* Org Newbie Dream/Request for Feature - Display linked email in org file
@ 2007-02-01 17:45 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-02-01 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am an Org newbie with Org experience of about 2 hours. But I am so
excited. Through reading Dave's tutorial and a little manual, I decided
to use for many things.

One of them is business management.

Say some customer asks for quotation by email, and henthforth there
will be many email communications. Maybe many prices about many products
are quoted. And then no communication for fairly long time. Suddenly
someday this customer goes to place some order. So I have to search for
emails for the prices quoted.

I think it's possible to use Org for this quotation tracking.

Sure it's not agenda or todo but notes. Something like:

** Some Customer
Some day -- some quoation activity
[link to email]

What I want is some function to display linked emails internally in org
file. Some org-show-linked-email-internally. FYI, I use Gnus for email,
with nnimap mainly and nnml groups for archiving of email specifically
from some company (in biz) or someone.

From Org manual I know Org can deal with external links fine, including
Gnus article link.

My questions:
1. Are these links buttonized? Or can they be?
Thus when I click it, I can use some progs to open them.

2. For email links, is it possible to allow for display internally
and/or externally, just like what Gnus does for some kinds of
attachments.

3. Can email link record which group it's from and its message id?

If so, I wish there is a function to retrieve by message id and catch
all emails in the same thread (from nnml and nnimap groups), and display
them internally in org file.

I know I'm too greedy and shameless to ask so many questions and request
absolute-non-trivial-job features. But I do wish someday these can be
done.

Thanks and best regards,

CHENG Gao

* Re: Org Newbie Dream/Request for Feature - Display linked email in org file
@ 2007-02-09  1:49 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-02-09  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: CHENG Gao

Hi,

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> From Org manual I know Org can deal with external links fine, including
> Gnus article link.
>
> My questions:
> 1. Are these links buttonized? Or can they be?
> Thus when I click it, I can use some progs to open them.

The links are buttonized.

Gnus links are handled by org-follow-gnus-link.  I can see no reason
why you would use something else than Gnus to open gnus links..

> 2. For email links, is it possible to allow for display internally
> and/or externally, just like what Gnus does for some kinds of
> attachments.

You cannot expand the body of an email within an org-mode buffer, but
you can display it within Emacs by following the link.  I don't know
if importing the body of the email makes really sense, since we want
to keep pieces of informations in their usual places, don't we ?

> 3. Can email link record which group it's from and its message id?

Here is what an email link looks like :

  [[gnus:nnml:mail.biblio#1351][balado diffusion]]

The first part entails the group and message id.

> If so, I wish there is a function to retrieve by message id and
> catch all emails in the same thread (from nnml and nnimap groups),
> and display them internally in org file.

I'm afraid there is no easy way to do this.  The first step would be
to find an elegant way to export a whole thread from Gnus.. which is
not that easy!

> I know I'm too greedy and shameless to ask so many questions and
> request absolute-non-trivial-job features. But I do wish someday
> these can be done.

Internally displayed emails is something i've been thinking about when
i was trying to make my org file behave like a blogging plateform.
Emails would then stand for blogs comments.  But i didn't find time to
think about it twice.

Hope you'll find your way through Org, it's really worth the try!

--
Bastien

* Re: Org Newbie Dream/Request for Feature - Display linked email in org file
@ 2007-02-09  3:12   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-02-09  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

*On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:49:05 +0100
* Bastien <bzg@altern.org> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> The links are buttonized.
>
> Gnus links are handled by org-follow-gnus-link.  I can see no reason
> why you would use something else than Gnus to open gnus links..

I posted this for reason of excitement and only after I read a little
manual. I realized some features are implemented already after I read more.

> You cannot expand the body of an email within an org-mode buffer, but
> you can display it within Emacs by following the link.  I don't know
> if importing the body of the email makes really sense, since we want
> to keep pieces of informations in their usual places, don't we ?
I still think it's useful. I dont mean "importing the body of email". I
just wanna have a way to display it temporarily below the link and not
save to Org file.

> Here is what an email link looks like :
>
>   [[gnus:nnml:mail.biblio#1351][balado diffusion]]
>
> The first part entails the group and message id.
You  know I realized this after. ;-p

> I'm afraid there is no easy way to do this.  The first step would be
> to find an elegant way to export a whole thread from Gnus.. which is
> not that easy!
I understand. Just I think it's possible since Gnus can do this in
summary buffer. There must be a way to do this using Gnus  functions directly.

> Internally displayed emails is something i've been thinking about when
> i was trying to make my org file behave like a blogging plateform.
> Emails would then stand for blogs comments.  But i didn't find time to
> think about it twice.

> Hope you'll find your way through Org, it's really worth the try!
I am not trying. I am using it for work. Though my org file seems really
messy owing to my limited knowledge. But it doesn't matter. My
philosophy is "Use it if I like, use it better and if possible make it
better.".
Org is really fun and powerful.
IIRC Org can not export to texinfo by itself. I may learn to use Muse
with Org.

> --
> Bastien

Thank you, and kudos to Org. I really like it. It's starting to change
my life.

* Re: Org Newbie Dream/Request for Feature - Display linked email in org file
@ 2007-02-09  3:34     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-02-09  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-02-09, CHENG Gao said:

>> You cannot expand the body of an email within an org-mode buffer,
>> but you can display it within Emacs by following the link.  I don't
>> know if importing the body of the email makes really sense, since
>> we want to keep pieces of informations in their usual places, don't
>> we ?
> I still think it's useful. I dont mean "importing the body of
> email".

Read on to the remember part of the manual. That will show you some
way of including the email partly.

> I just wanna have a way to display it temporarily below the link and
> not save to Org file.

Just open the link but don't close the pop up frame for sequential
opening links.