* Workflow Ideas/questions
@ 2009-03-24 20:51 David Thole
From: David Thole @ 2009-03-24 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey all,

I was thinking a bit about my workflow with org-mode, and I'm thinking
that I should change up a bit of how I'm doing stuff.  Basically what I do
now is use org-mode for my GTD stuff (that is, ticket management, notes
about tickets, etc), and then use muse mode for other stuff.

Right now my structure is:
ris.org = my tickets specific to work
work.org = my work tasks that aren't tickets
home.org = my home tasks

The problem I have now is that I use muse-mode for project notes, which
can be on multiple machines sometimes. So the agenda itself loads those
three org files to display the ris/work/home tasks, and I use follow mode
and add a few notes here and there to the tickets, (ris.org files that
is).

So really my curious workflow questions are:
* Ticket information - SQL statement, code, etc..that can get pretty
verbose.  Is a drawer OK for that? How do others handle that information
* Meeting notes - would another org file be useful for that?  If I want to
publish the file into something that could have a TOC and all that...I
don't know how to explain this better, I kinda want something to be able
to view this through a browser sometimes.  *shrug* some ideas on this
would be helpful
* Organization - Could I organize things more efficiently?  Thinking of
maybe using properties drawer a bit more.

General ideas would be appreciative.  Thanks for the help.

-David

* Re: Workflow Ideas/questions
@ 2009-03-25 21:18 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-03-25 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:21 AM, David Thole wrote:
  > Hey all,
  >
  > I was thinking a bit about my workflow with org-mode, and I'm thinking
  > that I should change up a bit of how I'm doing stuff. Basically what I do
  > now is use org-mode for my GTD stuff (that is, ticket management, notes
  > about tickets, etc), and then use muse mode for other stuff.
  >
  > Right now my structure is:
  > ris.org = my tickets specific to work
  > work.org = my work tasks that aren't tickets
  > home.org = my home tasks
  >
  > The problem I have now is that I use muse-mode for project notes, which
  > can be on multiple machines sometimes. So the agenda itself loads those
  > three org files to display the ris/work/home tasks, and I use follow mode
  > and add a few notes here and there to the tickets, (ris.org files that
  > is).

I am sorry but I did not understand your problem.  May be you would be
better off keeping your notes in org mode as well (unless there is a
more compelling reason to the contrary.)

  > So really my curious workflow questions are:
  > * Ticket information - SQL statement, code, etc..that can get pretty
  > verbose. Is a drawer OK for that? How do others handle that information

I would prefer folding it using a list item or may be a sub-heading.

  > * Meeting notes - would another org file be useful for that? If I
  > want to publish the file into something that could have a TOC and
  > all that...I don't know how to explain this better, I kinda want
  > something to be able to view this through a browser
  > sometimes. *shrug* some ideas on this would be helpful

How about selecting and publishing only the region?

  > * Organization - Could I organize things more efficiently? Thinking
  > of maybe using properties drawer a bit more.

I would suggest noticing where you have to spend most of your
attention and key strokes etc. and may be then optimize that.  Try
using tags more; they are almost magical with fast filtering.

Regards
--
Manish

* Re: Workflow Ideas/questions
@ 2009-03-26  2:42 ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2009-03-26  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"David Thole" <dthole@gmail.com> writes:
> I was thinking a bit about my workflow with org-mode, and I'm thinking
> that I should change up a bit of how I'm doing stuff.  Basically what I do
> now is use org-mode for my GTD stuff (that is, ticket management, notes
> about tickets, etc), and then use muse mode for other stuff.

I'm not sure I have any specific recommendations for you, but thought
I'd share my setup, and maybe it will help somehow.

I use Muse for writing documents and blog articles, and Org to manage my
entire life a la GTD.  I have my workflow split into the following
files:

| File           | Purpose                                              |
|----------------+------------------------------------------------------|
| checklists.org | Recuring tasks (pay phone bill), trigger lists, etc. |
| projects.org   | Projects with concrete action lists                  |
| review.org     | Information that I may need to review later, notes   |
| someday.org    | Projects that I might do someday, but not right now  |

I use top-level headings in the projects.org file to split my projects
into categories:

* Personal
** Some Personal Project
*** NEXT Next action
* Business
** Some Business Project
*** NEXT Next action

I also have one org file for each one of my clients.  These client files
have top-level headings that mirror my main files, for example:

* Notes / Review
* Checklists
* Someday / Maybe
* Projects

There is a file-level tag of :project: in the projects.org file, and in
the client files I tag the Projects heading with :project:.

Relevant org variables:

 org-stuck-projects '("+LEVEL=2+project|+LEVEL=3+subproject" ("NEXT" "PENDING") ("single") "")

 org-agenda-custom-commands
 '(("d" "Daily Agenda"
    ((agenda ""
             ((org-agenda-todo-keyword-format "")
              (org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
     (tags "LEVEL=2+goals"
           ((org-agenda-remove-tags t)
            (org-agenda-prefix-format "  ")
           (org-agenda-todo-keyword-format "")))
     (todo "NEXT"
           ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(tag-up))
            (org-agenda-show-inherited-tags nil)
            (org-agenda-todo-keyword-format "")))
     (todo "PENDING"
           ((org-agenda-todo-keyword-format "")))
     (stuck ""
            ((org-agenda-remove-tags t))))))

I look at the above agenda view several times a day (probably hundreds).
I narrow and widen the focus to specific contexts, and to client tasks
via tags throughout the day to keep from procrastinating.

Honestly, Org is the most import tool in my life.  After years of
playing with GTD and trying to make it work for me, Org finally put
everything into place.

HTH,

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com