From: John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com>
Cc: Vikas Rawal <vikasrawal@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [oc] provide style/citation preview?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:43:47 -0400	[thread overview]

I think this kind of preview is well-suited for external packages.

There is a subtle point I ran into with this preview approach though,
and that is what is the backend export you want to see? People expect
one source (org) to export to different backends, and even use one
source to make a PDF and HTML (and maybe others). Now it also possible
to use different citation styles for different backends, and the
backends may use different citation processors (e.g. bib(la)tex or CSL).
I felt this was too complex to try to get right in one package. External
packages could provide any subset of these they want, e.g. the way
https://github.com/andras-simonyi/org-cite-csl-activate does. My opinion
of course.

I think the basic CSL styled citation tooltip that is independent of the
final state is a good compromise. The point is to give enough context
about the key to tell you what it is without visiting the source, and if
you need more, you go visit the source (bibtex file, org file, etc.).

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F