* Unexpected macro error
@ 2014-11-19 17:20 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-11-19 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

A document I've been working on for several weeks broke recently without
changes on my part. However, I've been tracking the master git branch
every once in a while and I suspect some change in Org is the culprit.

Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-580-g787733 @ /Users/dk/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)

I haven't tried to make an ECM because I don't know what the problem
could be.  Here is a backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Undefined Org macro: ad; aborting.")
  signal(error ("Undefined Org macro: ad; aborting."))
  error("Undefined Org macro: %s; aborting." "ad")
  org-macro-replace-all((("author" . #("Thomas S. Dye" 0 13 (:parent (#("Thomas S. Dye" 0 13 (:parent #4)))))) ("date" . "\\today") ("email" . "tsd@tsdye.com") ("title" . #("Dating human dispersal in Remote Oceania: A view from Hawai`i" 0 61 (:parent (#("Dating human dispersal in Remote Oceania: A view from Hawai`i" 0 61 (:parent #4))))))) finalize)
  org-export-as(latex nil nil nil (:output-file "./dispersals.tex"))
  org-export-to-file(latex "./dispersals.tex" nil nil nil nil nil #[(file) "\301\b!\207" [file org-latex-compile] 2])
  org-latex-export-to-pdf(nil nil nil nil)
  (org-open-file (org-latex-export-to-pdf nil s v b))
  (if a (org-latex-export-to-pdf t s v b) (org-open-file (org-latex-export-to-pdf nil s v b)))
  (lambda (a s v b) (if a (org-latex-export-to-pdf t s v b) (org-open-file (org-latex-export-to-pdf nil s v b))))(nil nil nil nil)
  org-export-dispatch(nil)
  call-interactively(org-export-dispatch nil nil)
  command-execute(org-export-dispatch)

The error message refers to a macro, ad.  I don't have an "ad" macro.
Where does this come from?

The next header line, after the headers that become macros, is
#+ADDRESS:, which starts with "ad", although the case is different.

Also, the string "ad" occurs frequently in my writing as the path in a
custom link that sets the path as small caps in LaTeX output,
e.g. [[sc:ad][AD]].

You can see that I'm groping in the dark.  Any suggestions how I might
go about debugging this?

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: Unexpected macro error
@ 2014-11-21 22:55 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-21 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> A document I've been working on for several weeks broke recently without
> changes on my part. However, I've been tracking the master git branch
> every once in a while and I suspect some change in Org is the culprit.
>
> Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-580-g787733 @ /Users/dk/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> I haven't tried to make an ECM because I don't know what the problem
> could be.  Here is a backtrace:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Undefined Org macro: ad; aborting.")

[...]

> The error message refers to a macro, ad.  I don't have an "ad" macro.
> Where does this come from?

There is probably a left over {{{ad}}} somewhere, which cannot be
expanded. You way want to debug `org-macro-replace-all' anyway.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Unexpected macro error
@ 2014-11-22  5:13   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-11-22  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha Nicolas,

> Hello,
>
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> A document I've been working on for several weeks broke recently without
>> changes on my part. However, I've been tracking the master git branch
>> every once in a while and I suspect some change in Org is the culprit.
>>
>> Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-580-g787733 @
>> /Users/dk/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)
>>
>> I haven't tried to make an ECM because I don't know what the problem
>> could be.  Here is a backtrace:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Undefined Org macro: ad; aborting.")
>
> [...]
>
>> The error message refers to a macro, ad.  I don't have an "ad" macro.
>> Where does this come from?
>
> There is probably a left over {{{ad}}} somewhere, which cannot be
> expanded.

An {{{ad}}} in a :noexport: section for several months began acting up
recently.  Now that it's gone, things work again.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye