* Does org export have something like Lisp quasiquote and unquote?
@ 2014-02-19 15:07 Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-02-19 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all,

I'd like to perform Elisp operations on org-mode buffer while exporting.

Something like this (the comma unquotes like in Lisp quasiquote):

,(setq foo "(defun square (x)\n  (* x x))")

#+begin_src lisp
,foo
#+end_src

#+BEGIN_HTML
,(with-current-buffer
       (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*temp*")
         (lisp-mode)
         (insert (upcase foo))
         (htmlize-buffer))
     (kill-buffer "*temp*")
     (buffer-string))
#+END_HTML

And I want it to be equivalent to:

#+begin_src lisp
(defun square (x)
  (* x x))
#+end_src

#+BEGIN_HTML
<!-- html equivalent to above code upcased and fontified -->
#+END_HTML

Is something like this possible?

regards,
Oleh

* Re: Does org export have something like Lisp quasiquote and unquote?
@ 2014-02-19 17:27 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-02-19 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: org mode

Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to perform Elisp operations on org-mode buffer while exporting.
>
> Something like this (the comma unquotes like in Lisp quasiquote):
>
> ,(setq foo "(defun square (x)\n  (* x x))")
>
> #+begin_src lisp
> ,foo
> #+end_src
> #+BEGIN_HTML
> ,(with-current-buffer
>        (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*temp*")
>          (lisp-mode)
>          (insert (upcase foo))
>          (htmlize-buffer))
>      (kill-buffer "*temp*")
>      (buffer-string))
> #+END_HTML
>
> And I want it to be equivalent to:
>
> #+begin_src lisp
> (defun square (x)
>   (* x x))
> #+end_src
> #+BEGIN_HTML
> <!-- html equivalent to above code upcased and fontified -->
> #+END_HTML
>
> Is something like this possible?
>
> regards,
> Oleh

The following will do what you want.

set the value
#+begin_src lisp :results silent
(defvar foo '(defun square (x)  (* x x)))
#+end_src

#+begin_src lisp :results output pp code
foo
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
#+BEGIN_SRC lisp

(DEFUN SQUARE (X) (* X X))
#+END_SRC

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Does org export have something like Lisp quasiquote and unquote?
@ 2014-02-19 18:45   ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-02-19 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: org mode

> The following will do what you want.
>
> set the value
> #+begin_src lisp :results silent
> (defvar foo '(defun square (x)  (* x x)))
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src lisp :results output pp code
> foo
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> #+BEGIN_SRC lisp
>
> (DEFUN SQUARE (X) (* X X))
> #+END_SRC
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Eric Schulte
> https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte
> PGP: 0x614CA05D

Thanks, Eric,

but this isn't what I had in mind.
I want the org-mode file to remain unchanged while behaving as if it
was changed,
something like C macros: C compiler is not aware of macros and I'm not aware
of the expanded code, but we get along nicely anyway.

First use-case is that I'm writing documentation for a library of
functions, so some of
them are mentioned a few times. I'd like to refer to them not by name, which
can be subjected to change but by a file local variable.
For instance, I've got a link in a table referring to a heading. They
both have the same
name and I'd like to keep them consistent, but I don't want to do it manually.

Second use-case is that I'm generating a HTML block with
`htmlize-buffer' that I want to
include in the document. I'd prefer not to have hundreds of lines of
HTML that correspond
to 3 lines of code that they're supposed to represent. I'd rather
generate this HTML
via this macro mechanism that I hope exists in some form, maybe in
conjunction with a
makefile-like mechanism.

Here's the org file that I'm working on:
https://raw.github.com/abo-abo/lispy/gh-pages/index.org.
As you see a lot of redundancy there and also several huge ugly HTML blocks.
Btw, is there a way to #include HTML blocks?
Here's the export result: http://abo-abo.github.io/lispy/.

@ 2014-02-20 13:36     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-02-20 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: org mode

Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

>> The following will do what you want.
>>
>> set the value
>> #+begin_src lisp :results silent
>> (defvar foo '(defun square (x)  (* x x)))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+begin_src lisp :results output pp code
>> foo
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+RESULTS:
>> #+BEGIN_SRC lisp
>>
>> (DEFUN SQUARE (X) (* X X))
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Eric Schulte
>> https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte
>> PGP: 0x614CA05D
>
> Thanks, Eric,
>
> but this isn't what I had in mind.  I want the org-mode file to remain
> unchanged while behaving as if it was changed, something like C
> macros: C compiler is not aware of macros and I'm not aware of the
> expanded code, but we get along nicely anyway.

Think of code blocks as macros with optional interactive expansion.  If
you don't execute the code block you need not ever see the results,
however with an additional ":exports results" header argument the code
block will be executed and replaced with it's results on export.

Take a look at the (info "(org) Working With Source Code") portion of
the Org-mode manual.

Hope this helps,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Does org export have something like Lisp quasiquote and unquote?
@ 2014-02-20 16:56       ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-02-20 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: org mode

> Think of code blocks as macros with optional interactive expansion.  If
> you don't execute the code block you need not ever see the results,
> however with an additional ":exports results" header argument the code
> block will be executed and replaced with it's results on export.
>
> Take a look at the (info "(org) Working With Source Code") portion of
> the Org-mode manual.

Thanks, I'll look there.
Is it possible to have a code block that evals to a string wrapped in
#+BEGIN_HTML, #+END_HTML and be treated as a HTML block on export?

@ 2014-02-20 18:13         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-02-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: org mode

Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

>> Think of code blocks as macros with optional interactive expansion.  If
>> you don't execute the code block you need not ever see the results,
>> however with an additional ":exports results" header argument the code
>> block will be executed and replaced with it's results on export.
>>
>> Take a look at the (info "(org) Working With Source Code") portion of
>> the Org-mode manual.
>>

> Thanks, I'll look there.
> Is it possible to have a code block that evals to a string wrapped in
> #+BEGIN_HTML, #+END_HTML and be treated as a HTML block on export?

Yes, see (info "(org) results").

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Does org export have something like Lisp quasiquote and unquote?
@ 2014-02-20 21:48           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-02-20 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: org mode, Oleh

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>> Think of code blocks as macros with optional interactive expansion.  If
>>> you don't execute the code block you need not ever see the results,
>>> however with an additional ":exports results" header argument the code
>>> block will be executed and replaced with it's results on export.
>>>
>>> Take a look at the (info "(org) Working With Source Code") portion of
>>> the Org-mode manual.
>>>

>> Thanks, I'll look there.
>> Is it possible to have a code block that evals to a string wrapped in
>> #+BEGIN_HTML, #+END_HTML and be treated as a HTML block on export?
>>

> Yes, see (info "(org) results").

As Eric suggested, the simplest is something like ":results value html"
or ":results output html". But if you need something more involved,
please keep reading.

I recently had to use something similar, where the result of a code
block would need to be wrapped in #+begin_src / #+end_src. After much
help from this list, I ended up with this solution:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-1-10-4

You can ignore / replace the "fetchsrc" bit with the code you want to
evaluate, and adapt the "wrap-coq" to your setting.

Alan