* latex export for 4th-level heading
@ 2014-07-09 17:05 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-07-09 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When exporting to LaTeX, fourth-level headings become \enumerate. In
LaTeX, the item below \subsubsection is \paragraph, not \enumerate.

Here is what happens:

* Top becomes \section
** Second becomes \subsection
*** Third becomes \subsubsection
**** Fourth becomes \enumerate

Is there a way to set Fourth to either \paragraph or just nothing?

 -k.

* Re: latex export for 4th-level heading
@ 2014-07-10 21:08 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-10 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Ken,

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> When exporting to LaTeX, fourth-level headings become \enumerate. In
> LaTeX, the item below \subsubsection is \paragraph, not \enumerate.
>
> Here is what happens:
>
> * Top becomes \section
> ** Second becomes \subsection
> *** Third becomes \subsubsection
> **** Fourth becomes \enumerate
>
> Is there a way to set Fourth to either \paragraph or just nothing?

Only the first three outline levels will be used as headings. Deeper
levels will become itemized lists. You can change the location of this
switch globally by setting the variable org-export-headline-levels, or
on a per-file basis with a line

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: latex export for 4th-level heading
@ 2014-07-10 21:13   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-07-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* On 2014-07-10 at 17:08, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Aloha Ken,
>
> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When exporting to LaTeX, fourth-level headings become \enumerate. In
>> LaTeX, the item below \subsubsection is \paragraph, not \enumerate.
>>
>> Here is what happens:
>>
>> * Top becomes \section
>> ** Second becomes \subsection
>> *** Third becomes \subsubsection
>> **** Fourth becomes \enumerate
>>
>> Is there a way to set Fourth to either \paragraph or just nothing?
>
> Only the first three outline levels will be used as headings. Deeper
> levels will become itemized lists. You can change the location of this
> switch globally by setting the variable org-export-headline-levels, or
> on a per-file basis with a line

Thanks. That makes sense. I thought that was just for controlling the
TOC depth, but it makes sense it controls content headings too.

@ 2014-07-10 21:20     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-10 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> * On 2014-07-10 at 17:08, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> Aloha Ken,
>>
>> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> When exporting to LaTeX, fourth-level headings become \enumerate. In
>>> LaTeX, the item below \subsubsection is \paragraph, not \enumerate.
>>>
>>> Here is what happens:
>>>
>>> * Top becomes \section
>>> ** Second becomes \subsection
>>> *** Third becomes \subsubsection
>>> **** Fourth becomes \enumerate
>>>
>>> Is there a way to set Fourth to either \paragraph or just nothing?
>>
>> Only the first three outline levels will be used as headings. Deeper
>> levels will become itemized lists. You can change the location of this
>> switch globally by setting the variable org-export-headline-levels, or
>> on a per-file basis with a line

> Thanks. That makes sense. I thought that was just for controlling the
> TOC depth, but it makes sense it controls content headings too.

The table of contents is normally inserted directly before the first
headline of the file.

hth,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813