emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Easiest way to calculate time spent
@ 2009-04-06 12:35 Rainer Hansen
  2009-04-06 17:37 ` Manish
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Rainer Hansen @ 2009-04-06 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am new to Org-Mode and I have written a number of project tasks in the 
following form:

* Project
** Task 1
    <2009-03-19 Thu 13:15-13:35>
    Description of Task 1
** Task 2
    <2009-03-18 Wed 12:15-13:35>
    Description of Task 2
** Task 3
     SCHEDULED: <2009-03-11 Wed 19:55-21:45> CLOSED: [2009-03-12 Thu 23:29]
     Result of Task 3

For task 3 the time calculated should be 2009-03-11 19:55-21:45 that mean 1:50 
hours.

I have quite a number of items and I wonder if there is an easy way to sum up 
all the time spent on the project (similar to what you can do with clocked 
items)? 

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Rainer

P.S. I love Org-Mode - it is great!

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Easiest way to calculate time spent
  2009-04-06 12:35 Easiest way to calculate time spent Rainer Hansen
@ 2009-04-06 17:37 ` Manish
  2009-04-06 20:14   ` Rainer Hansen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Manish @ 2009-04-06 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Rainer Hansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Org-Mode and I have written a number of project tasks in the
> following form:
>
> * Project
> ** Task 1
>  <2009-03-19 Thu 13:15-13:35>
>  Description of Task 1
> ** Task 2
>  <2009-03-18 Wed 12:15-13:35>
>  Description of Task 2
> ** Task 3
>   SCHEDULED: <2009-03-11 Wed 19:55-21:45> CLOSED: [2009-03-12 Thu 23:29]
>   Result of Task 3
>
> For task 3 the time calculated should be 2009-03-11 19:55-21:45 that mean 1:50
> hours.
>
> I have quite a number of items and I wonder if there is an easy way to sum up
> all the time spent on the project (similar to what you can do with clocked items)?

You mean "time meant to be spent" on the project, right? ;-) Since the
actual time
spent should be clocked.

Anyhow, you can set org-columns-default-format, e.g.:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(setq org-columns-default-format "%TODO %60ITEM(Task)
%5Effort(Estim){:} %5CLOCKSUM(Clock)")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Then switch to column view using C-c C-x C-c.  Effort column should reflect
the totals for the time you planned to spend on the tasks in the top most
line.

HTH
-- 
Manish

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Easiest way to calculate time spent
  2009-04-06 17:37 ` Manish
@ 2009-04-06 20:14   ` Rainer Hansen
  2009-04-06 21:17     ` Manish
  2009-04-06 21:21     ` Matthew Lundin
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Rainer Hansen @ 2009-04-06 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Manish,

thanks for the tip but it does not seem to work. All columns seem to be filled 
with values except of the Estim colum. There are no values displayed.

I have done the clocking manually without the help of Org-Mode. The values in 
my case are actually no estimates but rather the clocked values. Now I want 
to sum them up to see how many hours I have spent on the project.

Regards,
Rainer

On Monday 06 April 2009 19:37:07 Manish wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Rainer Hansen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to Org-Mode and I have written a number of project tasks in the
> > following form:
> >
> > * Project
> > ** Task 1
> >  <2009-03-19 Thu 13:15-13:35>
> >  Description of Task 1
> > ** Task 2
> >  <2009-03-18 Wed 12:15-13:35>
> >  Description of Task 2
> > ** Task 3
> >   SCHEDULED: <2009-03-11 Wed 19:55-21:45> CLOSED: [2009-03-12 Thu 23:29]
> >   Result of Task 3
> >
> > For task 3 the time calculated should be 2009-03-11 19:55-21:45 that mean
> > 1:50 hours.
> >
> > I have quite a number of items and I wonder if there is an easy way to
> > sum up all the time spent on the project (similar to what you can do with
> > clocked items)?
>
> You mean "time meant to be spent" on the project, right? ;-) Since the
> actual time
> spent should be clocked.
>
> Anyhow, you can set org-columns-default-format, e.g.:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> (setq org-columns-default-format "%TODO %60ITEM(Task)
> %5Effort(Estim){:} %5CLOCKSUM(Clock)")
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Then switch to column view using C-c C-x C-c.  Effort column should reflect
> the totals for the time you planned to spend on the tasks in the top most
> line.
>
> HTH

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Easiest way to calculate time spent
  2009-04-06 20:14   ` Rainer Hansen
@ 2009-04-06 21:17     ` Manish
  2009-04-06 21:21     ` Matthew Lundin
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Manish @ 2009-04-06 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > On Monday 06 April 2009 19:37:07 Manish wrote:
    >> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Rainer Hansen wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I am new to Org-Mode and I have written a number of project
tasks in the
    >> > following form:
    >> >
    >> > * Project
    >> > ** Task 1
    >> > <2009-03-19 Thu 13:15-13:35>
    >> > Description of Task 1
    >> > ** Task 2
    >> > <2009-03-18 Wed 12:15-13:35>
    >> > Description of Task 2
    >> > ** Task 3
    >> >  SCHEDULED: <2009-03-11 Wed 19:55-21:45> CLOSED: [2009-03-12 Thu 23:29]
    >> >  Result of Task 3
    >> >
    >> > For task 3 the time calculated should be 2009-03-11
19:55-21:45 that mean
    >> > 1:50 hours.
    >> >
    >> > I have quite a number of items and I wonder if there is an easy way to
    >> > sum up all the time spent on the project (similar to what you
can do with
    >> > clocked items)?
    >>
    >> You mean "time meant to be spent" on the project, right? ;-) Since the
    >> actual time
    >> spent should be clocked.
    >>
    >> Anyhow, you can set org-columns-default-format, e.g.:
    >>
    >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    >> (setq org-columns-default-format "%TODO %60ITEM(Task)
    >> %5Effort(Estim){:} %5CLOCKSUM(Clock)")
    >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
    >>
    >> Then switch to column view using C-c C-x C-c. Effort column
should reflect
    >> the totals for the time you planned to spend on the tasks in the top most
    >> line.

  On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Rainer Hansen wrote:
  > Hi Manish,
  >
  > thanks for the tip but it does not seem to work. All columns seem
to be filled
  > with values except of the Estim colum. There are no values displayed.
  >
  > I have done the clocking manually without the help of Org-Mode.
The values in
  > my case are actually no estimates but rather the clocked values. Now I want
  > to sum them up to see how many hours I have spent on the project.

Unless the values are in the format that Org uses to clock time spent on tasks
it will not be able to process it.  In future you can start and stop the clock
with point on the task and pressing C-c C-x C-i and C-c C-x C-o respectively
while in Org file or using I and O while in agenda view.  See
http://orgmode.org/manual/Clocking-work-time.html#Clocking-work-time for
details.

Since you have already worked and noted the times, you will again have to do
some more manual work to get what you want from Org.  You will need to add a
LOGBOOK drawer beneath every task you want to record time for - you can either
copy-paste or can try C-c C-x p to add the drawer.  Then you can add the time
periods like shown below.  A quick way would be to just clock in and out of
task so as to get clock lines there and either manually edit the times or use
magical Shift-up or Shift-down to adjust the clock lines.  You can press C-c
C-y on the clock line in case you manually edit the time to recompute the
totals.

,----
| * A Task
|   :LOGBOOK:
|   CLOCK: [2009-04-07 Tue 02:30]--[2009-04-07 Tue 03:00] =>  0:30
|   CLOCK: [2009-04-07 Tue 01:00]--[2009-04-07 Tue 02:00] =>  1:00
|   :END:
`----

Once you have clocked times like this then you can get the total for the time
spent under CLOCKSUM column in column view or you can get a report in the
agenda file itself with clocktable report (C-c C-x C-r).

HTH
-- 
Manish

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Easiest way to calculate time spent
  2009-04-06 20:14   ` Rainer Hansen
  2009-04-06 21:17     ` Manish
@ 2009-04-06 21:21     ` Matthew Lundin
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-06 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Hansen <rainer.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> thanks for the tip but it does not seem to work. All columns seem to
> be filled with values except of the Estim colum. There are no values
> displayed.
>
> I have done the clocking manually without the help of Org-Mode. The
> values in my case are actually no estimates but rather the clocked
> values. Now I want to sum them up to see how many hours I have spent
> on the project.

Unless you enter your clocked time as a property, org columns will not
be able to do anything with it.

Your best bet, however, would be to use org-mode's excellent clocking
functionality (see description below).

>> > I am new to Org-Mode and I have written a number of project tasks in the
>> > following form:
>> >
>> > * Project
>> > ** Task 1
>> >  <2009-03-19 Thu 13:15-13:35>
>> >  Description of Task 1
>> > ** Task 2
>> >  <2009-03-18 Wed 12:15-13:35>
>> >  Description of Task 2
>> > ** Task 3
>> >   SCHEDULED: <2009-03-11 Wed 19:55-21:45> CLOSED: [2009-03-12 Thu 23:29]
>> >   Result of Task 3
>> >
>> > For task 3 the time calculated should be 2009-03-11 19:55-21:45 that mean
>> > 1:50 hours.
>> >
>> > I have quite a number of items and I wonder if there is an easy way to
>> > sum up all the time spent on the project (similar to what you can do with
>> > clocked items)?     

What you have done above is scheduled the tasks to occupy certain time
intervals in your agenda/planner. E.g., Task 1 is scheduled on March 11
from 19:55 to 21:45.

This is *not* the same thing as clocking time spent working on an item.
As far as I know, org-mode cannot calculate time totals based on the
SCHEDULED timestamps.

To log items you will need to clock in on a headling using C-c C-x C-i
and clock out using C-c C-x C-o. Org mode will then create a clock line
listing starting time, ending time, and total time spent.

See this section of the manual for more information:

http://orgmode.org/org.html#Clocking-work-time

>> Anyhow, you can set org-columns-default-format, e.g.:
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> (setq org-columns-default-format "%TODO %60ITEM(Task)
>> %5Effort(Estim){:} %5CLOCKSUM(Clock)")
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>

The clocksum in Manish's example will add the the total time logged via
the method I have described above. 

Estimated effort is a special property that you would need to enter
yourself for each item. (But it sounds as if you are not really
interested in that.)

Hope this helps.

Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-04-06 21:21 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-04-06 12:35 Easiest way to calculate time spent Rainer Hansen
2009-04-06 17:37 ` Manish
2009-04-06 20:14   ` Rainer Hansen
2009-04-06 21:17     ` Manish
2009-04-06 21:21     ` Matthew Lundin

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).