* Some table questions
@ 2009-09-02 16:12 andrea crotti
From: andrea crotti @ 2009-09-02 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I really like tables and I enabled it also in mail-mode, but I have some
questions about them.

- When I export tables to html I don't get any border, I looked at the
  code and it's the css embedded, but I didn't find the variables to set
  it up. Is it also possible to set it for every different table? (with
  a comment on top)

- Always about exporting, I also found org-plot which is very nice,
  would be possible to set (in a project for example) to also export and
  include somehow the generated graph inside my html page??
  Maybe would be tricky but would be really useful...

- Is it possible to do something only on one row/column/region??
  If for example I have a table like that

  | USER  | SECRET PASSWORD        |
  |-------+------------------------|
  | pippo | I don't want to see it |

  Would I be able to encrypt/decrypt only one column?
  Rectangles are not always working fine for me on emacs, so I was
  looking for an org-mode solution

- Last thing is plotting with dates. Given a table like
|------------------------+-----+-----|
| Date                   | max | min |
|------------------------+-----+-----|
| [2009-05-05 Tue 11:40] | 145 |  90 |
| [2009-05-16 Sat 20:00] | 135 |  85 |
| [2009-05-25 Mon 20:00] | 130 |  85 |
| [2009-06-12 Fri 13:00] | 130 |  78 |
| [2009-08-06 Thu 17:45] | 118 |  88 |

  For example I can't plot it with the dates because gnuplot maybe
  doesn't accept some characters, would be possible to convert it to a
  nicer string before trying to plot?

Phew ok sorry a lot of questions but I've been collecting them for some
time..

* Re: Some table questions
@ 2009-09-02 16:38 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-09-02 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> - When I export tables to html I don't get any border, I looked at the
>   code and it's the css embedded, but I didn't find the variables to set
>   it up. Is it also possible to set it for every different table? (with
>   a comment on top)

Check out section 12.6.4 (Tables in HTML export) of the Org manual.

Nick

* Re: Some table questions
@ 2009-09-03  6:51 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-03  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 2, 2009, at 6:12 PM, andrea crotti wrote:

> - Is it possible to do something only on one row/column/region??
> If for example I have a table like that
>
> | USER  | SECRET PASSWORD        |
> |-------+------------------------|
> | pippo | I don't want to see it |
>
> Would I be able to encrypt/decrypt only one column?
> Rectangles are not always working fine for me on emacs, so I was
> looking for an org-mode solution

No, this is not possible currently.

- Carsten

* Re: Some table questions
@ 2009-09-03  9:22   ` andrea crotti
From: andrea crotti @ 2009-09-03  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Check out section 12.6.4 (Tables in HTML export) of the Org manual.

Thanks I found it very nice, my info manual differs from the online,
maybe because I'm still using version 6.28..

Anyway another thing, nested tables are not allowed, is it correct?
Sometimes I would like to have one row longer than one cell only but it
doesn't look possible..

Every cell can't contain '\n' also as I found out, is that correct?

* Re: Re: Some table questions
@ 2009-09-03 12:48     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-09-03 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>

> > Check out section 12.6.4 (Tables in HTML export) of the Org manual.
> >

> Thanks I found it very nice, my info manual differs from the online,
> maybe because I'm still using version 6.28..
>
> Anyway another thing, nested tables are not allowed, is it correct?
> Sometimes I would like to have one row longer than one cell only but it
> doesn't look possible..

Yes, I think nested tables are not supported.  I think that would be
very difficult to do: the markup is not designed for ease of parsing
(unlike e.g. HTML, where the beginning/end of the table are marked
explicitly).

> Every cell can't contain '\n' also as I found out, is that correct?

Not sure what you mean here: what's a cell? e.g.

| a | b | c |
| d | e | f |

I can consider "a" as the contents of a cell (six cells), or I can consider
"a
 d"

as the contents of a cell (three cells in total). Org itself does not
impose a cell concept on the table: it's just text. How that table gets
translated e.g. to HTML is another matter: the current exporter does
indeed make it into a 6-cell table, but there is nothing stopping you
from enhancing it to do something different. If you do something interesting,
you can always contribute it to org. And if you come up with a compelling
use case, you might even be able to persuade somebody else to do the work
for you !-)

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Some table questions
@ 2009-09-04 10:46   ` andrea crotti
From: andrea crotti @ 2009-09-04 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> No, this is not possible currently.

Well but I can set up formulas for an entire column like for example:

| 1 | 1 |
| 2 | 4 |
#+TBLFM: $2=$1^2

If I could hide one column with another setting than I would be able to
apply the formula on a hidden field..

I'm not sure it's so easy to do though, but it could open other
possibilities, no?

* Re: Re: Some table questions
@ 2009-09-04 11:16     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-04 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:46 PM, andrea crotti wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> No, this is not possible currently.
>>

> Well but I can set up formulas for an entire column like for example:
>
> | 1 | 1 |
> | 2 | 4 |
> #+TBLFM: $2=$1^2
>
> If I could hide one column with another setting than I would be able
> apply the formula on a hidden field..
>
> I'm not sure it's so easy to do though, but it could open other
> possibilities, no?

On way to hide a column is this:

#+STARTUP: align

|   | <2> |
| 1 | 1   |
| 2 | 4   |
#+TBLFM: $2=$1^2

Another way would be to use font-lock to display something
over the content.  But I don't think this is an option we should have.
You can encrypt entire sections using org-crypt.el

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Some table questions
@ 2009-09-04 12:01     ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-09-04 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:46:02 +0200
andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > No, this is not possible currently.
> >

> Well but I can set up formulas for an entire column like for example:
>
> | 1 | 1 |
> | 2 | 4 |
> #+TBLFM: $2=$1^2
>
> If I could hide one column with another setting than I would be able to
> apply the formula on a hidden field..
>
> I'm not sure it's so easy to do though, but it could open other
> possibilities, no?

It is possible to apply a formula only to one column, e.g.:
| 1 | a | q |
| 2 | b | r |
#+TBLFM: $1=@0+10

will add 10 to all entries in the first column.

As for your encryption/decryption example, you can invoke a lisp
function on every item in a column, as described in the manual:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Formula-syntax-for-Lisp.html
e.g:

| readable | secret |
| text     | text   |
#+TBLFM: $2='(rot13-string @0)

For real encryption/decryption toggling one could prepend a special
character to each entry to indicate whether it is currently
encrypted or not.

Andy