* Possible bug with new exporter and org-babel
@ 2013-05-20 11:47 giles
From: giles @ 2013-05-20 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I came across this issue whilst trying to use or to generate some
release notes in a prettier format.

Start with an  org file consisting of only two lines:

* Noddy
call_req()

Then export to LaTeX C-c C-e l o

This fails with the message:

org-babel-ref-resolve: Reference 'req' not found in this buffer

I've just updated to current github head and the issue remains.

--
Giles Chamberlin

* Re: Possible bug with new exporter and org-babel
@ 2013-05-20 14:34 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-05-20 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Where *is* "req" defined?  So far the behavior you describe seems
expected.

Thanks,

giles@pexip.com writes:

> I came across this issue whilst trying to use or to generate some
> release notes in a prettier format.
>
> Start with an  org file consisting of only two lines:
>
> * Noddy
> call_req()
>
> Then export to LaTeX C-c C-e l o
>
> This fails with the message:
>
> org-babel-ref-resolve: Reference 'req' not found in this buffer
>
> I've just updated to current github head and the issue remains.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Possible bug with new exporter and org-babel
@ 2013-05-20 14:49   ` giles
From: giles @ 2013-05-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Where *is* "req" defined?  So far the behavior you describe seems
> expected.

Sorry for the ambiguity - req isn't defined!

Let me explain a little more clearly: I'm trying to generate some
release notes using org-mode, pulling data from the github issue
tracking system.  I'm really just using org as a text markup
language. One comment in the issue tracker included a stack trace of the
form

      /foo/bar/call_req()

where call_req is a function defined in our (non-org) code.  The
presence of this plain text string in the body of my org document causes
exporting to fail.

I'm not familiar with either the new exporter or the details of babel
(though a happy user of it), but my expected behaviour would be that any
babel cleverness would require more to invoke it than just call_foo()
or that there would be some means to say, on a document by document
basis "do not invoke babel"

In any event: is there a way I can include the phrase "call_req()" in
the plain body of my document? Ideally without escaping it, but so so be
it.

Thanks for your patience.

--

@ 2013-05-20 16:48     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-05-20 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

giles@pexip.com writes:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Where *is* "req" defined?  So far the behavior you describe seems
>> expected.
>
> Sorry for the ambiguity - req isn't defined!
>
> Let me explain a little more clearly: I'm trying to generate some
> release notes using org-mode, pulling data from the github issue
> tracking system.  I'm really just using org as a text markup
> language. One comment in the issue tracker included a stack trace of the
> form
>
>       /foo/bar/call_req()
>
> where call_req is a function defined in our (non-org) code.  The
> presence of this plain text string in the body of my org document causes
> exporting to fail.
>
> I'm not familiar with either the new exporter or the details of babel
> (though a happy user of it), but my expected behaviour would be that any
> babel cleverness would require more to invoke it than just call_foo()
> or that there would be some means to say, on a document by document
> basis "do not invoke babel"

Oh, I understand now, thanks for explaining.

> In any event: is there a way I can include the phrase "call_req()" in
> the plain body of my document? Ideally without escaping it, but so so be
> it.

You can either set the `org-export-babel-evaluate' variable to nil,
which will inhibit all babel evaluation (this could be done using a file
local variable), or you can escape call_req() as in the attached
example.

[-- Attachment #2: example.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 268 bytes --]

* Foo
You can avoid attempted evaluation if the call is made to be an
example (this will then export in monospace).

=call_req()=

Escaped inside a =call_req()= line of text.

Another way to escape the stack trace as an example.
: /foo/bar/call_req()

> Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Possible bug with new exporter and org-babel
@ 2013-05-20 18:02       ` giles
From: giles @ 2013-05-20 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Oh, I understand now, thanks for explaining.

I think I talk "minimal example" a little too far!

>> In any event: is there a way I can include the phrase "call_req()" in
>> the plain body of my document? Ideally without escaping it, but so so be
>> it.

> You can either set the `org-export-babel-evaluate' variable to nil,

That's the one I need: basically a way to 'dumb down' the exporter.
Thanks .

--
Giles Chamberlin