* C-c $ missing?
@ 2022-08-18 16:46 Summer Emacs
From: Summer Emacs @ 2022-08-18 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone, first time posting. I hope it's okay to ask this here (I'm
totally new):

Since this morning (I updated a few packages but not sure which), C-c $
is missing in org mode? It's how I used to archive tasks when they were
done. I know that I can use C-c C-x C-s but I used to just use C-c $ and
it worked. Did something change with an update?

(I think it was C-c $ or maybe C-x $? Sometimes I get the two confused)

--
Summer,
Sent from MU4E in Emacs,

* Re: C-c $ missing?
@ 2022-08-18 23:19 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2022-08-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Summer Emacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 ---- On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:46:23 -0400  Summer Emacs  wrote ---

 > Hi everyone, first time posting. I hope it's okay to ask this here (I'm
 > totally new):

Welcome!

 > Since this morning (I updated a few packages but not sure which), C-c $
 > is missing in org mode? It's how I used to archive tasks when they were
 > done. I know that I can use C-c C-x C-s but I used to just use C-c $ and
 > it worked. Did something change with an update?
 >
 > (I think it was C-c $ or maybe C-x $? Sometimes I get the two confused)

I don't know if anything changed with Org, I'll let others speak to that.  However, in the mean time, check C-h k C-c C-x C-s to see what command is bound to that sequence (is it org-archive-subtree?).  Then you can bind it with something like:

(eval-after-load 'org-mode
  (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-x C-s") #'org-archive-subtree))

This says, "after loading org-mode for the first time, define the key sequence within the variable telling Emacs what keys do what for org-mode to call the function org-archive-subtree when it sees C-c C-x C-s."  The C-h f and C-h v commands describe-function and describe-variable can probably explain that better.

 > --
 > Summer,
 > Sent from MU4E in Emacs,
 > Because I'm becoming a NEWBIE at this!

We all start somewhere!   I hope this helps.  Just saw your message as I was passing by.  If it's unclear, that's totally my fault!

* Re: C-c $ missing?
@ 2022-08-19  6:06   ` Summer Emacs
From: Summer Emacs @ 2022-08-19  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt @ 2022-08-18 19:19 :

>  ---- On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:46:23 -0400  Summer Emacs  wrote ---
>  >
>  > Hi everyone, first time posting. I hope it's okay to ask this here (I'm
>  > totally new):
>
> Welcome!

ty! 🙃

>  > Since this morning (I updated a few packages but not sure which), C-c $
>  > is missing in org mode? It's how I used to archive tasks when they were
>  > done. I know that I can use C-c C-x C-s but I used to just use C-c $ and
>  > it worked. Did something change with an update?
>  >
>  > (I think it was C-c $ or maybe C-x $? Sometimes I get the two confused)
>
> I don't know if anything changed with Org, I'll let others speak to
> that.  However, in the mean time, check C-h k C-c C-x C-s to see what
> command is bound to that sequence (is it org-archive-subtree?).  Then
> you can bind it with something like:

Yep it's that. 🙃

> (eval-after-load 'org-mode
>   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-x C-s") #'org-archive-subtree))

It's already bound to that so no need. 🙃

> This says, "after loading org-mode for the first time, define the key
> sequence within the variable telling Emacs what keys do what for
> org-mode to call the function org-archive-subtree when it sees C-c C-x
> C-s."  The C-h f and C-h v commands describe-function and
> describe-variable can probably explain that better.

C-c C-x C-s was never in question. 🙃 I was asking what happened to 'C-c
$' because that *would* actually archive the subtree instead of having
to type out C-c C-x C-s. It's even in my notes for emacs commands to use
and I used to use it every day for DONE tasks. 🙃

From my notes:

* C-c C-t - Change task status
* C-c $ - Archive subtree

See? It's there. 🙃

(Sorry for the hearts emojis those are my bullets in org mode I just
copy/pasted)

So I was just curious as to what happened to C-c $? But as to your
explanation for the code, I will keep that and use it whenever it comes
up! Ty! I *have* done *basic* keybinds before but nothing more than
that. In fact, I'm putting your code in my denote files for later
reference. Thank you very much. 🙃

> [... 4 lines elided]

> We all start somewhere!   I hope this helps.  Just saw your message as I was passing by.  If it's unclear, that's totally my fault!

Yea we definitely do. TY for your reply. 🙂

--

@ 2022-08-19  6:26     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-19  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Summer Emacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Summer Emacs <summeremacs@gmail.com> writes:

> C-c C-x C-s was never in question. 🙃 I was asking what happened to 'C-c
> $' because that *would* actually archive the subtree instead of having
> to type out C-c C-x C-s. It's even in my notes for emacs commands to use
> and I used to use it every day for DONE tasks. 🙃
>
> From my notes:
>
> * C-c C-t - Change task status
> * C-c $ - Archive subtree
>
> See? It's there. 🙃

org-keys.el still have
(org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "C-c $") #'org-archive-subtree)

So, it is likely some third-party package or your config overriding this
binding somehow.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: C-c $ missing?
@ 2022-08-19  6:37     ` Mark Barton
From: Mark Barton @ 2022-08-19  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Summer Emacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Aug 18, 2022, at 11:06 PM, Summer Emacs <summeremacs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I was just curious as to what happened to C-c $?

On my Emacs setup C-c $ is mapped to flyspell-correct-word-before-point, but C-h b  shows that it is bound to org-archive-subtree. Did you recently enable spellcheck in org mode?

If I M-x flyspell-mode to turn off flyspell then C-c $ is mapped back to org-archive-subtree.

If that is the case for you, you could try adding this to your init file.

(eval-after-load "flyspell"
  '(define-key flyspell-mode-map (kbd "C-c $") nil))

Mark

* Re: C-c $ missing?
@ 2022-08-19  6:39       ` Summer Emacs
From: Summer Emacs @ 2022-08-19  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mark Barton @ 2022-08-18 23:37 :

> [... 5 lines elided]

> On my Emacs setup C-c $ is mapped to flyspell-correct-word-before-point, but C-h b  shows that it is bound to org-archive-subtree.
> Did you recently enable spellcheck in org mode?

Aha! that must be it because I enabled flyspell globally in all text/org
docs just 2 days ago but I had forgotten that I did that.

> If I M-x flyspell-mode to turn off flyspell then C-c $ is mapped back to org-archive-subtree.
>
> If that is the case for you, you could try adding this to your init file.
>
> (eval-after-load "flyspell"
>   '(define-key flyspell-mode-map (kbd "C-c $") nil))

TY! That's exactly what I was hoping for. And thank you to Ihor and Matt
as well for pointing me in the right direction. I was just reading up on
C-c $ with C-h k when you replied so thank you to all of you for helping
out. Noted everything down for future reference. 🙃

--

@ 2022-08-19 10:02         ` Mark Barton
From: Mark Barton @ 2022-08-19 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Summer Emacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Aug 18, 2022, at 11:39 PM, Summer Emacs <summeremacs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TY! That's exactly what I was hoping for. And thank you to Ihor and Matt
> as well for pointing me in the right direction. I was just reading up on
> C-c $ with C-h k when you replied so thank you to all of you for helping
> out. Noted everything down for future reference. 🙃

You are welcome. You may eventually want to read about Speed Keys in Org mode that is enabled with the org-use-speed-commands variable. That enables you to just press "a" when at the beginning of a headline to archive that subtree. I use speed keys daily to clock-in to a task and to refile a task into one of my project subtrees.

* Re: C-c $ missing?
@ 2022-08-19 11:28           ` Summer Emacs
From: Summer Emacs @ 2022-08-19 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mark Barton @ 2022-08-19 03:02 :

> [... 8 lines elided]

> You are welcome. You may eventually want to read about Speed Keys in Org mode that is enabled with the org-use-speed-commands
> variable. That enables you to just press "a" when at the beginning of a headline to archive that subtree. I use speed keys daily to
> clock-in to a task and to refile a task into one of my project subtrees.

tysvm! 🙃 I had no idea that existed and I will be reading about it
pretty soon. I just pulled up some web pages about it and will read them
this evening.