ 2016-04-15 20:49 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-15 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> So, I would like to propose adding the third argument to the eval
> statement that reads
>
> (assoc :lexical params)
>
> to turn on lexical eval if you want it.
>
> What do you think?

I assume you're talking about ob-emacs-lisp.el. This sounds like a good
idea. However, I suggest to make lexical binding the default value, to
be on par with the rest of Emacs.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: funny emacs-lisp macro behavior in org-babel related to lexical-binding
@ 2016-04-16 13:41   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-16 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, emacs-orgmode

That sounds fine to me. Would you then use

:lexical nil

in a header to turn it off? or a new custom variable?

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2016-04-16 16:52     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-16 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> That sounds fine to me. Would you then use
>
> :lexical nil

Sure. However, Babel uses "yes" and "no" as booleans so we also need to
support these. nil and t are fine too, obviously.

You would need to define a new defconst
`org-babel-header-args:emacs-lisp' to specify allowed values
for :lexical.

Also, this should probably be documented somewehere.

* Re: funny emacs-lisp macro behavior in org-babel related to lexical-binding
@ 2016-04-17  1:08       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-17  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I submitted a patch for this. I still am not sure I did it quite right.
Is there a page anywhere that outlines what to do?

e.g.

create a branch, make changes, how to make patches, and mail them etc...
or some other preferred method?

thanks,

--

@ 2016-04-17  8:18         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-04-17  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Aloha John,

John Kitchin writes:

> I submitted a patch for this. I still am not sure I did it quite right.
> Is there a page anywhere that outlines what to do?
>
> e.g.
>
> create a branch, make changes, how to make patches, and mail them etc...
> or some other preferred method?

Yes, create a branch, make your changes, add and commit them, then run
the following command to wrap up the latest commit on your new branch of
the repository into a file which can be attached to email messages

           git format-patch -o ~/temp/ HEAD~1

after the command finished you will notice a new file in ~/temp
with a name like 0001-commit-message-stuff.patch

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: funny emacs-lisp macro behavior in org-babel related to lexical-binding
@ 2016-04-17 16:11         ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-04-17 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016, John Kitchin wrote:

> I submitted a patch for this. I still am not sure I did it quite right.
> Is there a page anywhere that outlines what to do?
>
> e.g.
>
> create a branch, make changes, how to make patches, and mail them etc...
> or some other preferred method?

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#patches

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: funny emacs-lisp macro behavior in org-babel related to lexical-binding
@ 2016-04-17 23:03           ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-17 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

thanks, this is the page I was looking for.