* Export of superscripts in LaTeX (e.g. ^1)
@ 2013-03-29 22:27 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-03-29 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sometimes I'll insert a note in LaTeX to /sort of/ treat it like a
footnote, but in a table. Then I'll just put the notes in an itemized
list under the table like this:

#+begin_src org

| something^{1} |

*Notes*
- ^1 this is a note about something

#+end_src

I'm copying/pasting from a previous Org document, so I know this used
to work. Now, instead of a superscripted 1, it exports as 1 with a
"hat" (accented one with tiny caret above the 1).

I noticed the same for the ~ symbol. That used to just be an ugly
looking tilde. Now it's an accent.

There's surely variables to customize, but I wanted to report in case
we want this as the Org-mode default.

Thanks,
John

* Re: Export of superscripts in LaTeX (e.g. ^1)
@ 2013-03-29 22:38 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-03-29 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometimes I'll insert a note in LaTeX to /sort of/ treat it like a
> footnote, but in a table. Then I'll just put the notes in an itemized
> list under the table like this:

This is a bit unrelated, but LaTeX back-end has support for footnotes
within tables.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Export of superscripts in LaTeX (e.g. ^1)
@ 2013-03-30  0:28   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-03-30  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sometimes I'll insert a note in LaTeX to /sort of/ treat it like a
>> footnote, but in a table. Then I'll just put the notes in an itemized
>> list under the table like this:
>
> This is a bit unrelated, but LaTeX back-end has support for footnotes
> within tables.

Ha! That's great. I guess I'm too used to the old exporter. In this
case, I'd just like some way to quickly check between a table item and
the list below it, so I'm not sure I'm looking for footnotes, exactly.
Honestly, probably just using test^{1} in the table and then a list
of:

1) explanation

Would work. Just being picky since ^{1}, after all, /was/ the text
used to make the reader aware of a note... Something is definitely
different in function as even ~ results in accented text, but I'm not
sure what.

Thanks,
John

@ 2013-03-30  7:27 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-03-30  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy writes:
> - ^1 this is a note about something
>
> #+end_src
>
> I'm copying/pasting from a previous Org document, so I know this used
> to work. Now, instead of a superscripted 1, it exports as 1 with a
> "hat" (accented one with tiny caret above the 1).

Indeed, and not just in latex (tested html).

To take a slightly less strange example:

  Revelle and Suess examined ^{14}C ratios in the ocean and atmosphere
  to find how quickly carbon was exchanged between them.

I seem to remember this used to work, too.

Yours,
Christian