* refile headline with inherited tags
@ 2009-04-04 22:00 Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-04 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Today I refiled a headline that was part of a tree using inherited tags:

* topic1                               :tag1:
** headline1
** headline2
* topic2

If I refile headline1 to another file... the tag "tag1" is not on it
anymore...

I am not sure if the best way to handle such cases is to add the tag by hand
and then refile it
... or if it could also be an option to apply all inherited tags to it while
refiling.

* Re: refile headline with inherited tags
@ 2009-04-05  6:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-05  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Apr 5, 2009, at 12:00 AM, Eraldo Helal wrote:

> Today I refiled a headline that was part of a tree using inherited
> tags:
>
> * topic1                               :tag1:
> ** headline1
> ** headline2
> * topic2
>
> If I refile headline1 to another file... the tag "tag1" is not on it
> anymore...
>
> I am not sure if the best way to handle such cases is to add the tag
> by hand and then refile it
> ... or if it could also be an option to apply all inherited tags to
> it while refiling.

I cannot reproduce this.  What org version are you using?

- Carsten

* Re: refile headline with inherited tags
@ 2009-04-05 14:31   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 08:44, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2009, at 12:00 AM, Eraldo Helal wrote:
>
>  Today I refiled a headline that was part of a tree using inherited tags:
>>
>> * topic1                               :tag1:
>> ** headline1
>> ** headline2
>> * topic2
>>
>> If I refile headline1 to another file... the tag "tag1" is not on it
>> anymore...
>>
>> I am not sure if the best way to handle such cases is to add the tag by
>> hand and then refile it
>> ... or if it could also be an option to apply all inherited tags to it
>> while refiling.
>>

> I cannot reproduce this.  What org version are you using?

org-mode version 6.25b

@ 2009-04-05 14:36     ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-05 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode

I am not sure if you understood what I meant...

to calrify:
when refiling headline1 to another file (C-c C-w) this headline does not
have the tag :tag1: in the new file.
did your test refile it with the inherited tag?

@ 2009-04-05 15:44       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-05 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

I would definitely _not_ want this behaviour by default.  I'm okay with
it being an option if it's useful.  My tasks inherit tags from
#+FILETAGS: and I don't want those moving between files.

-Bernt

@ 2009-04-05 16:18       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Apr 5, 2009, at 4:36 PM, Eraldo Helal wrote:

> I am not sure if you understood what I meant...
>
> to calrify:
> when refiling headline1 to another file (C-c C-w) this headline does
> not have the tag :tag1: in the new file.
> did your test refile it with the inherited tag?

I see now what you mean, and no, I do not think that an entry
should carry inherited tags with it when being refiled.
The main use of inheritance is that an entry get tagged
by the environment it is in.  When you remove it
from that environment, this should also remove the
environment tagging.

Or the other way round, refiling is often a way to put an entry
*into* an environment where it can inherit other tags.

- Carsten

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 16:31, Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 08:44, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> On Apr 5, 2009, at 12:00 AM, Eraldo Helal wrote:
>
> Today I refiled a headline that was part of a tree using inherited
> tags:
>
> * topic1                               :tag1:
> ** headline1
> ** headline2
> * topic2
>
> If I refile headline1 to another file... the tag "tag1" is not on it
> anymore...
>
> I am not sure if the best way to handle such cases is to add the tag
> by hand and then refile it
> ... or if it could also be an option to apply all inherited tags to
> it while refiling.
>
> I cannot reproduce this.  What org version are you using?
> org-mode version 6.25b
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Re: refile headline with inherited tags
@ 2009-04-05 16:19         ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-05 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Eraldo Helal, Org-Mode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> I would definitely _not_ want this behaviour by default.  I'm okay with
> it being an option if it's useful.  My tasks inherit tags from
> #+FILETAGS: and I don't want those moving between files.

Agreed. I would not want this to be default behavior (not that anyone is
suggesting that it will be) because I rely heavily on filetags.

It seems to me that the whole reason for inherited tags is to allow
context to determine the tags. Therefore, when I move an item to a
different context, it's usually because I *want* it to have a different
set of inherited tags.

Best,
Matt