* fetching the description from a link string
@ 2015-11-15 14:39 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-11-15 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I cannot seem to find in org.el a function that will return the
description part of a link. I'm probably missing it … Could someone tell
me if such a function exists?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Athmospheric CO₂ (Updated November 9, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.): 399.06 ppm

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: fetching the description from a link string
@ 2015-11-16  9:45 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-11-16  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I cannot seem to find in org.el a function that will return the
> description part of a link. I'm probably missing it … Could someone tell
> me if such a function exists?

org-element-context on a link will give you what you want.  It lives in
org-element, though.

Something like this when point is on a link,

    (let ((e (org-element-context)))
      (buffer-substring-no-properties
       (org-element-property :contents-begin e)
       (org-element-property :contents-end e)))

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Sådan en god dansk lagereddike kan man slet ikke bruge mere

* Re: fetching the description from a link string
@ 2015-11-17 14:58   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-11-17 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-11-16 10:45, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I cannot seem to find in org.el a function that will return the
>> description part of a link. I'm probably missing it … Could someone tell
>> me if such a function exists?
>
> org-element-context on a link will give you what you want.  It lives in
> org-element, though.
>
> Something like this when point is on a link,
>
>     (let ((e (org-element-context)))
>       (buffer-substring-no-properties
>        (org-element-property :contents-begin e)
>        (org-element-property :contents-end e)))

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm already doing something similar:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(let ((link (org-store-link nil))
      (name (org-element-property :raw-value (org-element-at-point))))
...)
#+end_src

For some reason I was under the impression that org-element might be
overkill for this, but it works well.

Thanks again,

Alan

--

@ 2015-11-28  5:21     ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2015-11-28  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Thank you for the suggestion. I'm already doing something similar:
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (let ((link (org-store-link nil))
>       (name (org-element-property :raw-value (org-element-at-point))))
> ...)
> #+end_src

You can also use org-bracket-link-regexp, if you want:

(let ((link "[[http://example.com][Description]]"))
  (and (string-match org-bracket-link-regexp link)
       (match-string 3 link)))

Sacha