* [BUG] `org-fill-paragraph' doesn't respect formatting
@ 2021-12-07 17:12 Tor Kringeland
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tor Kringeland @ 2021-12-07 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Applying `org-fill-paragraph' to /e.g./

  /Some text./  Some more text.

when `sentence-end-double-space' is t removes the double space to a
single space.  The same happens with other formatting like *bold* and
_underline_.  In other instances it is more context aware.  /E.g./
applying it to

  (Some text.)  Some more text.

does nothing, which is correct.

* Re: [BUG] `org-fill-paragraph' doesn't respect formatting
@ 2021-12-08 11:24 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2021-12-08 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tor Kringeland <tor.a.s.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> Applying `org-fill-paragraph' to /e.g./
>
>   /Some text./  Some more text.
>
> when `sentence-end-double-space' is t removes the double space to a
> single space.  The same happens with other formatting like *bold* and
> _underline_.  In other instances it is more context aware.  /E.g./
> applying it to
>
>   (Some text.)  Some more text.
>
> does nothing, which is correct.

Confirmed.

This should bring the issue to https://updates.orgmode.org/ I think.

Thanks!

* Re: [BUG] `org-fill-paragraph' doesn't respect formatting
@ 2022-10-06  8:55 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-06  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tor Kringeland <tor.a.s.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> Applying `org-fill-paragraph' to /e.g./
>
>   /Some text./  Some more text.
>
> when `sentence-end-double-space' is t removes the double space to a
> single space.  The same happens with other formatting like *bold* and
> _underline_.  In other instances it is more context aware.  /E.g./
> applying it to
>
>   (Some text.)  Some more text.
>
> does nothing, which is correct.

This is because Org does not set sentence-end-base to include the markup
markers.

The easiest way to fix this bug will be setting sentence-end-base.
However, in addition to fixing the particular case in this bug report,
such change may have unforeseen consequences in other scenarios.

We may be more selective and only allow the actual parsed emphasis end
markers to be recognized as sentence end.

Or I may be overthinking things because
`org-mode-transpose-word-syntax-table' is already using indiscriminate
approach wrt treating the emphasis barely shielding emphasis additions
to specific commands (like in `org-fill-element').

WDYT?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] `org-fill-paragraph' doesn't respect formatting
@ 2022-10-06 13:24 ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2022-10-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland, emacs-orgmode

Tor Kringeland <tor.a.s.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> The same happens with other formatting like *bold* and _underline_.

+1

I bump into this inconsistency almost every day, e.g.

*Example.* Starting with $n = 12$, ...

Rudy
--
"The whole science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday
thinking."

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava