* Normalizing tags
@ 2014-09-02 22:11 Brett Witty
From: Brett Witty @ 2014-09-02 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone made a module to normalize tags across your entire setup? That
is if you have "Blog" and "blog" as tags, then you fix it as one or the
other, or "hint" and "tip" tags being collapsed.

If not, would people be interested in that?

BrettW

* Re: Normalizing tags
@ 2014-09-03  7:06 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2014-09-03  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brett Witty writes:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone made a module to normalize tags across your entire setup?

Not that I know of.

> That is if you have "Blog" and "blog" as tags, then you fix it as one
> or the other, or "hint" and "tip" tags being collapsed.
>
> If not, would people be interested in that?

There may not be a lot of demand for it since tags are bounded by colons
and can be easily search-replaced. Of course, a function that flags up
all the possible duplicates and queries you for the preferred form could
be a time-saver.

If you're planning to write one:

In addition to capitalization ("Blog"/"blog"), it would be useful to
look for English singular/plural ("blog"/"blogs") -- but let the user
beware ("aid" and "aids" may not be the same tag).

People tagging their documents in other languages might find some kind
of pattern-matching option helpful.

What I would find *really* nice, now that Org supports tag groups, is a
function to normalize old documents where entries are tagged with both a
group tag and its members. That is, given

  #+TAGS: { music : classical rock folk }

and a heading like

  * Woody Guthrie  :music:American:folk:

the function would remove the redundant group tag to yield

  * Woody Guthrie  :American:folk:

Yours,
Christian