From: "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
To: d.tchin@voila.fr
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-plot : interaction problem with gnuplot
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:14:20 -0700	[thread overview]

d.tchin@voila.fr writes:

> Hi
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> 1°) I try to use comint buffer and to launch few commands. I don't
>     really understand the way comint works but it seems that each
>     time that I use a command, there is a freeze, and to access
>     back to the emacs  buffer I have to use \C-g several times.

Hi,

Given the above, it sounds like the problem lies in either gnuplot or
gnuplot-mode.  It may be worthwhile testing out the gnuplot command
directly from a terminal (if it doesn't work there it won't work
anywhere else).

> 2°) I put the instruction you suggested. I try to use org-plot/gnuplot
>     and I have the following output on message buffer:

Since the problem seems to lie upstream from org-plot, please
ignore/undo the second instructions I sent in the previous email.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Maybe the maintainer of gnuplot-mode[1]
could be of more help.

Best -- Eric

> [...]
>> > haven't managed to use it until now.
>> > I would like to submit to you few remarks I have done.
>> >
>> > I use GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Microsoft Windows XP OS.
>> > I have installed gnuplot and I can use it with gnuplot-mode.
>> >
>> > I tried to follow the tutorial of Eric Schulte but I didn't manage to get a plot of
>> > simple example extracted from the tutorial.
>> >
>> > I use these data defined in a file orgplot.org :
>> > #+PLOT: title:"Citas" ind:1 deps:(3) type:2d with:histograms set:"yrange [0:]"
>> > | Sede | Max cites | H-index |
>> > |------------+-----------+---------|
>> > | Chile | 257.72 | 21.39 |
>> > | Leeds | 165.77 | 19.68 |
>> > | São Paolo | 71.00 | 11.50 |
>> > | Stockholm | 134.19 | 14.33 |
>> > | Morelia | 257.56 | 17.67 |
>> >

>> > When I use org-plot/gnuplot, gnuplot is launched with only the reset command
>> > and emacs is totally freezed. To get back to emacs, I use \C-g command.
>> >

>> Hmm, it is not clear to me what is happening here. It is possible that
>> the problem is somehow related to running on a windows machine, as I
>> have only personally tested org-plot on linux and Mac OS's.
>>
>> The only two things I can think of at the moment are
>> 1. the reset command is freezing on your machine, you could test this
>> out by starting up a gnuplot comint buffer and entering the "reset"
>> command
>> 2. for some reason the script is not being set to the correct value, you
>> could test this by adding the following line
>>
>> (message "script is %s" script)
>>
>> right after line 263 in lisp/org-plot.el, then reloading that
>> function (with C-M-x) and running org-plot-gnuplot again, checking
>> the message buffer to see the contents of the script variable.
>>
>> Sorry I can't be of more help. If I find time I may re-write org-plot
>> to use org-babel (see any of my other recent emails for more information
>> on org-babel) which could eliminate this problem.
>>
>> Please do let me know the results of looking into the above suggestions,
>> or if you have any ideas breakthroughs.
>>
>> Thanks -- Eric
>>

>> > I have checked few things :
>> >
>> > - org-plot/gnuplot managed to build a temporay file org-plot???? with the following
>> > data
>> >
>> > "Chile" 257.72 21.39
>> > "Leeds" 165.77 19.68
>> > "São Paolo" 71.00 11.50
>> > "Stockholm" 134.19 14.33
>> > "Morelia" 257.56 17.67
>> >

>> That looks right
>>

>> > - I suppose that org-plot/gnuplot builds a temporary buffer with the instructions
>> > that will be sent to gnuplot. I checked that *gnuplot* buffer with
>> > gnuplot-show-gnuplot-buffer. There is only the reset command.
>> >

>> That makes sense, it is still possible that the entire command is being
>> constructed, but that Emacs is freezing before anything after the
>> "reset" line are evaluated and dropped into the *gnuplot* buffer. The
>> above `message' statement should resolve whether this is the case.
>>

>> > Do you have any idea to solve this problem ?

Footnotes:
[1]  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/gnuplot-mode.html