* FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-23 18:48 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-02-23 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

It would be nice to have an [[Org mode link]]

# in a line that is [[commented]] and still

be able to see that link. Currently, there is no visual indication
that the link exists, although it still does work.

  -k.

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-23 19:32 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-02-23 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> It would be nice to have an [[Org mode link]]
>
> # in a line that is [[commented]] and still
>
> be able to see that link. Currently, there is no visual indication
> that the link exists, although it still does work.

It works as a convenience feature. However, I don't think we should
publicize it much, as a comment is first and foremost, dead data.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-23 19:46   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-02-23 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Nicolas,

On 2015-02-23 at 14:32, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:
> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It would be nice to have an [[Org mode link]]
>>
>> # in a line that is [[commented]] and still
>>
>> be able to see that link. Currently, there is no visual
>> indication that the link exists, although it still does work.
>
> It works as a convenience feature. However, I don't think we
> should publicize it much, as a comment is first and foremost,
> dead data.

To me comments are mainly things that don't get exported. I don't
know what you mean by "dead", but comments are certainly "data",
and data is not dead. Their utility and data density is reduced if
they can't contain links (or I can't see that the link is there,
which is sort-of the same thing).

When writing a document it is useful to leave informal notes to
myself that say "see X" where X is an external file, or a section
(or some code) elsewhere in this document, etc.

This can be done with "#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE :exports none", or
"**SECTION :noexport:", but both of those are awful hacks when a
single line or a few words are all that is needed.

@ 2015-02-24  8:13     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-02-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org-mode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> To me comments are mainly things that don't get exported.

Comments are much more than that. They also deactivate the syntax (which
is what I call "dead" syntax).

  * Headline
    # SCHEDULED: <2015-02-24 Tue>

  (org-entry-get nil "SCHEDULED") => nil

> Their utility and data density is reduced if they can't contain links
> (or I can't see that the link is there, which is sort-of the same
> thing).
>
> When writing a document it is useful to leave informal notes to myself
> that say "see X" where X is an external file, or a section (or some
> code) elsewhere in this document, etc.

They cannot contain link, nor anything else. However, the feature you
describe above was deemed useful enough that `org-open-at-point'
sloppily opens anything looking like a link (or a timestamp) within
a comment.

However, there is, per syntax, no link there, and I don't think it
should be fontified.

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-24 12:53       ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-02-24 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org-mode

> They cannot contain link, nor anything else. However, the feature you
> describe above was deemed useful enough that `org-open-at-point'
> sloppily opens anything looking like a link (or a timestamp) within
> a comment.
>
> However, there is, per syntax, no link there, and I don't think it
> should be fontified.

AUCTeX has a variable named `LaTeX-syntactic-comments' :
,----
| User option: If non-nil comments will be handled according to LaTeX
|                syntax.
`----
In AUCTeX, it is mainly about filling and indentation, but in Org it
could mean "let the usual (interactive) commands pretend we're not in a
comment". If Org is to adopt such a variable, it could fontify
according to what the interactive commands will do.

Would that be acceptable ? It could be made a minor mode.

--
Nicolas Richard.

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-24 14:10         ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-02-24 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: Org-mode

On 2015-02-24 at 07:53, Nicolas Richard
<theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>> They cannot contain link, nor anything else. However, the
>> feature you describe above was deemed useful enough that
>> `org-open-at-point' sloppily opens anything looking like a link
>> (or a timestamp) within a comment.
>>
>> However, there is, per syntax, no link there, and I don't think
>> it should be fontified.
>
> AUCTeX has a variable named `LaTeX-syntactic-comments' : ,---- |
> User option: If non-nil comments will be handled according to
> LaTeX |                syntax.  `---- In AUCTeX, it is mainly
> about filling and indentation, but in Org it could mean "let the
> usual (interactive) commands pretend we're not in a comment". If
> Org is to adopt such a variable, it could fontify according to
> what the interactive commands will do.
>
> Would that be acceptable ? It could be made a minor mode.

It would certainly be acceptable to me...

@ 2015-02-24 14:37         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-02-24 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: Org-mode, Ken Mankoff

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> In AUCTeX, it is mainly about filling and indentation, but in Org it
> could mean "let the usual (interactive) commands pretend we're not in a
> comment". If Org is to adopt such a variable, it could fontify
> according to what the interactive commands will do.

This is orthogonal to the current problem. `org-open-at-point' already
pretends it is not in a comment, but the OP is asking for special
fontification.

> Would that be acceptable ? It could be made a minor mode.

I don't know what are "the usual (interactive) commands", so I cannot
tell. However, it sounds like a can of worms, and should probably be
done on a case by case basis, like `org-open-at-point' currently does.

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-24 15:05           ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-02-24 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff, Org-mode

Le 24/02/2015 15:37, Nicolas Goaziou a écrit :
> Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:
>
>> In AUCTeX, it is mainly about filling and indentation, but in Org it
>> could mean "let the usual (interactive) commands pretend we're not in a
>> comment". If Org is to adopt such a variable, it could fontify
>> according to what the interactive commands will do.
>
> This is orthogonal to the current problem. `org-open-at-point' already
> pretends it is not in a comment, but the OP is asking for special
> fontification.

I was suggesting to put these two worms in the same can, which could be
opened by turning org-syntactic-comments-mode on, where all the hideous
special-casing could be done instead of the org core.

>> Would that be acceptable ? It could be made a minor mode.
>
> I don't know what are "the usual (interactive) commands", so I cannot
> tell.

Tbh, I'm not sure what the others are either. Maybe links are the only
syntactic elements which make sense inside comments, so there isn't
anything else beyond org-open-at-point. If that is the case, I'm just
making noise for no reason -- sorry about that.

Nicolas.

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-24 19:57           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-02-24 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard, Ken Mankoff, Org-mode

with org-mouse, i sometimes click in the middle of a comment and get
surprised that a link opened.

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-24 19:57             ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-02-24 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard, Ken Mankoff, Org-mode

inline footnotes too!

@ 2015-02-24 20:02               ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-02-24 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Nicolas Richard, Org-mode, Ken Mankoff

> inline footnotes too!

That shouldn't happen, at least in development version.  If you can
reproduce it, please send an ECM.

Regards

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: FR: Fontify links even when in comments
@ 2015-02-24 20:26                 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-02-24 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, Nicolas Richard, Ken Mankoff, Org-mode

On 2/24/15, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> That shouldn't happen, at least in development version.  If you can
> reproduce it, please send an ECM.

thank you.  it is maint, so it's probably fine in master.

btw, my only concern with semantic footnote highlighting is that i
just cannot get used to only allowing a single paragraph in inline
[unlike non-inline where multiple paragraphs are ok].  i have a filter
to fix that that you kindly provided, but it would look awful if they
were not highlighted as footnotes.