* [BUG] on export resulting in endless evaluation
@ 2015-02-06 10:06 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-02-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

when exporting the fillowing org file, I get an endless loop of
evaluations.

This happens with only orgmode and languages enabled

,----
| GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, Carbon Version 157 AppKit 1343.16) of 2015-02-02 on Rainers-MacBook-Pro-4.local
| Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-798-g528b90 @ /Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)
`----

#+PROPERTY: header-args :exports both
#+PROPERTY: header-args+ :results output
* The bug
This file create an (possibly endless?) loop during export
* here exports both
#+begin_src R
cat(13+14)
#+end_src

* and here only code
:PROPERTIES:
:header-args+: exports code
:END:
#+begin_src R
paste(13+14)
#+end_src

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [BUG] on export resulting in endless evaluation
@ 2015-02-06 17:50 ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2015-02-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer <at> krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> when exporting the fillowing org file, I get an endless loop of
> evaluations.
>
> This happens with only orgmode and languages enabled
>
> ,----
> | GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, Carbon Version 157
> | Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-798-g528b90  <at>
> `----

> #+PROPERTY: header-args :exports both
> #+PROPERTY: header-args+ :results output
> * The bug
> This file create an (possibly endless?) loop during export
> * here exports both
> #+begin_src R
> cat(13+14)
> #+end_src
>
> * and here only code
> :PROPERTIES:
> :header-args+: exports code
> :END:
> #+begin_src R
> paste(13+14)
> #+end_src

Add this to the end of your example and run the src block:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results pp
(org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: ":exports both :results output exports code"

As you see the property API merely adds the `exports code' to the end of the
 "header-args"value.

Babel then ignores the 'exports' and you end up with `:results output code'
which creates an executable src block. Since :exports both' is set, that src
block is executed. And so on.

A bug?

I guess Babel could do a better job of screening header-args and barf if invalid
args are submitted. I believe that `org-babel-merge-params' is the place where
a check could be introduced, but AFAICS there is none such.

Of course `:exports code' solves this, but I think you knew that. :-)

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: [BUG] on export resulting in endless evaluation
@ 2015-02-07 14:46   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-02-07 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer <at> krugs.de> writes:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> when exporting the fillowing org file, I get an endless loop of
>> evaluations.
>>
>> This happens with only orgmode and languages enabled
>>
>> ,----
>> | GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, Carbon Version 157
>> | Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-798-g528b90  <at>
>> `----

>> #+PROPERTY: header-args :exports both
>> #+PROPERTY: header-args+ :results output
>> * The bug
>> This file create an (possibly endless?) loop during export
>> * here exports both
>> #+begin_src R
>> cat(13+14)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> * and here only code
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :header-args+: exports code
>> :END:
>> #+begin_src R
>> paste(13+14)
>> #+end_src
>>

> Add this to the end of your example and run the src block:
>

> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results pp
> (org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : ":exports both :results output exports code"

Very useful function - I think I will use it quite often! I would have
seen the problem immediately - the missing :

> As you see the property API merely adds the `exports code' to the end of the
>  "header-args"value.
>
> Babel then ignores the 'exports'

I assume because it does not know it - which makes sense.

> and you end up with `:results output code' which creates an executable
> src block. Since :exports both' is set, that src block is
> executed. And so on.

OK - I think I understand this logic.

> A bug?

Not actually a bug I would say now, but mailny a user error (I did
forget the :...)

> I guess Babel could do a better job of screening header-args and barf if invalid
> args are submitted.

This would be really nice. Also, possibly in the message buffer show the
header-args when a block is executed would make this kind of error more obvious?

> I believe that `org-babel-merge-params' is the place where a check
> could be introduced, but AFAICS there is none such.

There should be at least a warning, if not an error thrown, if an
invalid header argument is passed.

> Of course `:exports code' solves this, but I think you knew that. :-)

Now I know...

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2015-02-09 11:00     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-02-09 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Charles Berry <ccberry-XkckGZ689+c@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Rainer M Krug <Rainer <at> krugs.de> writes:
>>>
>>> when exporting the fillowing org file, I get an endless loop of
>>> evaluations.
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> #+PROPERTY: header-args :exports both
>>> #+PROPERTY: header-args+ :results output
>>> * The bug
>>> This file create an (possibly endless?) loop during export
>>> * here exports both
>>> #+begin_src R
>>> cat(13+14)
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> * and here only code
>>> :PROPERTIES:
>>> :header-args+: exports code
>>> :END:
>>> #+begin_src R
>>> paste(13+14)
>>> #+end_src
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> Add this to the end of your example and run the src block:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results pp
>> (org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+RESULTS:
>> : ":exports both :results output exports code"
>
> Very useful function - I think I will use it quite often! I would have
> seen the problem immediately - the missing :

FWIW, `C-c C-v I' (or `C-c C-v C-I') would show you:

Lang: R
Header Arguments:
        :cache          no
        :exports        code
        :hlines         no
        :noweb          no
        :results        replace
        :session        none
        :tangle         no
        exports         code

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [BUG] on export resulting in endless evaluation
@ 2015-02-09 12:25       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-02-09 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Charles Berry <ccberry-XkckGZ689+c@public.gmane.org> writes:

>>> Add this to the end of your example and run the src block:
>>>
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results pp
>>> (org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)
>>> #+END_SRC
>>>
>>> #+RESULTS:
>>> : ":exports both :results output exports code"
>>
>> Very useful function - I think I will use it quite often! I would have
>> seen the problem immediately - the missing :
>
> FWIW, `C-c C-v I' (or `C-c C-v C-I') would show you:

Now this is really helpful.

Brilliant.

Now If I do this in the faulty block, I get:

,----
| Lang: R
| Header Arguments:
| 	:cache		no
| 	:exports	both
| 	:hlines		no
| 	:noweb		no
| 	:results	code exports output replace
| 	:session	none
| 	:tangle		no
`----

And I can see if something is wrong.

One question remains: to debug wrong header arguments, it would be useful to
see, in addition to the resulting header arguments, where they came
from, especially the header-args argument would be useful to see.

So I added the line

(when header-args     (funcall printf "header-args: %s\n"     header-args))

to the output, and was surprised:

Using the second code block in my example, I get (line breaks and bold added for
readability):

,----
| Lang: R
| header-args: ((:comments . ) (:shebang . ) (:cache . no) (:padline . )
| (:noweb . no) (:tangle . no) (:exports . both) (:results . code exports
| output replace) (:hlines . no) (:session . none))
| Header Arguments:
| 	:cache		no
| 	:exports	both
| 	:hlines		no
| 	:noweb		no
| 	:results	code exports output replace
| 	:session	none
| 	:tangle		no
`----

1) I thought that header-args is simply a string, but it already seems
to be a list?

2) Am I right in assuming that when I use header-args, the string passed
is parsed and then either set as header-args or, if using header-args+,
added to the header-args?

3) even when using +, the previously set value *of the header argument* is overwritten?

4) if an invalid string is given, where is it appended? Woulddn't it
make sense to only accept values of the pattern =:headerArgument string=
to avoid these kind of user errors?

5) Is there any way in getting, in this function, the same output
(header-args) as from the code block suggested by Charles:

--

@ 2015-02-10  0:44         ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2015-02-10  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer <at> krugs.de> writes:

> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@...>
> writes:
>
> > Rainer M Krug wrote:

[discussion of problem, diagnostic methods, and cures deleted]

> 1) I thought that header-args is simply a string, but it already seems
> to be a list?

Depends on which `header-args' one is discussing:

1. A property, as in `(org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)'

2. The value of `(nth 2 (org-babel-get-src-block-info))'

3. The value of an elisp variable like `org-babel-default-header-args'

4. The 4th string matched by `org-babel-src-block-regexp'

5. The first string matched by `org-babel-multi-line-header-regexp'

1, 4 and 5 are strings. 2 and 3 are lists.

[more questions deleted]

Exactly what happens and when is a long story, involving a bunch of
functions.

You might start by reading `org-babel-get-src-block-info' and
`org-babel-merge-params'.

I think most of what you need to know really is in

   (info "(org) Using header arguments")
and
   (info "(org) Property syntax")

Just remember that a property called `header-args' is a string until Babel
starts working on it.

> 5) Is there any way in getting, in this function, the same output
> (header-args) as from the code block suggested by Charles:

You might try

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results pp
   (cons (org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)

@ 2015-02-10  8:25           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-02-10  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode