* two custom agenda view questions
@ 2009-09-23 23:14 Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2009-09-23 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi --

Still too much of a newbie to figure this out on my own. I get lost in
the Lisp still.

(1) I want to define a custom agenda view that displays only those
tasks that have today as a deadline or are past-due. Since many of my
tasks also have scheduled timestamps, sometimes these end up being the
same day. It looks to me as if they will be left out if I skip
scheduled items, even if they also have a current deadline. How can I
finesse this?

(2) Eventually, I want to create a DONE log of copies of items as they
get finished, with contextual data retained. But for right now, all I
want is to be able to switch to an agenda view of tasks that were
complete today. I've tried a few ideas that seemed like low-hanging
fruit here, but no luck.

Anyone willing to help out with these? Thank you so much!

-- Michael

Michael C. Gilbert -- mcg@gilbert.org

    The Gilbert Center -- http://gilbert.org
    Nonprofit Online News -- http://nonprofitnews.org

        "There can be no joy of life without joy of work." -- Aquinas

* Re: two custom agenda view questions
@ 2009-09-24  3:05 ` Matt Lundin
       [not found]   ` <45063E9A-B5D0-44BC-A9F3-799B5492AECB@gilbert.org>
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-09-24  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:

> Still too much of a newbie to figure this out on my own. I get lost in
> the Lisp still.
>
> (1) I want to define a custom agenda view that displays only those
> tasks that have today as a deadline or are past-due. Since many of my
> tasks also have scheduled timestamps, sometimes these end up being the
> same day. It looks to me as if they will be left out if I skip
> scheduled items, even if they also have a current deadline. How can I
> finesse this?

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("d" "Due today" agenda ""
	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 1)
	  (org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown t)
	  (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notdeadline))))))

> (2) Eventually, I want to create a DONE log of copies of items as they
> get finished, with contextual data retained. But for right now, all I
> want is to be able to switch to an agenda view of tasks that were
> complete today. I've tried a few ideas that seemed like low-hanging
> fruit here, but no luck.

Type "l" in the agenda for log mode.

- Matt

@ 2009-09-24 15:59     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-09-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gilbert; +Cc: Matt Lundin, Org Mode List

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:

> On Sep 23,2009, at 8:05 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
>
>> Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:
>>>
>>> (1) I want to define a custom agenda view that displays only those
>>> tasks that have today as a deadline or are past-due. Since many of my
>>> tasks also have scheduled timestamps, sometimes these end up being
>>> the
>>> same day. It looks to me as if they will be left out if I skip
>>> scheduled items, even if they also have a current deadline. How can I
>>> finesse this?

>> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>>      '(("d" "Due today" agenda ""
>> 	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 1)
>> 	  (org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown t)
>> 	  (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if
>> notdeadline))))))
>
> Thank you! This was the element I wasn't able to discover: org-agenda-
> skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown. Alas, when I test this, it still
> displays scheduled entries that are not deadlines. I don't think I'm
> overriding it elsewhere – I don't have a lot of agenda settings. Does
> this work for you?

There was one mistake in the command above. The local variable
org-deadline-warning-days should be set to 0 (otherwise you'll get items
due tomorrow).

 (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("d" "Due today" agenda ""
 	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 0)
 	  (org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown t)
 	  (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notdeadline))))))

Here's a sample file:

* TODO Scheduled today
  SCHEDULED: <2009-09-24 Thu>
* TODO Scheduled yesterday
  SCHEDULED: <2009-09-23 Wed>
* TODO Deadline and scheduled today
  SCHEDULED: <2009-09-24 Thu> DEADLINE: <2009-09-24 Thu>
* TODO Deadline past due
  DEADLINE: <2009-09-22 Tue>
* TODO Deadline tomorrow
  DEADLINE: <2009-09-25 Fri>

When I call the custom agenda command (with org-deadline-warning-days
set to 0) on this file, I get the following:

Day-agenda (W39):
Thursday   24 September 2009
  test:       In  -2 d.:  TODO Deadline past due
  test:       Deadline:   TODO Deadline and scheduled today

Perhaps you could test this on your setup to see if you get the same
results.

Best,
Matt