* Tags right alignment with font-lock
@ 2023-12-02 11:28 Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2023-12-02 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm using font lock to have tags right aligned with the following
code:

;; Right alignment (char wise)
(add-to-list 'font-lock-extra-managed-props 'display)
(font-lock-add-keywords 'org-mode
  `(("^\\*+.*?\\( \\)\\(:[[:alnum:]_@#%:]+:\\)$"
     (1 `(face nil
               display (space :align-to (- right 3
                                           ,(org-string-width
                                           (match-string 2)))))
        prepend))) t)

;; Right alignment (pixel wise)
;;(font-lock-add-keywords 'org-mode
;;   `(("^\\*+.*?\\( \\)\\(:[[:alnum:]_@#%:]+:\\)$"
;;      (1 `(face nil
;;                display (space :align-to (- right 3
;;                                            (,(org-string-width
                                              (match-string 2)
                                              t)))))
;;         prepend))) t)

I've not tested it thoroughly but it seems to be working
reasonably well on my machine. It is pretty similar to the code
posted by Ihor Radchenko (thread on "variable-pitch-mode misaligns
org-mode heading tags") and I wonder if there are any drawback
with such techniques (too slow? does not work on all situations?)

Nicolas

--
Nicolas P. Rougier —— www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier
Institute of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Bordeaux

* Re: Tags right alignment with font-lock
@ 2023-12-08 15:45 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

> I'm using font lock to have tags right aligned with the following
> code:
>
> ;; Right alignment (char wise)
> (add-to-list 'font-lock-extra-managed-props 'display)
> (font-lock-add-keywords 'org-mode
>   `(("^\\*+.*?\\( \\)\\(:[[:alnum:]_@#%:]+:\\)$"
>      (1 `(face nil
>                display (space :align-to (- right 3
>                                            ,(org-string-width
>                                            (match-string 2)))))
>         prepend))) t)
> I've not tested it thoroughly but it seems to be working
> reasonably well on my machine. It is pretty similar to the code
> posted by Ihor Radchenko (thread on "variable-pitch-mode misaligns
> org-mode heading tags") and I wonder if there are any drawback
> with such techniques (too slow? does not work on all situations?)

The above code has problems when you try editing the heading near the
end of the title (before the :align-to space). Especially when the
window is narrow. Also, when `org-auto-align-tags' is nil.

Not that they cannot be solved, but it is not just as trivial as the
above code.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Tags right alignment with font-lock
@ 2023-12-08 16:21   ` Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria) @ 2023-12-08 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> The above code has problems when you try editing the heading
> near the
> end of the title (before the :align-to space). Especially when
> the
> window is narrow. Also, when `org-auto-align-tags' is nil.
> Not that they cannot be solved, but it is not just as trivial as
> the
> above code.

Thanks, I noticed the problem and alleviated it by having two
spaces at end of the title (and set org-tags-column to nil) but I
see why it's not really usable

Nicolas