* org-ref file path to pdf
@ 2016-12-06 12:36 Georg W. Otto
From: Georg W. Otto @ 2016-12-06 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

This is probably something that has come up before, but so far I haven't
found a solution:

My problem concerns automatic file path expansion in my org-ref
setting. According to the instructions in

https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref
and
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/4gudyw/help_me_with_my_orgmode_workflow_for_notetaking/

I set up the paths to my bibliography, my notes and my pdfs like this:

(setq org-ref-bibliography-notes "~/Dropbox/bibliography/notes.org"
      org-ref-default-bibliography '("~/Dropbox/bibliography/references.bib")
      org-ref-pdf-directory "~/Dropbox/bibliography/bibtex-pdfs/")

Navigation to a bibtex entry and running org-ref-open-bibtex-notes
creates an orgmode heading in notes.org that contains a link to the pdf
file of the publication. Unfortunately, that link uses an expanded file
path, i.e:
/home/<username>/Dropbox/bibliography/bibtex-pdfs/BibtexKey.pdf

so it is useless when generated by a different user. Would it be
possible to create a link that does not expand the file path, like this

~/Dropbox/bibliography/bibtex-pdfs/BibtexKey.pdf

I appreciate your help.

Georg