* Helm update brings "funcall: Symbol's value as variable is void: helm-walk-ignore-directories"
@ 2015-09-02 12:25 Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2015-09-02 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all.

After updating a 7 packages yesterday, including helm, I found my
org-mode (Emacs 24.3.1 in Linux) semi-functional with this message:

"funcall: Symbol's value as variable is void: helm-walk-ignore-directories"

This is defined in https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/blob/master/helm-lib.el
I searched, but couldn't found something that helped me and my
knowledge is not enough to troubleshoot this issue (I'm a newbie on
the Emacs world and no programmer at all).

I would appreciate very much if someone can give me a few pointers to
start with.

Thanks a lot in advance... :)

* Re: Helm update brings "funcall: Symbol's value as variable is void: helm-walk-ignore-directories"
@ 2015-09-02 14:33 ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2015-09-02 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all.

> After updating a 7 packages yesterday, including helm, I found my
> org-mode (Emacs 24.3.1 in Linux) semi-functional with this message:
> "funcall: Symbol's value as variable is void: helm-walk-ignore-directories"

Just found it. The new installed version was not included in .emacs in the
(add-to-list 'load-path "[snip]")
part.

Is this the expected behavior when we update through the package manager?

Thanks... :)

* Re: Helm update brings "funcall: Symbol's value as variable is void: helm-walk-ignore-directories"
@ 2015-09-07 22:31   ` Malcolm Purvis
From: Malcolm Purvis @ 2015-09-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eduardo> Just found it. The new installed version was not included in
Eduardo> .emacs in the (add-to-list 'load-path "[snip]") part.

Eduardo> Is this the expected behavior when we update through the
Eduardo> package manager?

The package manager does not unload the old package and load new package
as part of the upgrade.  As a consequence, I always restart Emacs after
upgrading packages to avoid problems like this.

Malcolm

--
	       Malcolm Purvis <malcolm@purvis.id.au>