* Refile as top-level headlines?
@ 2009-01-14 15:49 Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of org-files and use org-refile all the time as part of
my normal workflow. My basic approach is to remember things to an
inbox.org file and then to process the inbox GTD-style.

One thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is how to refile headers
as top level headlines in a target file. I've customized org-refile
with the following settings:

,----
| (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
| (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 1)
| 			     (nil :maxlevel . 3)))
`----

(Note: the second setting in org-refile-targets gives me additional,
deeper targets in whatever file I'm visiting.)

What I'd like to see is for maxlevel to include the possibility of
filing an item as a top-level headline (at the bottom of the file).
This would make it easier to create new top-level projects directly
from my inbox. Otherwise, if the item I'm refiling doesn't naturally
fit under any of the existing top level headlines in the target file,
I have to (1) copy it by hand or (2) create a inbox heading in the
target file, which I then have to empty again as part of a separate
process (tedious with many org files).

Perhaps this desired behavior is already possible. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: Refile as top-level headlines?
@ 2009-01-17 12:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-17 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 14, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a lot of org-files and use org-refile all the time as part of
> my normal workflow. My basic approach is to remember things to an
> inbox.org file and then to process the inbox GTD-style.
>
> One thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is how to refile headers
> as top level headlines in a target file. I've customized org-refile
> with the following settings:
>
> ,----
> | (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
> | (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 1)
> | 			     (nil :maxlevel . 3)))
> `----
>
> (Note: the second setting in org-refile-targets gives me additional,
> deeper targets in whatever file I'm visiting.)
>
> What I'd like to see is for maxlevel to include the possibility of
> filing an item as a top-level headline (at the bottom of the file).

Hmmm, how would you like the interface to work?  Just have an entry
in the list that is only the file name?  And if it is only a single
file,
just replying with the empty string?

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-18 16:31   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-18 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jan 14, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a lot of org-files and use org-refile all the time as part of
>> my normal workflow. My basic approach is to remember things to an
>> inbox.org file and then to process the inbox GTD-style.
>>
>> One thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is how to refile headers
>> as top level headlines in a target file. I've customized org-refile
>> with the following settings:
>>
>> ,----
>> | (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
>> | (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 1)
>> | 			     (nil :maxlevel . 3)))
>> `----
>>
>> (Note: the second setting in org-refile-targets gives me additional,
>> deeper targets in whatever file I'm visiting.)
>>
>> What I'd like to see is for maxlevel to include the possibility of
>> filing an item as a top-level headline (at the bottom of the file).
>
> Hmmm, how would you like the interface to work?  Just have an entry
> in the list that is only the file name?  And if it is only a single
> file,
> just replying with the empty string?

1. First idea:

Perhaps this option could be activated only when:

(setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)

Currently with the above setting and refile targets with a maxlevel of
2, completion with refile offers the following targets:

computer.org/headline/ (computer.org)

vs.

computer.org/headline/subheading/ (computer.org)

To file under the first target, one can hit space after completing
headline. Perhaps there could also be an option for hitting space after
the first completion, i.e., after computer.org.

computer.org/ (computer.org)

2. Second idea:

Another possibility would be as you suggest: to offer the file name
independently as one of the targets. And if it's only one file, perhaps
the file name could still be offered as a target the sake of clarity.
This would then work regardless of the setting of
org-refile-use-outline-path.

I realize not everyone would want this behavior. Maybe one would need to
set it explicitly either by (1) setting level to 0 for
org-refile-targets or (2) making maxlevel a negative number (i.e., if
positive then don't offer level 0 targets; if negative offer level 0
targets).

Just an idea.... I'm sure your ideas about this will be much better! :-)

Thanks for considering this.

@ 2009-04-04  3:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-04  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik