* Moving to a literate file for .emacs
@ 2022-07-04 13:44 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2022-07-04 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I see many users are switching to using a 'literate programming'
approach to tangling their .emacs file from an org file.

Has anyone solved the following problem though?  If I have a file called
config.org containing:

* test

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun quick-test ()
    "interactive"
    (* 3 9)
  )
#+end_src

and then in my .emacs file I do:

(org-babel-load-file "~/config.org")

quick-test is indeed defined, but when I do C-c f RET quick-test RET it
takes me to config.el (a tangled file, suitable for computers, not
humans), rather than config.org.  Is it possible instead to get the
editor to jump to the definition in config.org?

Stephen

* Re: Moving to a literate file for .emacs
@ 2022-07-04 17:49 ` Immanuel Litzroth
From: Immanuel Litzroth @ 2022-07-04 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's possible to let tangling generate comments that will link back to the
literate file where you defined the function.
https://orgmode.org/manual/Extracting-Source-Code.html
See the comment header arg.

Then you could advise the relevant functions that do emacs function lookup
to check whether there's such a "link comment" near the definition and jump
to that instead.

All this is rather hackish and I stopped doing my init files in literate org.
Immanuel

--
-- A man must either resolve to point out nothing new or to become a
slave to defend it. -- Sir Isaac Newton

* Re: Moving to a literate file for .emacs
@ 2022-07-05  2:28 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-07-05  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry