* export subtree from the command line
@ 2015-02-05 12:13 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-02-05 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm teaching a class where I have a big monolithic file for all the
lectures. Right now I export each lecture as a subtree from the file
itself, but I would like to do it from a Makefile. Is it possible to
export a subtree from the command line? if so, how do I specify the
subtree that I want?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: export subtree from the command line
@ 2015-02-05 16:27 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-02-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm teaching a class where I have a big monolithic file for all the
> lectures. Right now I export each lecture as a subtree from the file
> itself, but I would like to do it from a Makefile. Is it possible to
> export a subtree from the command line? if so, how do I specify the
> subtree that I want?

Use an ID property for the subtree.

A small *.el file can set prereqs, find the subtree from the ID, and
call up the exporter.

`make test' does something like this. If you look at
testing/lisp/test-ob.el, testing/examples/babel.org, and the testing/*.el
files you can see some of this in action.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: export subtree from the command line
@ 2015-02-06 12:01   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-02-06 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-02-05 08:27, "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm teaching a class where I have a big monolithic file for all the
>> lectures. Right now I export each lecture as a subtree from the file
>> itself, but I would like to do it from a Makefile. Is it possible to
>> export a subtree from the command line? if so, how do I specify the
>> subtree that I want?
>
> Use an ID property for the subtree.
>
> A small *.el file can set prereqs, find the subtree from the ID, and
> call up the exporter.
>
> `make test' does something like this. If you look at
> testing/lisp/test-ob.el, testing/examples/babel.org, and the
> testing/*.el files you can see some of this in action.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Alan

--

@ 2015-02-08  0:55     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-02-08  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles C. Berry

For a different approach, you could make this kind of an emacs script. I
have not done this too often, and it can be tricky to setup and debug.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :tangle export-org-section :shebang #!/bin/sh
:;exec emacs -batch  -l ~/Dropbox/kitchingroup/jmax/init.el -l "$0" "$@"

;; usage: export-org-section section-id org-file

;; now goto, narrow and export the section
(let ((section-id (pop command-line-args-left))
      (org-file (pop command-line-args-left)))
  (print (format "Opened %s" org-file))
  (find-file (expand-file-name org-file))
  (org-open-link-from-string (format "[[#%s]]" section-id))
  (org-narrow-to-subtree)
  (org-latex-export-to-pdf)
)
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results silent
rm -f blog.pdf
./export-org-section sec-2 blog.org
open blog.pdf
#+END_SRC

I adapted this from here:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/08/06/Writing-scripts-in-Emacs-lisp/

and here:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/08/11/Using-org-mode-outside-of-Emacs-sort-of/

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

@ 2015-02-09 12:01       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-02-09 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles C. Berry

On 2015-02-07 19:55, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> For a different approach, you could make this kind of an emacs script. I
> have not done this too often, and it can be tricky to setup and debug.

Very interesting! Thank you for the suggestion.

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7