* org-store-link dired and files with spaces
@ 2014-04-29  2:18 Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2014-04-29  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with storing links to files with spaces in their
names.

If I visit a dired buffer, use c-c l to store the link of the file under
point and then in an org buffer c-c c-l to insert it.

I find that the file can not be opened from within the org buffer as org
appears to not recognize spaces in the file name and only sees the
filename as the part up until the first space.

An example of a link that does not work:

[[file:resumes/Sandeep%20Salwan%20Satellite%20network%20engineer%20Cover%20Letter.doc][file:resumes/Sandeep Salwan Satellite network engineer Cover Letter.doc]]

I don't quite understand why the first part of the link (the
description) is url encoded but not the latter part?

Kind regards
Bart
--

Bart Bunting

* Re: org-store-link dired and files with spaces
@ 2014-04-29  9:29 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-04-29  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Bunting; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Bart Bunting <bart@bunting.net.au> writes:

> I'm having an issue with storing links to files with spaces in their
> names.
>
> If I visit a dired buffer, use c-c l to store the link of the file under
> point and then in an org buffer c-c c-l to insert it.
>
> I find that the file can not be opened from within the org buffer as org
> appears to not recognize spaces in the file name and only sees the
> filename as the part up until the first space.
>
> An example of a link that does not work:
>
> [[file:resumes/Sandeep%20Salwan%20Satellite%20network%20engineer%20Cover%20Letter.doc][file:resumes/Sandeep
> Salwan Satellite network engineer Cover Letter.doc]]

What Org version are you using? I cannot reproduce it with master.

> I don't quite understand why the first part of the link (the
> description) is url encoded but not the latter part?

The description is for human consumption. It doesn't need to be encoded.
To tell the truth, it can be troublesome if the file name contains
square brackets, but I don't think we need to impede readability to work
around this.

Nicolas Goaziou